1979 MGB Original carpet color?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

marman2175 Mike Armando
Lake in the Hills, IL, USA   USA
I bought '79 MGB in November. The interior is tan except for the center counsel which is black. The carpet behind the seats is tan. There isn't any carpet in passenger compartment. Is the black carpet on the center counsel normal? And what color should the passenger compartment carpet be? Black or tan?

Thanks,

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
I know my ‘77 has a mix of autumn leaf carpet behind the seats with black carpet everywhere else. Maybe this was done right through to ‘79?

jonbok Avatar
jonbok Silver Member Jon Bok
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
My 79 was tan behind the seats and black everywhere else too. It was the original carpet and had never been replaced. When I replaced it I went with all black. I like both black and tan, so it was a toss-up. I guess to do it to “original” you’d have to buy two carpet kits, so maybe it’s best to go with whichever color you like better.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, NY, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
My 79 also a Black and Tan

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

briandubuc Avatar
briandubuc Gold Member Brian M. Dubuc
Roswell, GA, USA   USA
1976 Datsun 280Z
1977 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB
According to Clausager ("Original MGB"winking smiley, later model Bs with certain color schemes had the combo cartpet - black in front and autumn leaf in back. The Roadster Factory actually sells carpet sets with this scheme to maintain originality.

scoutingon Avatar
scoutingon Wayne L
Islamorada, FL, USA   USA
I purchased my 78B New from the Dealer.

Unless they made a change in 79, all carpet is black except for the rear ledge where there is Autumn lief.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 08:45 AM by scoutingon.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
My '79 Brooklands Green car was ordered new and had the Autumn leaf carpet in the back.

Only changes from new in this pic was that I added a driving light switch to the blank on the upper left of the dash, a manual choke to the blank on the right side of the dash and the optional tan coco floor mats that came with it had worn out so I put in some of the black carpeted style with rubber backing. Of course the A/C was dealer added. Oh and I added a Sun Amp gauge in place of the cigarette lighter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 08:29 AM by Tbird.

Attachments:
DSC00052.JPG    57.4 KB
DSC00052.JPG

scoutingon Avatar
scoutingon Wayne L
FYI My 78B also purchased new from the dealer has the magazine box on the passenger side. I can't imagine giving up more of my pedal space on the driver side!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680477 by scoutingon FYI My 78B also purchased new from the dealer has the magazine box on the passenger side. I can't imagine giving up more of my pedal space on the driver side!

I hear that! That is my left foot rest & home of my dead pedal.

My '79 also came "Black & Tan" inside.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
I don't remember moving the magazine box but that was a few years ago..... grinning smiley ...... so it is a possibility. I'll have to dig out some old pics.

Guess it could have been moved by the dealer to instal the A/C.

There's not much space between the evaporator and the side wall.

scoutingon Avatar
scoutingon Wayne L
My guess is that the dealer did the swap due to the A/C install

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Mike.

As you have no doubt figured by now, late MGBs with light interiors (Beige or Autumn Leaf) had a mix of carpeting. Black in the front and Autumn Leaf in some rear areas. I've yet to see any documentation on why this was done, but I have a theory.

Prior to 1977 the floors and frame rails had molded rubber coverings. On cars with light interiors (Ochre, Autumn Leaf) these were painted to match the seats (special rubber paint). My theory is that only black carpet was sourced to cover these areas when the decision was made to use carpet. There was existing stock of Autumn Leaf rear carpet, which would lighten the interior somewhat, but the front area used the black tunnel and foot well carpeting to match the newly commissioned black floor carpeting.

My theory would be shot out of the water if someone has evidence of an original floor carpet in a 1977-80 car that isn't black.

princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
I recently bought a ‘79 and had two carpet colors as most have mentioned. The tan seats were sagging and faded, headrests worse, doorcards painted and sticky...just gross. With all else being original, I ordered a Heritage Cert. for my car and I was surprised that it had no mention of interior color. So the entire interior will be black within a month or two...seats, carpet (everywhere), door cards, front kick and rear panels, back panel, center console, and door caps.

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster