Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

YMFTS2BB Eric Marburg
Madisonville, TN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I have a 76 mg mgb and I am looking for a hardtop. I was thinking of a Miata hard too but don’t know if it will match up that well. What have you all done. Also I just got a ford 302 that I am rebuilding to put in it. Any suggestions on a transmission?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Forget the Miata top....not even close. They spring up for sale from time to time on the Buy, Sell & Trade forum here, as well as on eBay and Craigslist...

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Join the engine swaps forum.
Visit http://www.mantellmotorsport.com

Get out lots of money, learn lots of fabrication skills.
T5 5speed

In reply to # 3680091 by YMFTS2BB I have a 76 mg mgb and I am looking for a hardtop. I was thinking of a Miata hard too but don’t know if it will match up that well. What have you all done. Also I just got a ford 302 that I am rebuilding to put in it. Any suggestions on a transmission?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RIRaven Avatar
RIRaven Silver Member Dave Wilson
Little Compton, RI, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB
Your hardtop guy may be Albert Viator, "albert" on the forum.

Dave

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Apparently this seller in Knoxville has a few.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/british-car-parts/6487643050.html

and a different style in Virginia.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/for/d/mgb-hardtop/6461721204.html

No affiliation and haven't bought from either - just passing on the info.

I ran a hard top on mine for about 10 years. Really nice in the winter and mine had A/C so wound up leaving it on most summers. Of course it was a daily driver then and it was nice to be cool while sitting in traffic with the outside temp around 95 rather than roasting in the sun. Only bad part was it took two people to get the hard top off when I wanted to run the conv top so had to plan ahead. Bought mine new from Snugtop "in the good old days".

Attachments:
ON016m1.jpg    45.8 KB
ON016m1.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Precision still sells them new, but I would go for a factory one.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

mvheim Avatar
mvheim Silver Member Mark Heim
CA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Your biggest problem with buying a hardtop is finding one locally. They are monsters to ship. Most private sellers can't be bothered, so you might as well look at new ones.

I have a Snugtop I would sell cheap, but CA to TN would cost a bundle.

Max Heim
'66 MGB California Melee 2006 & 2014
'66 MGB rolling project

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Different aftermarket style alternative to factory

In reply to # 3680091 by YMFTS2BB I have a 76 mg mgb and I am looking for a hardtop. I was thinking of a Miata hard too but don’t know if it will match up that well. What have you all done. Also I just got a ford 302 that I am rebuilding to put in it. Any suggestions on a transmission?

Attachments:
MGB J&S GTB Hardtop (13).jpg    61.5 KB
MGB J&S GTB Hardtop (13).jpg

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
My thoughts on this subject, based upon experience (which may differ from any experienced by anyone else<G>winking smiley

Craigslist for surrounding area for used ones. Should run around $300 or so. They will have crappy seals, possibly crazed plexi sidelights and backlights. Sensibly, this requires your inspection and possibly trial fitting before purchase. New original seals and glazing probably not available. NOS rubber is hardened and not usable by now. Check that the thing will sit on the driveway straight. Many of these things have been stored leaning up to a garage wall or such and the top's 'glass will take a set—meaning it is no longer going to sit on the car straight. It will be tweaked. And it will leak. Nothing you can do about it. Not knowing this at the time, borrowed $300 from a friend at a car show (Dixon) and bought one that was so bad I ended up cutting it into pieces and tossed it into a dumpster.

And you cannot really examine it from a thousand miles away. Shipping from a distance is very expen$ive. Especially from someone not often shipping such, like taking it to a FedEx or UPS store where it can easily cost 2X or 3X the actual shipper fee.(I had a quote of over $120 to ship a soft top frame (Fed Ex store/Kinkos) with top installed, plus extra for the box)

You can get a brand new "factory replica" hard top from Mini Mania in CA for about $950 plus shipping—they can advise on shipping cost. They are east of Sacramento along I80 so I was going to pick it up if I bought one. The top is by Honeybourne Mouldings in the UK. http://honeybournemouldings.co.uk/

For long range use, extra seals and such for this top can be bought at the same time the top is bought and stashed for use 15 years down the line when they will become NLA. Especially for a third party mfgr.

MiniMania is their US rep. https://www.minimania.com/. Honeybourne refers inquiries to Minimania, they apparently will not ship directly. Not unusual at all.

I came close to buying one myself. I had a used aftermarket hard top, a Snug Top, but since I use the B mostly in "convertible weather" (9 months of the year hereabouts) without any top installed, and had no place to properly store off the car plus I don't like to drive the B in seasonal rainy weather, I decided against it.

Comes out to about the same cost as a used factory top from some of the sellers hereabouts, plus McGregor seals (if available) but not counting any new glazing. But it is new with new proper rubber and so on. AFAIK the backlite is Plexi, but I am not sure.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Greyhound ships them for a fair price.

Ask at your local MG car club

In reply to # 3680890 by mvheim Your biggest problem with buying a hardtop is finding one locally. They are monsters to ship. Most private sellers can't be bothered, so you might as well look at new ones.

I have a Snugtop I would sell cheap, but CA to TN would cost a bundle.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

YMFTS2BB Eric Marburg
Madisonville, TN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I contacted him yesterday. He want $400. I am going to look at them this weekend.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster