AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sill covers
  This topic is about my 1970 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion
jewar Avatar
jewar Silver Member John Warlimont
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Getting ready to put sill covers on the GT. The set that I have is probably 5 years old and I am wondering if they were sold to me because the original buyer realized that they were too thick .I think they are the ones that were having problems a few years back with being too thick. They are heavy and thicker than the originals.
Do I cut my losses and throw them out or did people get them to work. I see that Moss has them back ordered right now.
Thanks for any suggestions, John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 05:14 PM by jewar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
John,

Relatively new to MGs; but just finished (?) restoring mine.

If by "sill" you mean the interior rubber piece that goes along the length of the passenger compartment by the doors, my question would be, "how would thickness affect anything?" unless that fact makes it difficult to install the piece. I would suggest that, unless you don't like the pieces you have, install them anyway, and see what happens over time--you can always replace them later if unsatisfied.

Mine are carpet.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Hi John:

Check the fit of the front and rear quarter liners with the sill rubbers mocked up in place. I think you will find that the thickness of them makes them interfere with the proper fit of the liners, and also the door seal. Every action has a reaction...also you will have to aggressively sand the back side of the sill covers to remove the mold release agent so that they can be glued in place.

I would be looking for another set.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jewar Avatar
Anthony:
Probably going to do that.
I dropped one in place and the fit didn't seem bad but there thick, over a 1/4 inch.
Assuming mold release is white there is none on it .
Might have been previous attempts .
I have a carpet kit, should be a set of carpeted sill covers in it.
I am going to have to try and get a look at a new set.
John

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
John
The thickness you mention, 1/4" is seems awfully thick. You may wish to search out replacements

I think if you install carpet you will be disappointed. The carpet will wear much faster than the rubber, particularly at the clutch foot resting area.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
The replacements are much thicker than the originals but can be made to work.

Before attempting to contact cement these to the seal, you need to clean repeatedly with Prepsol or laquer thinner or some such solvent. Let dry completely. Then hit them with coarse sandpaper. I used a heavy coat of paint-on contact cement on both surfaces to get these to stick.

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Just to add, the problem with carpet is it usually wears bare where your feet drag across the corner.

jewar Avatar
Thanks guy's.
Lately seems to be very few things going easy, see what options I come up with.
I agree I like the looks of sill covers.
John

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
The later carpetbased sill covers were already much thicker than the original rubber only covers, but the later rubber aftermarket ones were also thicker. For a GT it hardly matters IMO, once it is glued in place pushing down the rubber door surrounds downwards in the material on the sill will work as ever. I only found that the hard footwell and side cover mounting required more effort than with the thinner rubber covers. Still, it will always fit in the end, if needed by some preliminary scissorwork or using a Stanley knife on the carpet edges.

Success! smileys with beer

In reply to # 3680063 by jewar Getting ready to put sill covers on the GT. The set that I have is probably 5 years old and I am wondering if they were sold to me because the original buyer realized that they were too thick .I think they are the ones that were having problems a few years back with being too thick. They are heavy and thicker than the originals.
Do I cut my losses and throw them out or did people get them to work. I see that Moss has them back ordered right now.
Thanks for any suggestions, John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 03:47 AM by Donthuis.

jewar Avatar
Replacements don't appear to be a option, all of the vendors are coming out as out of stock including England.
Worry about it again when it get's warmer.

John

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3681931 by jewar Replacements don't appear to be a option, all of the vendors are coming out as out of stock including England.

??

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/new-MGB-MGBGT-Rubber-SILL-Cover-MATS-Set/182352892625?hash=item2a751452d1:g:EtAAAOSwXeJYKLuQ&vxp=mtr

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster