Hood (Bonnet) alignment 2 (too)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Union Bridge, MD, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I would like to get this hood and bumper to align better, (been this way as long as I've had the car). I was thinking I would be able to just loosen a couple of bolts and slide the bumper down but I'm not seeing anyway to do that. Any help? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
hood.jpg    32 KB
hood.jpg

boggsy64 Avatar
boggsy64 Platinum Member Ken Boggs
Brooksville, KY, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Dad's Hand Me Down"
First is the hood off center or the bumper?

1978 MG MGB
Bumper

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dcraddock43 Gold Member Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   USA
Start with the hood at the rear, centered and gapped, see how it all lines up, the hood should fill the opening equally? no ? then loosen the fenders up a little and the bumper as well, unless the car has sustained damage that would not allow it to be aligned there should be enough room to move things around a little.These cars are old now and who knows the real history, if you can't get things to line up the easy way,,, then look for telltale signs of old damage or shoddy repairs on the chassis, like how the doors fit or strange fender gaps.
Good luck
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
boggsy64 Avatar
If it is the bumper (know this by even gap around the hood), then you should remove the bumper and see if the mount plates on the end of the frame rails have been bent (end of frame) or other damage has shoved the bumper to one side?

boggsy64 Avatar
I only say this because the plates on the end of the frame, that my front bumper mount to, were mangled during a crash in my cars previous life! You also have the telltale "cracks" from bondo in the front of the hood (as I did as well). Basically the misalignments I had were from improper repairs from an old crash...

1978 MG MGB
I've had the hood off once or twice so I know it aligns pretty well. Hard to see in the pics but the right side of the bumper is about 1" off the fender, the left side is a 1/2" off the fender and the front is about a 1/2 off. If I could just scooch it down a bit, It'd be happier.

Attachments:
hood gap.jpg    34 KB
hood gap.jpg

bumper left.jpg    39.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bumper right.jpg    34.6 KB
bumper head on.jpg    37.6 KB
hood 5.jpg    29.5 KB
boggsy64 Avatar
There are a number of bolts securing the bumper, I think three or four on each side (mine did not have all of them as I said mangled).... You could just loosen all the bolts and see if you can shift the bumper in the desired direction...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster