Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3679688 by Donthuis Recognising the scarcity of good MGC Tourers, over here in continental Europe this price may well be acceptable. IF of course the innards of this car are just as fine as its outside eye rolling smiley

Lots of MGC Tourers were destroyed in accidents, they were hairy to drive at high speed. As the joke went: for an MGC you need three lines to drive on, the middle for your car and the two lines to the right and the left for escaping to, once a corner in the highway comes along. USA with its lower speed limits may not pose such challenges though.....

I don't find your driving description to be accurate. The speed limit on most of our interstate highways in the US is only 70 MPH but traffic generally moves along at 80-85 on many stretches, comparable to most current speed limits on the Deutche Autobahns of late. The MGC is a fast, comfortable car at those speeds. Even on our back roads the car handles well at speed.

I've had the car up to speeds well past that and it is not "hairy". Perhaps in 1967 on under-inflated, skinny tires, but not today.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
A lot of misinformation regarding the MGC can be found on this thread.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3679915 by Swamperca A lot of misinformation regarding the MGC can be found on this thread.

Amen....

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I knew two MGC owners in the seventies: my MG mech and a room mate at the office. My MG mech drove like the devil and liked faster B's like the C and the V8, both if which he found unstable at higher speeds. He later switched to a Corvette Stingray and a Daimler double six. The 3 lane joke was his. My roommate owned a MGC GT bought for7000 Dutch guilders, he advised against me taking it over for this meagre sum later on also for roadholding reasons and the heat entering the cabin from this larger engine.

More recent roadtests on the C are not as negative as they once where, still a proper engine conversion to the B may well be the better option ìf we look at the UK produced LE50 in GT or Tourer shape. Of course better balanced with the lighter Mazda engine in.

Of the V8 conversions in the UK a MGOC version stands out, since it contains a lot of readily available car parts

Still this ad example looks fine for a car collecting person, if its mechanics are sound.
Repair parts are very difficult to find, so it better be good underneath the bonneteye rolling smiley

In reply to # 3679911 by Mustangsix
In reply to # 3679688 by Donthuis Recognising the scarcity of good MGC Tourers, over here in continental Europe this price may well be acceptable. IF of course the innards of this car are just as fine as its outside eye rolling smiley

Lots of MGC Tourers were destroyed in accidents, they were hairy to drive at high speed. As the joke went: for an MGC you need three lines to drive on, the middle for your car and the two lines to the right and the left for escaping to, once a corner in the highway comes along. USA with its lower speed limits may not pose such challenges though.....

I don't find your driving description to be accurate. The speed limit on most of our interstate highways in the US is only 70 MPH but traffic generally moves along at 80-85 on many stretches, comparable to most current speed limits on the Deutche Autobahns of late. The MGC is a fast, comfortable car at those speeds. Even on our back roads the car handles well at speed.

I've had the car up to speeds well past that and it is not "hairy". Perhaps in 1967 on under-inflated, skinny tires, but not today.

dawvid Avatar
dawvid Silver Member David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
IMO, for 30K , I'd be looking for a very nice original example. That one looks cobbled from a distance, but I could be mistaken.

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
David, where are the cobbled areas??? This C looks better than most I've seen and I've seen a lot of them.

Don, your opinion is valued however it is second hand hearsay. Example of this is your statement about parts. Parts aren't any harder to find than opening up a Moss catalog or contacting a couple of MGC specific parts supplier. Can you give an example of which parts are difficult to find, perhaps I can guide someone to them? As far as the C not being stable at speed that's a new one to me. All of my MGC's are as stable as my MGB's and at 20 MPH faster. I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and find the MGC handles the curvy mountain roads very well. I've also driven both C&B on 3-5000 mile cross country trips to MG event and the C would be my first choice as they ride smoother, quieter and are much more stable at any speed.

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3680033 by dawvid IMO, for 30K , I'd be looking for a very nice original example. That one looks cobbled from a distance, but I could be mistaken.

David

Where does it look cobbled?

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
$30K huh...???eye popping smiley Guess I did pretty good at $15.5! I am open to offers over $28... smoking smiley LOL

The second picture is proof that it actually runs.... moon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 04:50 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
P1080640.JPG    43.5 KB
P1080640.JPG

Bay British Cars 10 01_27_18.jpg    41.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dawvid Avatar
dawvid Silver Member David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680082 by malski
In reply to # 3680033 by dawvid IMO, for 30K , I'd be looking for a very nice original example. That one looks cobbled from a distance, but I could be mistaken.

David

Where does it look cobbled?

So, tough to tell from a picture, but the door gap looks very tight, especially in the rear, almost touching the body and no room to adjust. Sticks in a bit too at the bottom. The seats look grey, but it could just be my screen that makes it look grey. The reflections just over the headlight between the fender and the hood don't look uniform (Looks like the fender/wing is slightly pushed in which is good in that it's not the hood/bonnet. Aren't the directional supposed to be yellow and white? No biggie. The bonnet sticks up a little by the antenna. No biggie. Chicklet headrests are missing but may just be stored elsewhere. It does have nice/beautiful paint.

It's a very nice looker tho and what I see could just be a mirage. I don't mean to turn anyone off if they are interested in purchasing this.

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Do you realize your opinion is also hearsay to me? devil smiley

My roommate already had trouble in having its MGC front suspension repaired in I believe 1973, it is a setup completely different from the B. It was solved by pressing a roller from a roller bearing in. It was yet another reason to sell his MGC again and not to me. A Practical Classic Magazine testimonial in a 2017 article on a complete MGC resto contained more examples.
Maybe US breaker yards are filled more than British ones recognising export priorities with BLMC/BL?

Yet another aspect worth noting on the partially failed MGC project concerns this 3 litre engine, which is both much heavier than antipated by its designers and moreover with only 130 HP too low in power. That's why Healy refused to put this same engine in a new version of his larger Austin-Healy 3000 Tourers, it just did not give sportscar results. Later BLMC explained they focussed more on smooth running for a saloon type of car, the 3 litre Austin (badge-engineered versions never materialised). Still also this 3 litre saloon was found to tame for its price and sold even less than the MGC. production stopped at only 10.090 cars built For those interested see the November 2017 issue of Practical Classic Magazine. It seems putting the wellknown Buick/Rover V8 in was prototyped, but not finalised, an error repeated later on with the Triumph Stag sad smiley BTW, the Universal Motor "Downton" modifications being made to the very last same 3 litre MGC engines came much too late.

Of course these facts hardly count when having an emotional tie to the MG brand as we all have as MGE members, so do cherish your car as much as possible. thumbs up
All the more before gasoline cars disappear from our roads in a few decades max, restricted entry to cities is only the first step in this inevitable proces... eye rolling smiley

In reply to # 3680080 by Swamperca David, where are the cobbled areas??? This C looks better than most I've seen and I've seen a lot of them.

Don, your opinion is valued however it is second hand hearsay. Example of this is your statement about parts. Parts aren't any harder to find than opening up a Moss catalog or contacting a couple of MGC specific parts supplier. Can you give an example of which parts are difficult to find, perhaps I can guide someone to them? As far as the C not being stable at speed that's a new one to me. All of my MGC's are as stable as my MGB's and at 20 MPH faster. I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and find the MGC handles the curvy mountain roads very well. I've also driven both C&B on 3-5000 mile cross country trips to MG event and the C would be my first choice as they ride smoother, quieter and are much more stable at any speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 10:08 AM by Donthuis.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
I would never pay the asking price but there sure are a lot of "cobbled experts" on this thread! LOL And they don't even own a C... I am lucky enough to own both a B/GT and C/GT so I can make a general comparison at least.

Let me tell you, there is much suffering and gnashing of teeth each time I get mine out for a ride. It almost kills me.... The body work is terrible, the suspension sucks and the engine has less power than my neighbors Briggs & Stratton. Can you see the pain in my eyes in the picture above??? Don't knock it till you've tried it!

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Unless you have seen, driven and inspected this car none of you know its worth nor its warts.
Is it worth 30k I have no clue but I will tell you spending 30k on a MGC is quite easy to do.
Ron

johnnyjewel Avatar
johnnyjewel Silver Member Jack Botts
Columbia, MO, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "MooGoo"
I know very little about MGC's but Washington, MO is a short drive from my home, and I usually visit the store about once a year. The vehicles for sale are usually very nice, not always concours, but of a rather high driver quality. The shop does its own restoration when necessary. Wilson took me back there once, and it was clean and well-equipped.

I was rather disappointed in the "MGTD" currently showing. If I were to visit again, I'm afraid I would laugh out loud.

"Everybody matters or nobody matters." Hieronymus Bosch

1958 MG Magnette ZB "MooGoo"
1986 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia
2017 Subaru Impreza 5-Door

cstrong45 Avatar
cstrong45 Charles Strong
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680438 by ron neal Unless you have seen, driven and inspected this car none of you know its worth nor its warts.
Is it worth 30k I have no clue but I will tell you spending 30k on a MGC is quite easy to do.
Ron

Ron, not to argue, but if I say its not worth 30 K to me, then its worth something less to me. If a fool comes along that wants to pay that, 30K, so be it.

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
In reply to # 3680564 by cstrong45
In reply to # 3680438 by ron neal Unless you have seen, driven and inspected this car none of you know its worth nor its warts.
Ron

Ron, not to argue, but if I say its not worth 30 K to me, then its worth something less to me. If a fool comes along that wants to pay that, 30K, so be it.

No arguments from me. The value one puts on a car may or may not be even close to the asking price.
My thinking is its hard to put a value on this car without more information and a comprehensive inspection.
Having said all that any car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept.
Ron

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster