AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

What to do with the engine out
  This topic is about my 1974 MG MGB
Lotus Avatar
Lotus Silver Member Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
So, I will finally receive my rebuilt OD unit and my mechanic is primed and ready to pull the engine to install it.

The shop is fine with me coming in to work on the car while the engine is out (I can use their tools etc.) so my question is:

If you have a few hours to work on your B with the engine out what should you do? There is nothing particularly wrong so I am thinking general maintenance/inspection type stuff. The shop will clean the engine bay for me so that is one thing out of the way.

We have two lives. The second one starts when you realize you only have one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
J Baz Avatar
J Baz Silver Member Jerard Basmagy
Middletown, NJ, USA   USA
The clutch slave flex hose is easiest replaced with the engine out. If you have original brake lines you may want to replace them too. Those are two things I did when I installed my OD transmission.

Also the rear seal on the engine but I assume that's something your mechanic would do for you.

jb

Too soon we get old, too late we get smart!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 08:50 PM by J Baz.

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
Refresh motor mounts.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Let’s see....

Clean, clean, clean.

Engine mounts

Seal the engine up. Paint it.

Clutch slave hose is a good call.

The list can continue...how far do you want to go?

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Check the pads for the front crossmember. You can get to these with the motor in, but being able to get into the engine bay and look at them now will help you see if they are still good.

Cleaning Timm's knob is also easy with the engine out.

Bruce E. Cunha

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
How many miles on the engine?
What oil pressure

Replace clutch and pressure plate
Lighten flywheel to 16 pounds

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
1. Replacing the clutch is very wise since the engine must be removed again when your shift bearing wears out. Mine just did, so it's engine out for me, too.
2. If it needs work, removing the heater box is easier with the engine out.
3. Cleaning the engine bay and touching up the paint where it needs it. Doesn't have to match the exterior exactly. No one cares.
4. Cleaning and repainting the engine itself. Don't use Moss engine paint (bad experiences for me, anyway).
5. That clutch slave hose sounds like a good idea, too.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
I'd be more into paint touch up on everything ...I would be taking advantage to re-paint the steering shaft , the top and in and around the front end and anything else hard to get to with the motor in ..good time to assess condition of any rubber grommets going through the firewall , clean the radiator out , re-paint it , does the radiator support panel need re-painting , do you feel like colour coding it if it already isn't ?...how long have you got ?..lol

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I assume you'll be overhauling the brake and clutch M/C but lift the pedal box and check what's happening underneath -
yes you can do it with engine in but easier when out especially if there's a bit of maintenance needed and install new seals around the pedal box cover - I'm assuming that although it's a '74 it's a single line system.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Lotus Avatar
Lotus Silver Member Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
I am staring to see a pattern here.

The car has about 80,000 Km (50,000 miles) on it but some things (especially rubber) just "get old". As I don't have a local MG parts store, everything I need to replace must be ordered from Moss (Europe) MGOC etc., shipped, passed through Swiss customs ............... In other words I must stock up now with things I "might" need.

Clutch slave hose and motor mounts seem to be on the list but is there anything else? I don't want to spend $1,000 on getting parts that I will probably not need "just in case".

I can leave the car in the shop for a while but would generally only have Saturdays to work on it so, aside from the cost of unneeded bits, I would only like to do the essentials.

Roy

We have two lives. The second one starts when you realize you only have one.

coffeemung9920 Avatar
coffeemung9920 Gold Member James C
Inman, SC, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Miss Take"
1972 MG MGB "Bee 44"
1999 Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD
2010 Mini Cooper    & more
If you have time, do a close inspection of the wiring, connections, et al. Sure can be done with engine in place, but it is out, and the wires just hanging there and easy to examine. We all know a loose ground can make us walk a long way in the cold rain at night. Uphill in both directions. Barefooted, too.

The problem with political jokes is that they too often get elected.

stvclif1 Avatar
stvclif1 Gold Member Steve Clifton
Lone Tree, CO, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Annette"
Drop the oil pan and clean out the sludge. I wouldn’t be able to resist not having a look Inside the block.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
The engine is being rebuilt at a shop. See OP.

stvclif1 Avatar
stvclif1 Gold Member Steve Clifton
Lone Tree, CO, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Annette"
Gee sorry, don’t see where it says that.

In reply to # 3673597 by barry s The engine is being rebuilt at a shop. See OP.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Nothing about that.
Says OD is being installed.

At 50,000 miles it might need a bearing refresh and oil pump rebuild to bring oil pressure up and add another 100K miles of use.

In reply to # 3673597 by barry s The engine is being rebuilt at a shop. See OP.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster