This topic is about my 1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion
29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller" ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
Carmine is one of my two garage "Queens". They don't ride trailers, or stay out of the rain, they just get to sleep in the garage!

Anyway, replaced the trunk seal on Carmine. Put on the one that goes on the body of the car, and clips onto the lip around the boot opening. Got the seal started, then tapped it home all the way around with a rubber hammer.

Leaks like a sieve.

Wondering if I should have loosely put the seal on, then closed the boot lid to press it down, thereby allowing the lid to dictate the height of the seal.

Is this correct or am I up in the night yet again?

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Hammering it home is std practice. Do you have a luggage rack, trunk lid emblems, etc.? If so, sure they aren't leaking? Marker lights the same question.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
RandyAJ Avatar
RandyAJ Silver Member Randy Jenkins
Duanesburg, NY, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Whatever you do avoid the seal on the trunk lid solution. You will not be able to close the trunk. I got my seal from moss and it doesn't leak... maybe it is the type of seal? Your idea to put it on more loosely could very well work. Please share if it does.

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
Chris, it's got the boot emblem with all the little pins that poke through. May need to spend some time with some silicon sealer.

Randy, think I'll tap it in the off direction a quarter inch or so and give it a try. Will report.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Where in the trunk are you seeing the moisture? It could also be through the tail lights.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Why? This was the standard solution for MKI cars and his "Carmine" is such a CBB. Mine works fine on my CBB and lid closure is not an issue at all smiling bouncing smiley

Of course with the present carbody type you can put a lot of silicone sealant in its slit before mounting it on the car & closing the lid (only lightly or even just not completely closed).
After silicone setting, it should just close perfectly and should not leak at all...

In reply to # 3672121 by RandyAJ Whatever you do avoid the seal on the trunk lid solution. You will not be able to close the trunk. I got my seal from moss and it doesn't leak... maybe it is the type of seal? Your idea to put it on more loosely could very well work. Please share if it does.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 10:30 AM by Donthuis.

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
Chris it's hard to tell where, since it's everywhere. The carpet is soaked, the lawn chairs are moldy, and everything including the underside of the boot lid is just dripping.

Don, while it's registered as a 65, some of the body parts may not indeed be that vintage. eye rolling smiley

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

Soapy Avatar
Soapy Silver Member Ken McGuire
Livonia, MI, USA   USA
That story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How long ago did you put in the new seal? Was it sitting out in the rain for a while? It must have taken more than a day or two for stuff to get moldy (although being in Oregon may be a factor). Take everything out of the boot, including the spare, dry it out and then try a hose test. It's a pretty small space, but maybe you can hire a small kid with a flashlight.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder." (Steven Wright)

The doctor must have put my pacemaker in wrong. Every time my wife kisses me, the garage door goes up.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” Will Rogers

ricornc Avatar
ricornc Chaz Ricorn
Petworth, Surrey, UK   GBR
If you dust the inside of the seal with talcum powder then hose test it its easy to see is and where the seal is leaking.

RandyAJ Avatar
RandyAJ Silver Member Randy Jenkins
Duanesburg, NY, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I had the same issue with the emblem... silicone did the trick

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
Good ideas one and all. It actually sat out during about 8 inches of rain, so some leaks are expected, I guess.

I'll tinker on it tomorrow and get back with results.

Dealing with the IRS today. They have some $150,000 questions.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
OK, hopefully I've satisfied the IRS and can get on with life.

First, I tried an old trick I got somewhere. Slipped a crisp dollar bill between the trunk seal and trunk lid and moved it around. Very tight, doubt that it leaked. (They used to do this with airplanes, where a leak could turn into a shriek in a short hurry!)

So, took a six inch piece of 2 by 4, and tapped the seal upwards just a tad (maybe 1/16th of an inch). Closed trunk lid, and pressed to seal.

Then I took a tube of windshield or glass silicon and got a blob hanging out of the tube. Went over the underside of the emblem, and made sure each pin sticking through got sealed. Just formed the glob, and then pressed it up against the lid.

Finally, I spread newspaper all around in the trunk, figuring it would show where the leaks were.

No leaks so far, but we haven't had eight inches of rain this week either. Might be a fix.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
Wayne,

You mentioned that Carmine sleeps in the garage and doesn't go out in the rain--maybe your garage is leaking?!eye rolling smiley

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
Droll, Ray, very droll!

Naw, it's just been bumped so that I can work on the "new Yeller" car for a while. Plus, it leaks when we take trips in the spring and fall.

Wet luggage is NOT on SWMBO's top 10 list!

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
the seal I have on my car, from Moss, still pushes the lid up about 1/2" above the body after nearly 3 years.

I will never buy body seals from Moss ever again.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster