AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
There have been some "modified" MGB's posted here recently. Rat Rods and the like. This one is actually a member's car... His car was once a midget, now it is a _____________. (Please fill in the blank)

http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GANSUE141332G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 07:41 PM by tahoe36c.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
K Hawkins Avatar
NT, Canada   CAN
I find getting into the alcohol is better after working on a project, not when sketching it out before starting.

JNorthrup Avatar
JNorthrup Jim N
Las Cruces, NM, USA   USA
Watch it sell for some ridiculous price on ebay one day! Obviously, someone was at a piss up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mikes7 Mike Laws
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
What has been seen, cannot be unseen!confused smiley

Regards,
Mike.

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
YIKES!!!

Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
This forum has more judgmental members than any other car site I frequent. It's just a car, a possession like any other, and he's free to do with it whatever he wants.

As a rat rod, nothing wrong with it at all. Not everyone's into rat rods, so be it, but it looks like a fun ride.

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
My quote (YIKES!!!) was meant to be non-committal, OK?

In reply to # 3661634 by Emil Wojcik This forum has more judgmental members than any other car site I frequent. It's just a car, a possession like any other, and he's free to do with it whatever he wants.

As a rat rod, nothing wrong with it at all. Not everyone's into rat rods, so be it, but it looks like a fun ride.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Emil,

I agree so when will you start the body mods on the Porsche 356???? moon

In reply to # 3661634 by Emil Wojcik This forum has more judgmental members than any other car site I frequent. It's just a car, a possession like any other, and he's free to do with it whatever he wants.

Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3661673 by tahoe36c Emil,

I agree so when will you start the body mods on the Porsche 356???? moon

If the 356 wasn't already restored, and worth 10 times as much as most MGBs, I might consider it.

I'll also say that modified/custom 356s aren't looked down on by as many on the 356Registry site as modified MGs are by MGE members. It's proven to be a much more tolerable group, although it has its moments.

I've customized quite a few cars over the decades. And other cars I've owned I've restored to stock. But the decision was mine. My point is that too many here seem to enjoy picking on other's cars. I'm not into that.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Seems to me that this thread should have been posted elsewhere...such as: Midget forum, Other Vehicles forum or perhaps Off Topic forum. It has nothing to do with MGB/GT technical. Of course neither do Saabs.

Bealey Avatar
Bealey Silver Member Joe & Barb Hahn
East Wenatchee, WA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Bealey"
1974 MG MGB GT
I've been hesitant to do some minor mods on the GT as paint/body work is something that I've never done before but I can see now that you've got to start somewhere! winking smiley

I'm actually fine with it and with it being on this forum as I always find it interesting what others are doing. As we didn't have much money when growing up I would do this same kind of thing with the left over parts from AMT 3 in 1 kits and whatever model car I had that I felt like needed a redo so I understand doing this on a larger scale. A couple of them turned out to be my all time favorites as they were something that I created and that felt great.

Joe

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Very interesting.

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
Belongs on the Munsters.

There are no bad days at the beach.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Looks like there is room for EIGHT CYLINDERS, "all in a row" ???????

Member Services:
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3661975 by oleanderjoe Looks like there is room for EIGHT CYLINDERS, "all in a row" ???????

There ya go, a nail head Buick straight 8 smiling smiley Yeah rat rods, at first when this started to become a fad, I looked at it as folks who really didn't want to finish a project properly, now it has evolved a good bit more into automotive art, and art like all things, well every piece does not appeal to everyone. I'm guessing this was a rusted out RWA Midget sitting in a field somewhere slowly rotting away and now it is, well whatever that is, which I guess is better than the alternative. I guess if I had to name that car, I would call it "Practice" smiling smiley

LIke most of you that have done this a time, or two, I have carried off old rust bucket LBCs to the crusher, and later I thought I could have make something useful with them. One RWA rusted Midget I parted out comes to mind, I regretted that I did not cut the rear section of that car off the chassis and make a chair out of it, well at least that would have been cooler than a flower planter, or a BBQ grill. With all the crap lying in my shop that needs to be moved, or gotten rid of, the repurposing part of me looks for ideas, and I coming up with a few cool ones. Back from the Superlite wheels days, I have left over show wheels, nothing that will fit our cars, and without 3 more nothing that will appeal to the folk's cars the wheels will fit, so a 15x10 Superlite wheel is going to become a new table for my new shop's office with some, old unusable 18V rods as legs for the table, a few more of the Superlite wheels are going to become air hose reels mounted on the walls for the new shop, the spare spoke wheel for my 67 GT, which I sold years ago, will now become part of my new mail box pole, a Midget grill, old MGB banjo steering wheel, and probably a few other things as they inspire me will become wall art in the new shop. Bottom line, if you take something that's destiny is to the earth, scrapper, or recycler, and make something cool, or otherwise out of it, it can't be all that bad.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 04:41 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster