Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
Yet another reason not to buy Champion spark plugs.

(this was not purchased by me)

There are no bad days at the beach.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

champion.jpg    43.7 KB

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Another lesson learnt .....if you can't see it then always open the packet ...pretty simple to me , but then again , we are all different I suppose....quality control doesn't exist any more so expect the un-expected

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
These are the only Champio N9YCC equivalents still in production, but in resistor version RN9YCC. Apparently constructed in Mexico. I'll check the origin of the four I found via a Finnish reseller eye rolling smiley

Last week I bought a Blue Bosch coil, made in Brasil and sold via the CSI company. It seems lesser quality ones from Mexico are also on the market and are to be avoided confused smiley
I change back to Bosch Blue, since I do not trust my present heavy original Lucas Sports Coils anymore, nor the much lighter built aftermarket Lucas branded new one I bought 2 years ago

Often we do not know where rebranded aftermarket products come from, the same was valid in the past for India & Japan and nowadays mostly for China and sometimes American countries

PS I may change over to NGK BP6ES next year after all, I am running out of my once excellent NOS Champion N9YCC sets. sad smiley

In reply to # 3660271 by Steven 67GT Yet another reason not to buy Champion spark plugs.

(this was not purchased by me)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
I was a Champion diehard long ago. I switched to NGK 25+ years ago & never looked back.

boggsy64 Avatar
boggsy64 Platinum Member Ken Boggs
Brooksville, KY, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Dad's Hand Me Down"
New style?? quick

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Note all encompassing behemoth Federal-Mogul sourcing. Makes you wonder how many manufacturers are really remaining.

Funny, I'm surprised the crush washer would fit.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
why surprised? It just wasn't threaded....still have the same basic max OD!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
I quit using Champion many many years ago. I had a Kawasaki 350 triple m/c with Champion plugs in it. On one of the plugs the porcelain around the center electrode broke and fell down into the bore, wedged between the piston and the cylinder and destroyed both. The other two plugs looked fine as far as temp range and mixture. Used to love their tiny center wire palladium plugs for my Ducatis-they just seemed to be impossible to foul and would run forever. Don't know if they are even made any more

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Back in the 70's I lived at 7000 ft elevation. The champions would foul quickly and would never come back to life. The other problem I had was how the ground electrode was welded to the body of the plug. Very sloppy. That weld would tear up the threads in aluminum heads. Compare with NGK. Been a NGK fan for decades.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller" ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
I must be getting old. Took me about four looks to see anything wrong with it.

Guess it would be a bit hard to install.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
(for any camera buffs...)

Looks like a new bayonet style plug. Much faster than those old "threaded" ones.

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register -

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, OK, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Reverse self-tapping. Usually costs extra. thumbs up

Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
I've bought bad NGK too. I'm back to Champions for the last ten years without problems.

royster Avatar
royster Roy Aber
Bethel Park, PA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Nigel"
I guess you forgot to specify "pre-threaded" spark plugs on your order.
This doesn't surprise me. I quit using Champions 40 years ago when a brand new N57R Champion spark plug took the threads out of my Lotus T/C head. Went over to Bosch and can't say I've ever been disappointed. First thing I did when I bought my MGB a few years back was to throw away the Champions and replace them with Bosch.
After hearing all the good things about NGK in this forum, I think I might switch the B over at next tune-up.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstein

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Just checked my earlier N9YCC and later RN9YCC Champion plugs: no reference at all to production origin on both.
The resistor ones I got via Finland showed the present brandholder for Champions to be located in Kontich, Belgium! eye popping smiley

So the Champion brandholder "Federal Mogul" is located much closer to Holland and myself than expected, God knows where the production comes from.... confused smiley

PS Just let me explain my preference for the Champion Copper Plus (CC) line once more: these are the quickest ones getting the cold engine running fine and feel "elastic" in their performance over the full temp range. Still my original MG garage felt Champions were fine but NOT for the B-engine. He put Lodge plugs in instead, a brand which is gone by now from the market IMHO....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 03:44 AM by Donthuis.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster