AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oil flex line fitting wrench size
  This topic is about my 1966 MG MGB MkI
mgann Mike Gann
West Point, UT, USA   USA
This is a weirdy. Anyone know the wrench size of the oil pressure flex line end fittings. Mine was gushing oil so I took it off and am going to replace it. Thing is I used a 9/16 but that was actually to big. It is a smith's line as it still has the tag on it. My caliper says it is .533 from flat to flat. It is not metric as 14 is too big and 13 is too small. Is there a wrench size between 9\16 and 1\2 and I just havent seen it? Thanks all.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
On my car, its is 9/16. Well, I should clarify that a bit. The 9/16 wrench fits on both ends, but on one end, it is rather sloppy, like the 9/16 is too large. It currently is residing on the passenger floorboard. Not sure if it will go back on, or get a new one when the new engine is put in. Have to wait until next week to actually get a look at the new engine, as its still in a 73 GT.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
The fittings on both my cars, which are originals with new hose installed, are a British Standard/Whitworth size. Rather than buying a special wrench, you could carefully use a small Crescent wrench.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OldEvo Silver Member Jeff Clark
Weems, VA, USA   USA
Yep, Whitworth. One of just a very few on the B. The shock fill plugs are also Whitworth.

"We don't want it to shrink into a rhombus" - Louis Sauzedde "Tips from a Shipwright"

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
So then it uses 1/4"W wrench, or a filed 13mm

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Before I bought a set of flare spanners/wrenches I used modified (read filed open) metric spanners for some of the hydraulic fittings and Imperial sizes on others.
To my great surprise all these flare spanners I bought from MOSS are metric nowadays, but with their circling grip do their job admirably thumbs up

So my advice: either put a file to a metric 13mm spanner/wrench or try a flare one instead.... eye rolling smiley

PS This picture of mine says "line wrench" instead, apparently another language difference I was not aware of .....

Attachments:
line wrench.jpg    4.2 KB
line wrench.jpg

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Tiny crescent

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
The correct spanner is 5/16 Whitworth (if I remember correctly).
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 12:36 PM by ddubois.

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
When I use my Whitworth wrenches and sockets I never pay attention to what size they are...I just use the one that fits. Odd because when I use fractional or metric I always know what wrench size I'm using.

Probably has something to do with the dual marking on the wrenches, and info overload! winking smiley

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
In my earlier post, I stated a 5/16 Whitworth was the correct size, forgetting that the oil hose uses a smaller "across the flats" size than the fuel fittings - Peter got it right - 1/4 Whitworth. For anyone interested, the markings on Whitworth wrenches is the diameter of a given fastener - thus a 1/4 Whitworth spanner fits the head on a 1/4 bolt. Later, when the British Standard Fine fastener came into use, the heads were one size smaller for a given bolt, thus a 1/4 Whitworth spanner fits the head on a 5/16 BSF fastener (on some of the more expensive spanners, both bolt size are stamped on the spanner.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
And for the rest of us peasants, a nice tight 9/16" does the job....smoking smiley

mgann Mike Gann
West Point, UT, USA   USA
Thanks all. I will be filing one of my extra 13mm when the new part comes in. Or have they changed the new ones to be standard sizes? I guess either way I will see. Thanks again.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I'd wait Mike.

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Spanner sets come so cheap nowadays that sacrifying a single spanner is no longer a big deal... eye rolling smiley

You do know that the joint on the engine side can easily be overtightened and shear off? And the joint to the junction piece sometimes freezes solid by cold fusion copper to copper.
I had to loosen the joint on the gauge line side and put this junction piece in a vice before finally getting the old, now leaking flexible line off this copper block. confused smiley

Succes smileys with beer

In reply to # 3660874 by mgann Thanks all. I will be filing one of my extra 13mm when the new part comes in. Or have they changed the new ones to be standard sizes? I guess either way I will see. Thanks again.

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
Johnstown Ohio, USA   USA
The new one will use a metric wrench

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links