AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jfrankr Avatar
jfrankr Silver Member Jan Frank Rische
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Does anybody run Pirelli Cinturato tires in the original 165HR14 size? I don't remember them being mentioned but they're apparently still in production from what I can see.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Original/optional fitment in the late 60s,early 70s were Pirelli CN36 which handled very well, but had very poor tread life. They were followed by the Pirelli P3 which was similar to the Dunlop SP4, and the Michelin ZX in appearance. The P3s were a good tire, P4s were a heavier carcass which I personally didn't think handled as well on a B.. I still have a P4 spare in my 74.

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
This is one of the things I was seeing but I guess it's not up to date..... https://www.lucasclassictires.com/Pirelli-Cinturato_c255.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
It had me going for a few minutes.... I would definitely prefer the correct size eventually. An option to Vredestein.

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I just received an email from Lucas Classic Tire telling me that Pirelli Cinterato tires in 165R14 (classic tread pattern I believe) are available. They are kind of pricy at $175 each but for someone wanting to hold to the original size and look, they are available.

linklaw John Linkosky
Carnegie, PA, USA   USA
I bought a set of Pirelli Cinturatos from Longstone Tyre in the UK the summer before last. They had a free shipping deal and another deal if you bought 5 tires. I had a set of Rostyles with the original tires on them from a late 70s MGB and guess what, the original tires were Cinturatos. I really like the tires and wanted to go back to original tires and wheels from my Minilite replicas. They look great, handle well and I have zero complaints. I would recommend the tires.

John

1972 MGB
1974 MGB

miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
I have two MGBs. My '65 has Vredistein 165-14s, and my '67 has Pirelli 165-14s. I prefer the Vreds as far as steering effort and road feel, and even the appearance of the tires. But I don't know how much of the difference is due to other things on the cars.

Flint Avatar
Flint Richard Conroy
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Maggie"
1978 MG MGB MkIV
I had Pirelli Cinturatos on my 66 MGB back then (1967). They cornered like the car was on rails, but had very poor stopping traction, kind of a one direction tread ..

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I'm sure the new tires have a contemporary rubber compound making them better in all areas. In '70 I replaced the slightly oversized Goodyear bias ply tires on my '64 B with Michelin X tires. They changed the car. When the '64 was new (and not mine yet) the original tires would have been bias ply.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Used to be excellent tires in this size in the 70's and 80's , but very fast wearing. Some say on MGE present ones are slower wearing, but I would not know, I have selected Michelins instead...
Other fine, but expensive ones are Vredestein Classics in 165R14

PS Michelin started out with VERY slow wearing expensive 165R14 XAS ones, switched to very fast wearing (X)ZX and are now back on normal wear on my affordable 175/70 R14 Energy Savers

In reply to # 3659683 by jfrankr Does anybody run Pirelli Cinturato tires in the original 165HR14 size? I don't remember them being mentioned but they're apparently still in production from what I can see.

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
It appears in the original radial size, 165R14 (haven't found the original rdstr radial size 155R14 anywhere) is the Michelin XAS at Coker, Pirelli Cinturato (early tread) at Lucas Classic Tire, and other suppliers, and the Vredestein Sprint Classic at Tire Rack and others. Coker does carry a BF Goodrich 560-14 bias ply tire in white and black wall, which is the original tire size. The Vredestein is the most reasonably priced. They all feature a classic tread pattern which I would prefer.

TJS Avatar
TJS T J Smith
Soulbury, Bucks, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3659683 by jfrankr Does anybody run Pirelli Cinturato tires in the original 165HR14 size? I don't remember them being mentioned but they're apparently still in production from what I can see.

Jan, I replaced a barely worn but 15 year old set of Bridgestone tyres with the modern compound 165HR14 Cinturatos CA67 a couple of years ago. The ride and handling is excellent and the taller tyres look good on the car, however, having covered 14k miles in 35 years I couldn't comment on wear and longevity ! The tyres plus new set of inner tubes and rim tape were supplied by Longstone Tyres who can also supply new period correct 165HR14 Michelin XAS and 185/70 VR14 Cinturato CN36. See the attached link for info on MGB tyres. As previously mentioned they do ship to the US, so perhaps worth dropping them an email. They maybe not be the cheapest tyre on the market, but they are good.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/mg/mgb.html

The pictures show the tread pattern and rounded profile of the Cinturato compared to the new unused Bridgestone which was retained on the spare wheel.

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
That's very good information, Thanks! And Longstone actually shows a less pricy Barum 165R14 tire. I would think all of the "vintage" tires are manufactured with a modern compound.

Boris67MGB Richard Boris
Kings Park. NY 11754, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
I don't know where folks got the notion at Pirelli Cinturator's were poor wearing tires? I had 2 sets on my old 66B and got 80K miles on each set. The Cinturato's I am talking about are the CA67 version with 7 ply thread and 2 ply radial ply (rayon belt); with no steel belting in side wall. I stopped using them because they were out of production in the 1980's. I am presently saving enough capital to buy the 5 165SR-14's from Longstone Tyres. Presently using Vrederstein 175R-14 on my 67B. I have been hard driving Mk1 MGB's for more than 50 years; and I feel that the CA67's provided the performance for my car; especially in tight turns. Great that Pirelli put this classic tire back in production.

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
Is this model in the new Pirelli Collezione line?
Chris...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster