MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Post= Does your MGB oil leak really bother you, or are you used to it?drinking smiley

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

terryke5hwe Silver Member Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
LBC's either leak water from the top or oil from the bottom, usually both!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
red68mgb James Milavec
ONEONTA, NY-New York, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "Redginald"
Q: Why didn't the Brits ever get into building computers?

A: They couldn't figure out a way to make them leak oil.

Tim C Avatar
LaGrange, KY, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Annie"
Doesn't really bother me. Mine leaves a drop from time to time usually right after it has been driven. Doesn't seem to leak after it has sat parked for a bit.

My 68 Chevy truck is a different story. If driven regularly it doesn't leak a drop. But if it sits parked for about 2 weeks, it spits out all of it's transmission fluid. I have learned to keep a pan under it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
An MGB without an OIL leak is NOT an MGB!!!smileys with beer

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
I learned that quite some MG owners discarded the evaporation system including charcoal cannister. This system maintains a slight under pressure inside the engine; a big help to prevent oil leaks. This system does not influence the performance at all contrary the belief of some.

Alpha-1 Avatar
Alpha-1 Silver Member Len Geiger
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Blaze"
1995 GMC Yukon "Bonnie Blue"
I take offense at that statement grinning smiley

In reply to # 3660517 by ski.dive An MGB without an OIL leak is NOT an MGB!!!smileys with beer

‘73 Blaze Red roadster. ANSA exhaust. Rick Ingram struts front & rear, Weber 32/36, Schlemmerized 1974 Lucas 25D points distributor with Pertronics Flame Thrower coil, Minator alloy wheels, I prefer Levi’s 514.

My MGB is like a former girlfriend:
Beautiful on the outside, a little broken on the inside...
...often topless

dcasko1950 Gold Member Dana Casko
Deerfield, NH, USA   USA
Lowe's and Home Depot sell washing machine drip pans. They work equally well for MGBs.

1980 MGB LE, 1976 MGB Roadster, 1980 TR7

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
No leaks......yet.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
I'm down to one trans leak which is the front seal on my 3 sync 4 speed, and a drip from the gas tank bung. Not too bad, I just wipe it up.
Chris...

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I heard that NONE of the Dirt roads over in England are DUSTY, ????????

Member Services:
ranger240 Avatar
ranger240 M K
province, province, USA   USA
When I pulled my ford 5.0 out the donor car, the lack of leaks after 28 years and 95,000 miles on that engine amazed me. The outside of the oil pan was bone dry.

It really does bother me that my blue label overdrive has 3-4(?) individual seals on the bottom. A single automatic style pan with a nice fat flange would help keep the oil weep at bay.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I've been fighting both engine and gearbox/OD leaks on my B for many years by now, mostly in vain. So of course I bother angry smiley

mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Magdalene"
Don, my parents are from The Netherlands and that heritage is something that I am proud of. I have visited 4 times including last year, including my Dutch born wife and our 4 young adult children. Our children have concluded that the Dutch are a bit OCD and that it is actually a good thing. The Netherlands is a beautiful country and something to keep that way. So, keep up the good work Don! joe

TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
A spot of motor oil on the garage floor here or there doesn't bother me much. It's the oil blowing out the tail pipe that is more of a concern to me! eye popping smiley

lawmann Avatar
lawmann Gold Member Shaun Johnson
Kathleen, GA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "Old Blue"
Part of the charm...

Shaun Johnson
1972 MGB Tourer, Second Owner

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster