MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Post= Does your MGB oil leak really bother you, or are you used to it?drinking smiley

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
Does your MGB oil leak really bother you, or are you used to it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
I spent three decades chasing down all my car's oil leaks. When I was finished, and the engine compartment was clean enough to eat off of, the oil pressure flex line blew out 50 miles from home. Nowadays, a drop or two of oil doesn't phase me a bit. RAY

J Baz Avatar
J Baz Silver Member Jerard Basmagy
Middletown, NJ, USA   USA
I sealed up my engine tight in 2016 it now has some slight leaks now I consider it part of it's charm.

jb

Too soon we get old, too late we get smart!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
46er Avatar
46er Ralph K
Coastal, NJ, USA   USA
I was told it was a no cost anti-rust option. My Jag had it as well grinning smiley

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 Silver Member George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Yes.

Yes.

---
GEO

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
My B has slight leaks and I also look at them as an anti rust option.

In reply to # 3622467 by 46er I was told it was a no cost anti-rust option. My Jag had it as well grinning smiley

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

Alpha-1 Avatar
Alpha-1 Silver Member Len Geiger
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Blaze"
1995 GMC Yukon "Bonnie Blue"
Strangely, my 73 B doesn’t leak, but my 95 Yukon is a constant source of fresh oil

‘73 Blaze Red roadster. ANSA exhaust. Rick Ingram struts front & rear, Weber 32/36, Schlemmerized 1974 Lucas 25D points distributor with Pertronics Flame Thrower coil, Minator alloy wheels, I prefer Levi’s 514.

My MGB is like a former girlfriend:
Beautiful on the outside, a little broken on the inside...
...often topless

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I consider it an added feature... real time anti-corrosion under coating. Lightly oil metal doesn't rust!!

Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
My 78 has zero leaks. Yes it has oil in it. cool smiley

Rooby Avatar
Rooby Silver Member Phil Crowell
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1958 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Marty"
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
It's an MG thing. Just when you thought you had it sorted, it blows a raspberry at you, and the result is another spodge of oil on your otherwise clean drip tray. Quite normal really.

Phil Crowell
Sydney
Australia
1966 Mk1 MGB "Ruby"
1958 Bugeye Sprite "Marty"

crgrbrts Avatar
crgrbrts Gold Member Craig Roberts
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB MkII "Bumblebee"
Doesn't bother me. Bothers my wife, though. Then she bothers me. So, I guess it's a bother,

Brazzle99 Avatar
Brazzle99 Brian Aslett
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1970 MG MGB MkIII "Millie"
2010 Honda Accord "Alison"
2014 Toyota Highlander 4WD "Magnus"
Its part of the challenge! I get mine completely leak free, then we take it on a long trip (perhaps 2 000 miles) and when we get home there's a little puddle underneath!

My wife described my car as a lady dowager (as in the Downton Abbey TV series). Very glamorous from a distance but sometimes slightly incontinent!

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
It is the single most frustrating character of the B, whatever one tries there is always some leak cropping up somewhere, whether sooner or later. After stopping the one the other appears sad smiley
Somehow the design of engine, gearbox/OD and rear axle is such that using the factory gaskets or not, apply sealants or not and varying the torqueing procedure never fully solves the problem....

Jim63 Avatar
Jim63 Gold Member Jim S
Bartlesville, OK, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI "Iris"
I finally bought a Pig oil absorbing mat and taped it to my garage floor where I park my car. When anyone asks if my car leaks oil I can honestly tell them that I took care of all my leaks and my garage floor is spotless.

Jim

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
A Dutch MG Carclub member designed a box made from sheet metal to sit under the bellhouse to gearbox position with a thick piece of felt inside, to be replaced every year if it is saturated with oil. Inside our official club magazine we had pictures and he even offered to produce a number of these boxes for other members (two designs being necessary for different configurations) eye popping smiley

I did not order one, since my major leaks were (and still are) mostly in other locations...... confused smiley

In reply to # 3622882 by Jim63 I finally bought a Pig oil absorbing mat and taped it to my garage floor where I park my car. When anyone asks if my car leaks oil I can honestly tell them that I took care of all my leaks and my garage floor is spotless.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links