Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
starting a thread on my build as i am at the point where it seems appropriate.

it's taken about 5 months to work out how to install, build (& buy) components to install a BMW Mini supercharger into my 72 BGT Automatic - and implement it.

turned the key today. little bit of choke and it fired on the first kick! feel as happy as is possible today I reckon.

hope i'm not celebrating too soon. don't have the rad in yet, just gave the engine a 5 second run in the drive. no backfires (yet!)

bit of a shame in that i bought a new rad to install. took it out of the box today only to realise that the bottom pipe points far more towards the centre of the car than the one that came out. my pipes will not fit and it's a PITA to rework the pipes i have put in. old rad has a small leak so i will pop it in tomorrow with just water in so i can warm it up properly and take it for a short test drive drive. a local repair shop can braze it next week.

i can only estimate the amount of time it's taken - but i reckon some 2-300 hours to get where i am, but it's now feeling rather worth it.

i'll share more info on how i went about it. i need to get my photos in order but have added a couple taken in last couple of days.

i really do owe many thanks to loads of folks but would like to mention in particular adrian page, dennis hill & acquaintance michael beswick (from the MGOC forum) without whose inspiration, help & encouragement this project would still be a dream in a spreadsheet.

G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ch1.jpg    39.5 KB
ch1.jpg

c2.jpg    48.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Will the BW35 slush box stand up to it?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
well it has survived john caffin's supercharged MGC
it has a bulletproof reputation, used in many uk cars of the era, many of which had a v8 at the front so much more power & torque than mine
so i hope so, but i won't be hammering it
well not yet anyway
G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
So awesome!! Good for you! Fired up and everything. You are now a member of a VERY small club.

Did you get the engine down to 8:1? I did mine and It's orders of magnitude easier to tune without pinking. You're going to really enjoy this... especially since you did it yourself.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-22 05:56 PM by pinkyponk.

OpenTop Lionel A
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
A little out of my league, but forced induction is so sexy!

Cheers......Lionel.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Graham great job. I feel it will go extremely well with the BW35, particularly down low with no first to second gear change lag. Looks great as well. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.07 LSD.

Andrew73B Avatar
Andrew73B Gold Member Andrew Milne
St.-Lazare, QC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Barbie Car"
Nice.. I hope my skill level will reach that of yours to be able to do something like this one day! (learning as we go...smiling smiley ) Anxious to follow this.

pinkyponk Avatar
Love the tensioner. winking smiley

I can't wait to see some details like the air cleaner and how you attached the carb to the blower.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

bwoollia Avatar
bwoollia Silver Member Brian W
Spruce Grove, AB, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Awesome! Well done.

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Wow, that's really neat. And that's one heck of a belt and pulley system you've got there. Nice work indeed. Vroom vroom!

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

1977 MGB Supercharged Avatar
1977 MGB Supercharged Ray Wyberski
Pago Pago, AS, American Samoa   ASM
1977 MG MGB "Jazzy's Car"
Very nice Graham. Lots of attention to detail and also love the tensioner. Enjoy and have fun. Ray

ErnieY Avatar
ErnieY Ernie Y
Albatera, Alicante, Spain   ESP
Nice job Graham but an automatic, really, do you need that for disability reasons ?

Half, no make that 3/4 of the fun in driving an MGB is stirring the box and flicking in and out of OD as you steam up the mountain twisties, not many of those in Cambridgeshire I grant grinning smiley

pinkyponk Avatar
Half the fun of driving my B is listening to the supercharger whine as I sink into the seat back from acceleration. Some have that... some don't. winking smiley

The overdrive is good too...

Adrian

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
Thanks. All started like everyone else really. more power....
considered V8 but too many irreversible mods, plus a decent V8 costs a lot more in the UK than USA!
however, Moss supercharger was far beyond what what i was prepared to pay for the power and reading Adrian's thread about self build did get me thinking. not just the result but a rather interesting project. however, having no metalworking skills at all it was sort of shelved.

a chap i know in the UK saw an old Moss manifold (M45 not MP45) advertised in USA. Ad was 8 weeks old but i responded anyway with little hope.
however, 4 weeks later it arrived!

choice of charger. i trawled ebay for weeks checking what was available used, read lots of forums.

the BMW Mini M45 charger is used by three companies in UK to form kits for the classic mini.
used supply is plentiful on ebay, prices around £250. however, some look pretty scabby and have been taken out of a car for a reason so i was aware i might buy scrap.
the other think i liked about the mini was with a bit of fettling it looked like it was possible to mate the Moss manifold
PLUS, spares available. Bearings, oil seals, .. so I took the plunge on one.

Someone had really hacked the pulley trying to get it off. they are a press fit.
stupid thing was it had a removable KAVS pulley. I removed 4 M5 bolts, stuck 2 longer ones in the 2 other holes provided for this reason. a bit of shaking and it was off.
However, the bearings felt grindy - i think the PO had exerted too much force. decided to replace the bearings. this is covered on youtube and looked straightforward.
great thing was I had decided to buy a KAVS system anyway.
http://www.kavsmotorsport.com/mini-tuning-products/mini-cooper-s-supercharger-tuning
as you can see, a great range of pulleys, easy to swap and quite fortunately they do OVERSIZE which not many others do. They had a very close match for the Moss lo/standardhi boost pulleys.
you buy one hub (which i got with the charger) then £70/pulley. After much deliberation i decided to go with the 68.8mm which at 2.71" was very close to the standard Moss pulley (the standard Mini pulley is 65.5mm or 2.6" so close to the hi-boost). If everything goes well then smaller pulleys are readily available.

arrived in post. fantastic quality.

G

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
Starting the build - Idlers

Bought a used pillar drill for £40. Since buying it i simply don't understand how i have lived without one. my wife and son even use it.

I decided a good start would be the idler system as it looked fairly straightforward. plate, cut to shape, holes drilled, pulleys, bolts, spacers...

Key to this build was a spare engine which i had bought a couple of years ago for scrap value really. i had a cracked head on my car and i only bought it to get the head which looked fine and later became my Peter Burgess Econotune.

Fortunately, i had kept the cracked head so i had a dummy engine to try bits onto.

I had read that folks had suffered cracked bolts on the Moss idler and a four bolt version was for sale. so i decided on a 4 bolt plate.
i used the timing cover as a template for holes, made spacers that would just clear the cover and cut some wood. also seen a pic of a Moss plate so that was useful.

i had also found out that the Moss idlers were
8mm centre, 20mm diameter 26mm wide (many thanks to "Thomas the tensioner man" )
they sell them for a ridiculous price of £55.50 per pulley PLUS POSTAGE..... so i decided to see what i could find. after quite a lot of searching....
GATES T36151
see them in my pic, they are much better quality than the Moss pulleys and cost £15 each INCLUDING POST!!
so saved £90 already - good start.
they sell the spacers too.. I had mine made buy a part-time lathe man. he made a great job, stainless steel. 1/3 Moss price.
bring it on....

so the pic attached was really my first attempt at making the bits. crude but it worked....then replicated it in 6mm stainless. metal was cheap. i picked up scrap bits and cut hem to shape with an angle grinder.

someone told me the idler plate was 6mm thick. i assumed it was steel but still not sure if it is steel or aluminium.

having never drilled stainless before i had no idea what a pig it was. i continued and lost a few £ on blunted drills.

Got the job done and a glutton for punishment i did the same with the M45 brackets i made.

VERDICT - looks great, next time, mild steel and paint or powdercoat

now in the pics you will see serpentine pulleys. in response to a post I made, a chap in the UK offered to sell me a set of used pulleys and a Moss HIF44. He had installed a Moss kit but then gone fuel injected with 6 rib pulleys.

That was great leg up and he also threw in some other bits like a belt which also was very useful when experimenting.

shame some of the pics are a bit cruddy.

G

Attachments:
1.wooden idler.jpg    41.4 KB
1.wooden idler.jpg

2.idler cut.jpg    51 KB
3.idler installed.jpg    36.1 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 MG MGA 1600

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links