AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
West Midlands, Tipton, UK   GBR
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
Ok, I've changed the dampers down to number 4 (out of 32) and I have to admit, the ride is pretty good now (feeling from a quick 4 or 5 mile blast after getting home from work tonight). Handling seems pretty good, on the damp roads tonight there's a tiny slide before the back hunkers down and the grip comes in, feels really controllable though, especially compared to how it was before. Will see how it is on a longer journey and maybe take it down to an even softer level in the future to compare.

What is the standard way of measuring the ride height? Is it centre of wheel to the chrome strip?

I'm of the opinion that she's riding a little higher than she should now (although it's maybe better than the too low look she had before). Would be good to know what the stock height is so I can compare

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NCtim Avatar
NCtim Tim S
NC, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 2614283 by raglits
I'm of the opinion that she's riding a little higher than she should now (although it's maybe better than the too low look she had before). Would be good to know what the stock height is so I can compare

I think it looks an inch or so too high in front and back. I don't prefer that much space above the front tire and fender. Otherwise, beautiful car!

Tim

rdmgb77 Avatar
rdmgb77 Robert Davidson
Grand Rapids, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Steve,
A rather nice looking ride.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
Lowering the back should be easy, I reckon moving one (maybe two) of the plates from below the spring to above it should sort the rear height out. I won't be doing that for a while though as I want to get out there and drive her... Service time this weekend, oil, filter and grease gun already lined up smiling smiley

Should I decide to lower the front a bit, what's the best way? Without spending and absolute fortune...

Attachments:
RearSpringMounting.jpg    31.4 KB
RearSpringMounting.jpg

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Looks raised to RB height.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
These three pictures show the height at various times...

mg2 is what she looked like when I bought the car, 06-05-2013 was taken last May and 26-02-2014 was taken this morning in the same place as the picture taken last May (shame the weather wasn't as nice today)

I didn't take any pictures before I replaced the rear springs but the rear was lower than in any of these pictures before this weekends work.

I know lowering the rear is easy, but what are the options for the front as I've not done anything to that so it looks like it's always been a touch high there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 04:05 AM by raglits.

Attachments:
mg2.jpg    26.3 KB
mg2.jpg

06-05-2013.jpg    37.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
26-02-2014.jpg    26.8 KB
TomBrooksuk Avatar
TomBrooksuk Tom Brooks
Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Hi Steve
I would agree the front is a little too high on all the pics.

I think i have tried all the possible lowering options between my race B and fast road B. I would suggest based on my road BGT as thats very similar to yours fitting the following to the front,

MOSS 550lb Road/lowering springs TT40701PR, with one set of MG540704 spring spacers (1 per side) to fine adjust the height.

These will not lower the car too much or upset the handling and will work very well with your rear suspension set up. Do try full sort or around about that on the rear dampers though it will allow the rear to "dig in" out of the bends

Hope this helps
Tom

raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
In reply to # 2614786 by TomBrooksuk Hi Steve
I would agree the front is a little too high on all the pics.

I think i have tried all the possible lowering options between my race B and fast road B. I would suggest based on my road BGT as thats very similar to yours fitting the following to the front,

MOSS 550lb Road/lowering springs TT40701PR, with one set of MG540704 spring spacers (1 per side) to fine adjust the height.

These will not lower the car too much or upset the handling and will work very well with your rear suspension set up. Do try full sort or around about that on the rear dampers though it will allow the rear to "dig in" out of the bends

Hope this helps
Tom

Tom, thanks for the info, looks like a nice summer project to me, and for about £90 all in for the parts I shouldn't have to many complaints from SWMBO either... even with the new addition to the family that's due to arrive in June and will start sucking my bank account dry smiling smiley

Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
If you look in the tech library Steve there is a ride height poll - that should give you some guidance - from central sinner to chrome they measured there. Now I was pretty set on keeping to changing to a new set of standard springs on my roadster as it keeps to the original spec - the car is very original - you've added some doubt now. I'm definitely a sunday driver in it as its too precious to my wife ( it was her fathers from new) to risk having a bump.

raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
In reply to # 2615069 by Neallew If you look in the tech library Steve there is a ride height poll - that should give you some guidance - from central sinner to chrome they measured there. Now I was pretty set on keeping to changing to a new set of standard springs on my roadster as it keeps to the original spec - the car is very original - you've added some doubt now. I'm definitely a sunday driver in it as its too precious to my wife ( it was her fathers from new) to risk having a bump.

What's the doubt? Don't forget that the parabolic springs require telescopic dampers so if you don't have those already (which I'm assuming you don't) there's the cost of those to factor in. If I didn't have those already it would have been a new pair of leaf springs for me too.

If you were closer I'd have said pop round and see what you thought of my current setup, but Swansea to Dudley is a bit of a trek for that smiling smiley

I'm leaving the car as is for the time being. Will look at getting the car a bit lower in a few months time, but for now the ride and handling are more than good enough for me, I'll work on the looks later this year.

I've just looked at that survey, looks like about 14" from wheel centre to chrome strip is what I should be aiming for... time to start measuring smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 03:08 PM by raglits.

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
steve

i was pleased to see you are still around and posting as i wish to waken your thread.

reason being, my GT had a saggy rear when i bought it. fitted GAZMGOC parabolics and mine, like yours was raised at the back, to a height of a RB GT. About 15.75" from centre wheel to chrome strip.
my front at 14.2 is a bit more in line with most others.

i installed my parabolics like yourself - stock arrangement of spacers, one top, 3 bottom. i would say that the resulting ride height on mine looks pretty much identical to yours in pic3 post 21.

so i am hoping that you swapped your spacers around and could share the result please? it's a tiresome job to swap spacers one at a time, so as far as i cam see, the ride height will change by the height of what is moved to under the axle - and as such i am think of having 4 up top and zero below.

be great to hear from you

G

raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
Graham, Here's a picture of the car today (well last week actually but close enough). As you can see the car settled down nicely at the rear without me changing any of the blocks on the springs.

It settled down to this height within a few months and has pretty much stayed there ever since. Sometimes life getting in the way of working on the car works out just right otherwise I may have been back out there putting blocks back where they came from...

The second picture was taken last September and is more side on for a better view

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 03:22 AM by raglits.

Attachments:
IMG_20180208_132717.jpg    62.1 KB
IMG_20180208_132717.jpg

IMG_20170909_152511.jpg    81.2 KB
gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
interesting. mine have not settled at all in 3 years.

as a matter of interest, did you lube your bushes?

the instructions did not mention lube. when i questioned that i was told by MGOC NOT to lube polybushes at all. rather annoyingly, that was incorrect information and the bushes squeak. Now, MGOC supply lube with them......

I am wondering if the fact that they are so tight that they squeak, is preventing settlement......i do squirt a but if WD on a few times a year however which helps a bit

PITA to take it apart. Getting those top bushes in was a wrestling match, as you probably know.

i did put together loosely and tighten on the ground....

G

raglits Avatar
raglits Steve M
1972 MG MGB GT "Betsy"
Yes I did lube the bushes, silicon based lubricant and plenty of it when assembling everything. No squeaks so far smiling smiley

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 2614283 by raglits

What is the standard way of measuring the ride height? Is it centre of wheel to the chrome strip?

Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the chrome strip.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster