AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
Wooden steering wheels just look so AWESOME! I hate the stock one. Bleech.

Thanks for all the advice and comments - they really help! Hopefully tomorrow I will get to fondle some wheels, or met some owners that will let me see theirs winking smiley

This site really is the best! Thanks fellas!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jseal Avatar
jseal Jonathan Seal
Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland   CHE
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
If you are looking for something a bit different, have a look at the Mike Lempert site. He custom makes some very nice wood steering wheels, although you have to be patient if you order one. There is also someone who has posted a Mike Lempert wheel in the B/S/T section.

Personally, I would go for a 15 inch wheel, however a smaller diameter wheel (such as a 14 inch) is easier to use on the later MGs due to their lighter steering ratios.

If you are patient, you can probably find used Moto-Litas on eBay. They are well made and popular. You should have a look on their UK website to see all the different types of wheels they make.

Another good second hand choice is a used Nardi (made in Italy). It looks really sharp on later MGs and they are very well made.

I am not sure where Tourist Trophy wheels come from, but they have a reputation of being good value for the money.

You may also want to have a look at a Luisi wheels. These are good value for the money. Italian made. Crummy website. Look on eBay for their US distributor.

George - that is a really special looking steering wheel. Is it a Springall or a Formula? They are really popular with the TR crowd but you almost never see them on MGs.

twhiteca Avatar
twhiteca Silver Member Trevor Whitehouse
Orleans, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB "Abejita"
13.5 inch wheel and I don't find the steering heavy and the wheel feels right for grip.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
abejita.jpg    51.9 KB
abejita.jpg

astbury Avatar
astbury Gold Member Mark Astbury
Rye, NY, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Megan B"
Hi Heather,

I moved up from a 14" flat wooden Moto-Lita to a 15" dished leather Moto-Lita. I found the 14" a bit of an effort on tight turns on my '66 and also prefer the slightly thicker feel of the leather.

Dished versus flat is something to consider as well. Dished will bring the wheel a little closer to you by an inch or two. For me it was an aesthetic choice as much as anything.

I definitely agree with Jonathan re: the eBay comment - I got my wheel on ebay.co.uk from Classic Steering Wheels. I couldn't have been happier with the service. The seller, Bryan, has been doing this for years, has a great selection direct from the factory and is an absolute gent to deal with. We had some nice email correpsondance back and forth and he was keen to see photos of my wheel once installed:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-STEERING-WHEELS/Steering-Wheels-/_i.html?_fsub=2&_sid=117539060&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Also, have you thought about your horn push? I went with the "classic" horn push from MGOC spares, but many other styles are available:

http://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGOC_SPARES_Mota_Lita_797.html

Given the steering wheel is your main point of contact with the car - it can make a huge difference to your enjoyment when you get one that feels exactly right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-29 09:28 AM by astbury.

Attachments:
Steering Wheel 2.JPG    45.5 KB
Steering Wheel 2.JPG

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
MAN! I had a heck of a time deciding. I fondled a used moto that was really swell ... Then I gave the TT 15 thick a whirl, sadly my hands just aren't big enough to be comfortable. Soooo long story short, I am going to look at the 14 TT and if that doesn't float my boat, I will order the moto. I think the 14 will work well. Who knows smiling smiley

I had a great time at the swap meet. Sadly I didn't run up with anyone from here, atleast I don't think I did. I spent WAY too much money.

THEN... my lil buddy and were heading to leave and my mgb wouldn't start. . Thankfully Bill from Britsh Auto Works (that is where I purchased my MGB) was still at the show. It turns out my fuel pump decided to die. Couldn't have asked for a better location! I got a new pump from bill but we didn't have the right fittings so after looking at all the other booths, we found I believe a sprite fuel pump that had the ones we were looking for ... $10 later I on the road!

My first show and my first stranding! Awesome!

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller" ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I broke down once, at the Reno 2011 show, in the parking lot. HA! Poor car never stood a chance!

Didn't see you there, but we came early and left the same way.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
Ha! I can imagine. It was a great learning experience! Dookie and I got there about 10:30 and left by 1:30. It was a fun experience and I am really glad I was able to attend. I picked up some stuff and ran into a fella that taught with my mom and knew my uncle Ron Lawson. He and his wife Maragret were involved in the MG clubs here in Portland. A very very small world.

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller" ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
It's a small but friendly world. My first autojumble was last year, and I think I knew two people. This time I felt like I knew everyone.

Good folks! Good fun! (and Andrew had some great prices!)

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

MGBfiredog Avatar
MGBfiredog Silver Member Timothy Miller
Newnan. Ga, GA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Cicellia"
Looks great I also have Brooklands green 74B, I purchased the wheel but haven't placed it on my B yet. Any adice about removing the original wheel and replacing the new wooden one?

Thanks Tim Miller

" GOD BLESS THE 343 THAT GAVE ALL"

MGBGTee Avatar
MGBGTee Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Timothy,

Have a look at the John Twist video posted in post #13 on page 1 of this forum topic, a 2 minutes well spent.
That technique worked well for me when I installed my Nardi wood steering wheel.

Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, Alberta

NAMGBR member 16-6307

71 MGB GT, Midnight Blue
80 TR8, Platinum Silver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 09:49 AM by MGBGTee.

Jeepin Avatar
Jeepin S J
Out East, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717859 by MGBfiredog Looks great I also have Brooklands green 74B, I purchased the wheel but haven't placed it on my B yet. Any adice about removing the original wheel and replacing the new wooden one?

Thanks Tim Miller

My son and I just replaced the original steering wheel with a wooden wheel, it’s well worth doing.

There’s a few ideas on removing the original wheel, such as sitting in the driver seat and pulling the wheel around it’s circumference with both hands and knees whilst a buddy hits the column with a hammer to loosen it — this failed, the original wheel didn't budge.

Next we purchased a hub puller from the local auto parts store, they're about $10. Success..... But, did we get a shock ! The original steering wheel hub has had a full 45 years to make cozy love to the column.

We wrenched and turned, the hub tightened, and tightened, and tightened, then flew 6ft through the air, narrowly missing my ear !

This photo is 10 seconds before impact...

'73 MGB roadster, good driver

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 08:23 PM by Jeepin.

Attachments:
9CB580CC-D8DF-40DB-A437-F855D07FB7D3.jpg    33.6 KB
9CB580CC-D8DF-40DB-A437-F855D07FB7D3.jpg

40D62064-CEFB-4588-850E-D14437970F7B.jpg    38.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
you should be aware that wooden steering wheels are banned by all racing associations as unsafe in the event of a collision. Metal bends, wood won't, and 3" splinters in your face is adding to the degree of injury likely.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster