AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
Hey folks!
I am going to order a wooden steering wheel on Sunday at the swap meet. I am curious about folks opinions on the Moto- lita vs tourist trophey. All I know is that I must have one smiling smiley

It's going into a 1980 mgb daily (well when it's sunny and dry driver) orange and black interior. I think I like the thicker grip and I like shiny things.

Any sage advice? I know I have to order a hub or adapter too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I think a wooden wheel (or an aftermarket leather one) is a very nice addition to the later cars. I never liked the look of the stock plastic ones, and always found the rim too thin for my liking.

Attachments:
JGR2.JPG    33.8 KB
JGR2.JPG

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Midway, UT, USA   USA
Steering wheels are a very personal thing. When I got the car it had a smaller leather-wrapped wheel that just didn't suit me. I changed it for a Moto-Lita Derrington (15" ) and couldn't be happier. I like a thinner rim and stock diameter. There are lots of options as far as sizes and styles go, pick the one you like and go for it.

Drew's RHD Garage: '59 RHD Bugeye, '66 RHD Morris Minor, '70 RHD MGB -- yes, there's a pattern here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 06:34 PM by drooartz.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
mgb_moto-lota.jpg    55.2 KB
mgb_moto-lota.jpg

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I find the thinner steering wheels very uncomfortable, but that's me and might not bother you. On my stock 1974 wheel, I've add a thicker leather wheel cover and it feels much more comfortable. I like wooden steering wheels for their looks, but find them slippery to use. I'd just end up covering mine with a leather wrap, so what's the point? I'd add an aftermarket thick leather steering wheel to replace the stock one -- if I had extra money, that is. Not sure I'd spend the hundreds of dollars on a wooden wheel, though it looks good and might add value to the car when you sell it. I just don't think I'd enjoy holding onto it. Sorry to be negative, but you asked.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
Is one brand better than the other? Or do I just pick the one with the best feel?

ripperfarms Avatar
ripperfarms Dave Ripper
Morton, USA   USA
I measured my stock wheel and it is 15" which works good for me.

The one I'm going for is the 15" thick wood version .... Tourist Trophy wheel....from Moss

I'm thinking the "thicker" wood of this one would work better for steering and distance driving. I also have a orange 1980 so I would like to see a pic after you get, what ever you choose, on the car.

I tried to put the pic in but it wouldn't work so click on this URL and look at item 489-090.

Click on the blue "INFO" button to look at the wheel.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=36685

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 07:31 PM by ripperfarms.

Telechick Avatar
Telechick Heather H
Portland, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Go-cart"
That's the one I was eyeing! Great choice smiling smiley

ripperfarms Avatar
ripperfarms Dave Ripper
Morton, USA   USA
From the picture it looks like it matches closely to my shift knob.

And if you buy one of those please email me and tell me how it worked out.

Thanks............Dave in Illinois

Steve Mc Steve Mcnary
USA   USA
Heather,

Good choice, I think your selection is the best option. I have a Moto-Lita on my MGA (thin rim version similar to "D", P/N 489 -070). I would prefer the thicker steering wheel for the MGB, especially considering the "slower" ratio rack of the later models.

Now, don't be surprised if you find yourself wrestling the old steering wheel off the column. Lots of advice on this, search the archives. Sometimes these can be a bear. I had a heck of a time getting the wheel off or the '79 B that I've been working on.

Steve Mc

curtis7420 Avatar
curtis7420 Curtis Wright
University City, MO, USA   USA
the PO put on a Moto-Lita 14" THIN wheel on my B. it looks great, and i get a lot of compliments on it. however, it's a little too thin for my taste. personally, i would have gone with a thicker wheel. i have to say that the size/diameter is absolutely perfect and i wouldn't go with the 15". but, that's a personally opinion of course...

if you're going to a swap meet, you're in an ideal situation. you can actually FEEL and TOUCH what you're gonna buy before you buy it. really can't go wrong with whatever you choose, as it all comes down to what's the most comfortable for YOU.

good luck and be sure to post pics after installation

Attachments:
IMG_4173.JPG    41.9 KB
IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
forestghost07 Avatar
forestghost07 Marco Sinai
FL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Viajero"
1999 Chevrolet Blazer "Works For Gas"
Hi Heather! Surprised no one cautioned you that the smaller the wheel diameter the harder the steering becomes. 14" gives you more thigh room but heavier steering; in my case my B's steering got almost too heavy with the big tires I added (185/70 x 14), so I'm glad I kept the stock 15" wheel ( put a leather Wheelskin on to make it a bit thicker). Hope this helps - cheers!

~ Marco and Viajero ~

Attachments:
IMG_1569.JPG    50.6 KB
IMG_1569.JPG

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Midway, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 2052296 by Telechick Is one brand better than the other? Or do I just pick the one with the best feel?

Pick the one you like better, I expect you'll be happy with either one.

As you can see from this thread, lots of opinions on what folks like, often diametrically opposed. I like a large, fairly thin wood wheel, while many like a smaller thick one. A steering wheel is your interface with the car, so get the one that feels great under your fingers -- you'll know what you like when you feel it. Can't go wrong with that.

Drew's RHD Garage: '59 RHD Bugeye, '66 RHD Morris Minor, '70 RHD MGB -- yes, there's a pattern here...

ripperfarms Avatar
ripperfarms Dave Ripper
Morton, USA   USA
Here's a video from University Motors on how to remove a steering wheel.

Yours should be similar but yours is not a custom wheel as this one is and you should not have any horn buttons or brushes as it is a 1980 with the horn on the turn signal stalk.

(remember I have not removed mine as yet so I could have something wrong)

take a look

mowogman Avatar
mowogman Bryan Frazier
NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 2052296 by Telechick Is one brand better than the other? Or do I just pick the one with the best feel?

Moto Lita is the top of the line brand. Tourist Trophy offers similar styling and a lower cost. The quality of the TT wheels is very high. I have the thicker Tourist Trophy wheel in my 70 and have been very happy with it.

Attachments:
steering.jpg    51 KB
steering.jpg

George Herschell Avatar
Webster, NY, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Heather,

Herew' the one on my 66. I got this a long time ago from a company locally wuo
was a dealer in all kinds of sport car parts. Sadly the owner is no longer with
us but it ws a geeat ploace to get parts and it was local. What I like about this
one, it is about the same size and diameter as the original and the horn push mounts
right on it. I have the same type of wheel on my TD and TF.

George Herschell

Attachments:
MGB Steering Wheel 2E.jpg    43.4 KB
MGB Steering Wheel 2E.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster