Overdrive Indicator Light

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RoB73 Rob Lyall
Kamloops, BC, Canada   CAN
i really think it depends where the switch is. How accessible it is? Can it be powered without you realizing it?

Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
danc Avatar
danc Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
1971 MG MGB
In reply to a post by spartanbilly Since my overdrive will engage in any gear (including reverse)(long story) and I have not damaged it yet......!!! I did the simplest thing I could think of and it took about 15 minutes. I removed the steering column shroud and tapped into the overdrive switch (white wire as I recall). I ran that wire over to the brake warning light which was not in use as the actual switch on the brake line was broken. Works great and it never fails to catch my attention even in the brightest light.

I did the same thing years ago. Works Great. But I did not remove the shroud. I tapped into the yellow wire at the plug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-28 01:45 PM by danc.

pleblanc1206 Avatar
pleblanc1206 Gold Member Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "The MG"
2013 Scion FR-S
In reply to a post by danc
In reply to a post by spartanbilly Since my overdrive will engage in any gear (including reverse)(long story) and I have not damaged it yet......!!! I did the simplest thing I could think of and it took about 15 minutes. I removed the steering column shroud and tapped into the overdrive switch (white wire as I recall). I ran that wire over to the brake warning light which was not in use as the actual switch on the brake line was broken. Works great and it never fails to catch my attention even in the brightest light.

I did the same thing years ago. Works Great. But I did not remove the shroud. I tapped into the yellow wire at the plug.

The yellow wires can also be accessed from the engine compartment (at leats on mine). Near the firewall on the right-hand side, there are a number of connectors between the dash harness and main harness (?). I tested this point and got voltage when the O/D switch was engaged. But of course, now you need to run a wire from there back to the indicator light on the console.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Limey Avatar
Limey Eric Marshall
Pentwater, MI, USA   USA
But that is a much better way of doing it - and means it can be removed just as easily. Also much less chance of wiring damage, and being labelled a DPO at some time in the future!

Eric Marshall
Bits4Brits

bcliff Avatar
bcliff Bruce Clifford
Loveland, CO, USA   USA
1955 MG TF "Winston"
1967 MG MGB "Prim"
My dash lights are wired directly, so I put a turn signal indicator in the hole where the rheostat was. It points up and is on when the OD is engaged. For some, it may seem unnecessary, but I appreciate the reminder. It shines pretty brightly, even during the day.
Bruce

Huff751 Dennis Hufford
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
Once you take the seat belt light apart, how do you make the OD ENGAGED lettering??

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
I bought one of these on Amazon, but haven't installed it yet. I love the idea of repurposing the seatbelt light though!

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

Attachments:
OD_light.jpg    4.5 KB
OD_light.jpg

Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
If you have the earlier toggle switch you can gt illuminated toggle switches. Now as i drive several cars and use OD infrequently overall i find the illumination helps me switch back into classic car mode and its a nice to have mod...

Paul755 Paul H
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"

Alfi83 Alfi G
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB MkII "The B"
You could get a black/chrome toggle switch with an LED in the end. The one I got looks similar to an original Lucas toggle (a normal toggle, not the goofy OD toggle).

Attachments:
IMG_20180417_221321924_LL.jpg    44.3 KB
IMG_20180417_221321924_LL.jpg

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
I cancelled the dimmer (installed a 5A fuse instead) and installed the OD light (amber) in its location on the dashboard.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Attachments:
20180408_214531.jpg    47 KB
20180408_214531.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster