AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fireball Avatar
Fireball Mister M
Oak Ridge, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "BLAZE"
How many of you have mounted an Overdrive Indicator Light and where did you mount it? Color of light? Pictures please.
Fireball

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pmaland2000 Avatar
pmaland2000 Paul Maland
Leduc, AB, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Bea"
I was thinking of it but left it for now. I was going to put a round green light in one of the blanking plates for rocker switches below the radio. I'd be curious to see some pictures as well.

Soyokaze 72MGB Avatar
Soyokaze 72MGB Silver Member Ryan Foster
Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan   JPN
1972 MG MGB "Bitty"
It is possible to mount one in the center console next to the Hazzard Light. This hole is supposed to be for a white MGBGT heated rear glass indicator light. IMHO the way to go is to use one of these lights on a roadster as an OD indicator. I'll get to it when I next hit the boneyard as I know there is one here in DFW.

Another option is to use the "Fasten Seat Belts" light just below it. Your car should still have the lens and socket, otherwise it is a common part.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 01:33 PM by Soyokaze 72MGB.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Proper Use for MGB Radio Hole.jpg    29.6 KB
Proper Use for MGB Radio Hole.jpg

GeeMoo Avatar
GeeMoo Greg M
North of the City, ON, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB GT
I bought some LED's to do this, but haven't executed yet.
My opinion is that Yellow is an appropriate colour given the circuit wiring. smiling smiley

1970 MGB Black Label OD, APT VP12, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, Hilton AUD405 HS4 SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Pertronix Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" Dayton Wire Wheels, Falken ZE 912's, Falcon Big Bore
1972 MGB GT Blue Label OD, APT VP14, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, HIF SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Points Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" GC360 Wheels, Falken ZE-950s, Peco Exhaust, Frontline Costello front valance

pleblanc1206 Avatar
pleblanc1206 Gold Member Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "The MG"
2013 Scion FR-S
I have an amber light installed in the center console next to the red hazard light, but not yet wired in to the O/D yellow wire circuit. I am using the "Seat Belt" light position as a fog lamp indicator but I have replaced with a later-model green "Beam" light. (Sorry - no pix available from my work location)

Limey Avatar
Limey Eric Marshall
Pentwater, MI, USA   USA
I used an amber light mounted in the center console. However, I soon got annoyed with it because it was on all the time the car was in overdrive so I got to thinking! A little research and I eventually came up with a circuit that monitors the O/D switches so that the light ONLY comes on if the inhibit switch is open (in a non-O/D gear), but the O/D switch is closed. AND if the light is on, and you shift back to an O/D gear, the O/D will not engage until you cycle the switch off and on again!

The original version was a little temperamental and was temperature sensitive - so I redesigned it to make it operate more consistently and after a few tries, got it working. It is now reliable - and for sale! (Shameless plug). It really is a LOT better than having that amber light on all the time - especially at night!

Go to my website if you are interested - see below!

Eric Marshall
Bits4Brits

spartanbilly Bill Snyder
Greeneville, TN, USA   USA
Since my overdrive will engage in any gear (including reverse)(long story) and I have not damaged it yet......!!! I did the simplest thing I could think of and it took about 15 minutes. I removed the steering column shroud and tapped into the overdrive switch (white wire as I recall). I ran that wire over to the brake warning light which was not in use as the actual switch on the brake line was broken. Works great and it never fails to catch my attention even in the brightest light.

RoB73 Rob Lyall
Kamloops, BC, Canada   CAN
Wray told me how to wire into the "Fasten Seatbelts" light which my father-in-law had disconnected with the buzzer. I'd thought of it as a memory aid to remind me if OD was in or out while driving.

One afternoon I was about to back out of a mall parking space & happened to glance down to see the light lit. I guess I'd touched the lever while parking & was glad of the light as the B was in reverse & I was using the clutch. I've read here that reverse will damage the OD so don't want to find out as that would be an expensive repair & I'd regret having to go back to just direct drive.

I'd recommend a warning light somewhere! THANKS Wray!

Cheers

Rob

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, So Cal, USA   USA
Right next to the switch. This is an original Rootes accessory from the 60's.

Two Bs Avatar
Two Bs Gold Member Kent McNeill
London, ON, Canada   CAN
I copied this picture from a MGE member (sorry I can't find his name) and made one up for myself and put it where seat belt light was.

Attachments:
OD Engage1.JPG    27.7 KB
OD Engage1.JPG

rkelnhofer Avatar
rkelnhofer Ron Kelnhofer
Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
I installed an OD light from a 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Couldn't be happier with how it works and looks.

Ron Kelnhofer
'72 B

Attachments:
OD light off1.jpg    34.1 KB
OD light off1.jpg

od light off2.jpg    42.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Overdrive Light 3.JPG    26.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rkelnhofer Avatar
rkelnhofer Ron Kelnhofer
Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Here's what it looks like on.

Ron

Attachments:
OD Light on.jpg    40.3 KB
OD Light on.jpg

awest Avatar
awest Gold Member Adam West
Berkshires, MA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Jackie"
Here is a former blog about the same thing with the modification that I used.

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,963144,963144#msg-963144

Adam West

1979 MGB Vermillion Red

mansep2 Avatar
mansep2 Paul Mansell
Nanaimo, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to a post by pmaland2000 I was thinking of it but left it for now. I was going to put a round green light in one of the blanking plates for rocker switches below the radio. I'd be curious to see some pictures as well.

Was on my list to do as well.

1973 MGB, restoration while maintaining drivability

I own an MG............Lots of fun and frustration........Just can't beat it.

gooser Avatar
gooser Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   USA
i really think it's unnecessary.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links