Just wanted to post a few pictures of the carpet in a more completed state. I think the tunnel came out very nice. The secret was, I cut some light chipboard and fitted it around the top of the tunnel, to make a smoothly curving surface, and taped it into shape, then glued the carpet to this shell. So it now acts like a piece of rigid molded carpet, that drops in over the insulation and is fastened down with four snaps.
I added a photo showing my custom cubby, It's shallow, but the lip is high enough to keep things from spilling out, and it's lined with carpet so they don't thump and bump. I figure it will fit my phone while it charges, and my sunglass case. My vintage car tour navigator likes to use Waze, and this would give him somewhere to set the phone instead of having to keep it clutched in his hand -- he needs his hands to hang on with. Although, I am installing shoulder belts in this build, so that won't be quite as much of a problem as previously.
Driver side of tunnel
Other side with brake lever and boot
I need to get the rear bulkhead panel in to hide the mess. But the carpet looks good. I glued insulation to the underside of the battery cover piece
With the rear floor pieces in place, but the front tunnel piece removed.
View from left, basically complete
Right view. Shifter boot surround is just set in place for the photo.
Custom cubby. No radio, so I removed the speaker and grill, lined it with carpet, cut a rigid back wall and installed a cigar lighter/power plug for phone charger.