Been doing a variety of things... not necessarily in order...
• Scrubbed and painted the trunk area, after removing the boot lid to simplify access. I also dropped the gas tank as I didn't think I wanted to use that one -- it had a patch and had been full of very gunky gas.I found that Krylon Colormaster CoverMAX Hunter Green is decent match for the Dark British Racing Green we decided on. It's just a hair bluish, but the value is pretty identical, so in the dark confines of the boot I think it will pass scrutiny. I also tried Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Extra Cover Hunter Green, but it was brighter -- it was a good match for the regular British Racing Green sample that my paintshop had sprayed out.
• Removed the front wing splashguards and painted them the same color. Waiting for the shop to return my bag of rivets for the new seals, which had been included in the box o' parts in the boot when I sent it down. I think they also have my hood prop rod. I will do a little rough masking and spray the front wheel wheels green, also -- I don't want any OE White showing. But I'm not using this front suspension so I'm not really worried about overspray.
• Removed the seats so I can clean up and spray the area around the battery box lid, which will show when I'm opening it. Set them aside wrapped in plastic.
• Bought a nice pair of door top rails from an ad on MGEx. He threw in at my request an odd set of spare handles and window cranks, just to use during construction, and put on the old car afterward. This shell didn't come with any (only one door pull). While installing these noticed that a few door hinge screws were missing. Swiped them off the red car, then found some in the odd parts box, and replaced those. Could not get one of them to start on the driver door; decided it would take some metal removal.
• Spent some time cleaning up gauges. The lens gaskets had turned to solid rock. I could not get the bezel off the combo gauge at all, but I am going to use the one off the red car anyway, since it was rebuilt 1 year ago. Had to take the speedo and tach out of their cases because the white paint was flaking, making it look like the dials had dandruff. Once apart, realized it was only flaking where the gaskets touched it, and easily cleaned up. Had to soak the bezels in diesel fuel for days to soften up the gasket remnants enough to scrape them off. But the chrome polished up pretty nice. I want to use this speedo to preserve odometer mileage, and this tach because the other car had a cheap JC Whitney mechanism behind the stock dial. I "think" it has been converted to negative ground -- at least, the white wire was cut and spliced per the diagram in the Moss catalog. As corroborative evidence, the battery cable ends had been cut off and replaced, presumably to reverse polarity.
• Also cleaned up the dash switches. This car had the pull-out lighting switch, which was a mid-year change for 1966. My red car (20,000 numbers earlier) had a toggle switch. Couldn't find a wiper switch, so I guess I'll swipe it from the other car. All the chrome bezels and the map light polished up great -- I had thought they were all crazed, but now I think the PO was a smoker and they were just hazed.
• Cleaned and painted many odd bits, including: battery cover, license plate bracket, heater vent doors, cold air door, boot stay rod and clip, heater tube cover plate (whatever they call it), firewall cover plate (off side), bolts and washers for wing splash panels (don't want shiny hardware under there).
Lots of masking required
This actually shows the Rustoleum green, I think. Since I had bought it, I used it for the first coat.
Brighter green on the left. The righthand strip is a good match for the body color.