I recently replaced my rear brake shoes, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, replaced the wheel bearing and all the seals and gaskets between the hub and the diff. I then bled the brakes and the clutch and took it for a drive. It felt great, so I decided to drive the Sprite to work the next day. On the way home I noticed my foot was travelling farther and farther on the brakes. I planned to re-bleed, thinking I wasnâ€™t as thorough as possible, and found a leak from my master cylinder.
I got all the replacement parts from a local British parts store and got to work the next day. There was a large puddle of fluid sitting inside the foot well. So I started the process of taking the master cylinder out.
This was very frustrating. I couldn't completely grasp what was supposed to come out from my Haynes manual. But I read another manual online that said to take the entire tray that the MC sits in out from the bulk head. Easy enough... so I spent the next half hour trying to get a wrench around the bolts on the underside of the bulk head... until I realized the bolts were ATTACHED to the underside. Frustrating, but this made things easier.
I took the pedals out with the tray, it was just easier. Once it was all out, it was pretty simple, apart from removing the circlips. (!!!) I took everything apart, dumped out the old fluid and checked out the old parts. All the rubber seemed pretty smashed and destroyed.
Refitting the new parts was simple to do. However, I chose not to use the small white piece that came in my set, which online is referred to as the "brake cylinder check valve". This may have been a mistake, but the original seemed to fit in better, and was in decent shape. Also... one of the little plastic feet and sit in the front of the spring was broken... so I had nothing to put there.
After lots of scrubbing and cleaning, it all went together pretty simply. I also didn't use a honing tool. Possibly another mistake on my part, but I wasn't familiar with that tool, so I chose not to use it and possible ruin the original parts. But I did give it a nice cleaning with some fine steel wool.
It is now all back together, and I will re-bleed the system today after work and test everything all out.
All-in-all, it wasn't a terribly difficult job... but it was a little time consuming for me, not knowing all the steps. Hopefully this entry can help someone else tho. Thanks for looking.