This weekend's undertaking with the Bee was to replace the foam in the seats and to replace the seat belts. The seat belts went according to plan, the seats... not as much. The seats in the Bee are terribly uncomfortable, and each time you sit down, a cloud of tiny particles of yellow foam emerges from the seats. We had assumed that the seat foam itself was breaking down, but when we got the cover off of the passenger seat, we realized that the foam lining of the cover itself was also deteriorating. So new seat covers have been added to the 'to buy' list.
On the bright side, taking out the passenger seat gave a better view of the floor... which was not terribly rusty at all! There's one dime-sized hole in the top right of the footwell, but the rest of the floor is solid. We scrubbed it down with a wire brush and spray painted it with rust-oleum. Eventually we'll replace that dratted carpet, but for now it went back down.
Seat belt replacement went fine. The car had three-point retractable seatbelts installed, but they did not work well. I wanted to still have three-point seatbelts (so we do), but I am concerned about the location of the retracting mechanism. After some serious debate about how they have to be mounted, both are in and appear secure. I'm going to continue looking for a way to have the belt better located across our shoulders, since the bolt hole for the mechanism is on the side of the car, lower than the top of the seat.
Incidentally, we also got around to replacing the turn signal indicator stalk, which was for some reason non-functional. Taking the steering wheel off was an adventure, as described by many many others, but it didn't end up requiring days and days with penetrating oil. While we were digging around with the wiring before putting the steering wheel back on, we discovered an un-clicked connection... further poking found what it was supposed to be connected to, and now the highbeams work! Unintended results. The wiring on this car continues to prove itself enigmatic.
Complete: Seat belts
Incomplete: Seat re-upholstery
Up Next: Brakes
Revealing the floor as we pull up the carpeting... in excellent condition!
The floor, post-brushing and spray painting. We'll re-do the carpeting eventually.
Out with the old and in with the new... turn signal indicator stalk.
Andrew trying to figure out where the mystery un-plugged wires go. "I'm stuck!" he said, as I took a picture instead of helping.