AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

yellow fan blades
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Curious, I've seen a couple of T's with the yellow "extra blades" fan blades and was wondering if there is a particular reason for going to them. Is this in some way due to a potential overheating problem, or perhaps some other need?
Rich7771

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 01:36 AM by ping45.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
They are fitted with the MGB yellow 7 blade fan (thermoplastic), which gives better cooling and is less disastrous if it sheds a blade (the original steel fans have been known to fail). The MGB fan fits readily, the 4 mounting holes are in the same position, though the bolts on T types are slimmer, so advisable to fit a reducing bush in each hole on the fan.
Dave H

Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
People also paint the original fan blades yellow, hoping the color will remind them to keep their fingers and sleeves away from the spinning fan...

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Yes No Thank
jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Rich I installed one of yellow Mgb 7 blade fans in my td. From what I have found it moves considerably more air than the old 4 blade fan. I believe that the extra air will help to keep the engine compartment cooler especially in stop and go driving.

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Some people install them to aid in cooling because they do move a bit more air. In a TC or TD, I feel the cooling system is more than adequate for any weather. I've driven my TC in hotter weather than probably 95% of an T-Series cars ever will, and have never seen the cooling system struggle. The radiator is as big as the engine. That said, the TF is a different animal so maybe a more efficient fan would help.

There's one guy in our local group who hasn't had a fan in his TC in 20 years. He drove with me through the Mojave desert one time, in temperatures well over 100F. His car would only start to heat up if he sat in one place for too long, which reinforces the point that the fan really only does anything at all when at low speeds or stopped. I think most cooling issues in these cars are due to other factors - clogged radiator, incorrect timing or advance weights, state of tune, etc.

Yes No Thank
Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
Steve I tend to agree with you. However, it may help replacing it to solve the metal fatigue issue of coming apart that was mentioned if you were in there already.

Not sure how big a issue this fatigue issue really is but I guess if it happened to me I would say "I should have done it before it failed." But I have to ask myself is it worth the effort unless you are going to be taking the radiator out, etc. In my case keeping seven old cars running just fixing the things that need attention or redoing worn out things like tops, moldings, seats, etc is enough work without making work to fix something that may or may not be a issue in the future. Someday I will be rich enough and will hire a personal mechanical team like Jay Leno does. Probably not in this lifetime.

In my experience working with older cars I have found two major issues that seem to need to be addressed when I bring in a new car - radiator cleaning/coring and internal sludge in the motor's water passage which restricts the flow. Of course there is always the perennial thermostat issue of sticking closed.

Right now I am in the process of removing and replace a computer module which controls the air bags. Kind of critical in my way of thinking. I actually had to remove the entire driver's side seat and interior, center console, shift lever, etc. Just to get to it. Thanks to Mercedes engineering. It is a dealer only item. Thought about buying a used one but after all the work to get to it I decided I did not want to do that job twice.

Joe

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
I feel your pain. I have nine cars here, eight of them old cars that are driven and maintained regularly and one modern thing my wife drives that I refuse to touch, for lack of time and enthusiasm. I don't think fatigue is much of a problem on T-Type fans since I've never seen one let loose, but anything can fail eventually. MGA and later fans definitely fatigue and break when they get old and abused. I had an MGA fan blade let loose once and was very lucky nothing bad happened.

Yes No Thank
Tpss Avatar
Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
I fitted a yellow fan from a tractor as it was cheaper than the MGB one. In the summer it sucks the bugs through the radiator and deposits them on the inside of the bonnet (hood). The much increased airflow stops the petrol vaporising in the carbs and fuel pipes. It also deposits the leaking oil further down the chassis that helps preserve the car! The engine temperature is controlled by the thermostat.

Yes No Thank
Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
I've painted the end of each metal blade to make it more visible cool smiley

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Peter. Good observation. I had forgotten to mention the eviserated bugs. Lol.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB V8 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links