XPAG Cylinder head identification???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgbrv8 Dave Hetrick
USA   USA
Hello gentlemen I have a question my dad’s 1953MGTD has a rust hole that has worked its way through the exhaust runner his head number is what I believe is 88422 next to the Headstud outside of the valve cover and under the valve cover it has a number of 4011F3. I acquired a cylinder head that was advertised as a MGTD cylinder head with a outside (stanmped not cast) head number of AEF118 and an inside head number of 7410F4. Now one thing I noticed immediately was that this head has been milled considerably. The head on my dad’s 53 I milled .070” to bring the compression ratio closer to 8 to 1. But this one seems to be a machine drastically more. First off going by this other cylinder heads numbers what Engine did this originally go on?? I’m starting to wonder if this is a MGTC head. Any input and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also what is your thoughts on the combustion chamber sizes. It seems like I’m going to have to CC the combustion chambers before I do any work to this other head. I don’t want to invest a lot of time into it and find out it’s something I can’t use.

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_9618.jpg    26.2 KB
IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg    58.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_9612.jpg    43.9 KB
IMG_9615.jpg    54.9 KB
mgbrv8 Dave Hetrick
USA   USA
Dave

Attachments:
IMG_9614.jpg    49.4 KB
IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9616.jpg    80.5 KB
IMG_9617.jpg    89.4 KB
mgbrv8 Dave Hetrick
USA   USA
more photos

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_9619.jpg    36.5 KB
IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg    30.6 KB
IMG_9613.jpg    70.6 KB
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I'll have to research the numbers. but two things are certain... one is that is not a TC head. The early XPAG heads including TD's until late into production had banana shaped water ports along with the block..and this one has round holes. The other certainty is the ? head has been dramatically shaved.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
The AEF 118 would have been an XPEG head I believe. The proof however would be to measure the locations of the water jackets compared to the 53 head as they were moved slightly to accommidate the new bore size.

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
AEF118 is an MG TF 1500 cylinder head. Yours has been substantially skimmed, to the point I wouldn't want to use it on a road car. I know a guy with a head spacer he might sell if you want to go that route, but if it were me I'd look for another head.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Looks like someone took a lot of meat off that head! If the head is true and the block the same, with a thick solid copper gasket, it would probably work out. but I would put new studs in the block first, like the ones Tom Lange sells and torque it up. Used as is with a stock head gasket, I wonder how high the compression ratio would go? PJ

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
If I were going to use that head, I would want to address those spark plug threads. Way too many sharp edges for my comfort.

GB3 George B
Winter Haven, USA   USA
TF1500 heads are virtually unobtainable. Yes it has been milled a lot but still rare and possibly valuable. George

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Can an XPEG head actually be used directly on a XPAG block without modulation to either?

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster