AutoShrine Sponsor

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
thumbs upsmileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Some more great advice. Will check with clay. l am all stock with .060 over pistons. Don't know about any head or block clean up cuts. Will have to do some measuring. Would like to go with one of Len's rollers. Being the car is really for my wife and most likely only driven on Sunday, I'm not sure what to do just yet. She's afraid she is going to go blind or get to old to drive it at the rate I'm getting it on the road. Thanks!!

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
My XPEG has a Crane cam in it, a replacement for the stock original. The engine runs perfectly through all cycles, idles like a dream and has plenty of power at the top. Forgot the number, but I have it in the receipts files. PJ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Probably their 340-0002 cam. Their other cam is the 340-0010 cam, which is also good, but intended for more HP. I think it would be good in an XPEG, for instance.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

WHT Avatar
WHT william luddite
Brakenville, USA, USA   USA
Up to about 5000 RPM, the lower lift Crane 340-0002 cam is probably better on the street than their 340-0010 cam. Especially, if the car is for your wife and she is not running the engine much past 5000 RPM. And, you can use lower valve spring pressures with fewer valve spring/coil bind issues.

Factors like head porting and compression have more affect on usable street performance than differences between the 340-0002 and 340-0010 cams below 5000 RPM. Sometimes simplicity and reliability are good.

However, I don't know how your wife drives on the street and she might run in the 5000 to 6000 RPM range whenever possible. smileys with beer

Regards, Bill

Attachments:
Cam Comparison.JPG    17.3 KB
Cam Comparison.JPG

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
The number 340-0002 rings a bell, I would say that's the cam I have. PJ

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks! Great info. From the way I've seen her drive she'll most likely snap an axle. RPM wise she'll stay in a lower range. I've had another gent offer a NOS cam which I'm not to sure about. Asked for a cam card. Still looking and thinking about all the options.

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Hi Gents. 40 deg. here in Mid Michigan so I started to pull the cam. Only got as far out as the photos show. Feels like the front bearing is going to have to come out in order to get the center bearing thru the hole. I thought the center bearing was split and would come off as two halves. Does not want to behave that way and does not look to have a split line in it. Anyway I used my 2.00 inch mic and got 1.115 on the first lobe which should be the #1 cyl. Exh. lobe. The second lobe mic. at 1.117inch. This explains to .002 difference I saw in lift between the two when trying to do the profile. The third lobe exposed was 1.121. See attach photos. Not sure how to get the cam all the way out right now. THANKS Bob Rosa

Attachments:
CAM 1.jpg    26.7 KB
CAM 1.jpg

CAM 2.jpg    18.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CAM 3.jpg    32.4 KB
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Look more closely - the center bearing IS split. That's the only way it comes, and the only way the cam will come out. The split goes through the center of the hole for the locking bolt, if that's any help.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
From the photo's it looks like a few lobes are worn.
I do have a Trade in cam, A like new Delta regrind with tapered lobes for crowned lifters, using the OEM push rod length, if interested., It has little more lift and duration than a stock cam.
New Crane cams in stock.
Len Fanelli
Abingdon Performance Ltd.

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks Tom! The cam is out. Looks like a fully machined cam. Unless some one machined the space between lobes. The exhaust lobe for the #4 cylinder is definitely sharper then the #1 lobe and measures 1.145. Some of the lobes show pitting. Doing the finger nail test across the surface show some roughness. Thanks! Bob Rosa

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Send it to Delta Cams in Tacoma, and ask for their RV grind. Send your lifters as well, and have the usual taper/crowns done to promote turning of the tappets.

Tom lange
MGT Repair

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Or make me an offer on my like new Delta regrind # 250S with tapered lobes for crowned lifters!
For Sale! Another trade in camshaft!
Like new condition Delta MG T type 250S camshaft, 250-254 duration advertised, 215 duration @ .050" lifter rise, .390" gross valve lift A very mild street cam as per Scott @ Delta cams. More power than a stock replacement, more low end torque than a Moss / Crane Performance cam. .014 valve lash for quiet operation. Make me an offer I can not refuse. laf48@aol.com 914 420 8699

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
More great information. Thank You Tom and Len! I took a couple photos of my lifter #1 piston exhaust lifter. These were new lifters with only about 2 hours of run time. Came from England. So my question is what does this special grind look like?

Attachments:
lifter 2.jpg    30.5 KB
lifter 2.jpg

lifter 4.jpg    31.3 KB
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Place a straight edge against the lifter face. Lifters designed for original cams will be perfectly flat. Lifters for modern cams will not. The machining to both the lifter and cam lobes aids the tappet to rotate in the bore to prevent a wear groove from a stationary tappet which eventually leads to lobe failure

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster