Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

Who sells chrome radiator grilles for a TD?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SalB Silver Member Salvatore Buccieri
Boxford, MA, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Almosta Car"
Who distributes chrome radiator grilles and what can I expect to pay for one?
Sal

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Moss no longer offers them. I’m not sure but I don’t believe the stainless aftermarket grills are even in production anymore. They used to show up on eBay but haven’t seen one come up in about a year. I have a new one in a box for a MK II project but haven’t tried to fit it yet.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I tried recently to have one of those 80's repops plated. Despite 3 attempts, the copper lifted off of it during polishing.

I just got a really nice one from Doug at FTFU. He might have another one left.

Also, I just sent another original out for plating, likely not back til April. It might already be spoken for, I'll post here if it isn't snatched up.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Copper bubble.jpg    35.7 KB
Copper bubble.jpg

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
I thought the PO meant the slats...not the shell. Now I’m confused

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
All shells were chrome, except for a small run of aftermarket items. Slats were always painted from the factory but there have been aftermarket ones made in the past, and some owners chromed their originals. If you mean a perfect, as new shell then be prepared to spend several hundred at least. Chromed slats in perfect condition, probably around $100. I see them at swap meets now and then in used condition, usually not sold. There isn't much of a market for them.

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
I thought the shell prices were much higher. Do slats come as complete sets?

Steve S Avatar
Normally slats come as complete sets, with the outer two loose. As for prices on grill shells, it depends on who you buy from. Generally speaking, you can get a tattered one for about $100 at a swap meet. But restoring it will cost at least several hundred, possibly a lot more depending on what kind of repair it needs. The guys selling them for $1,500+ are usually the ones who thought they could save money by purchasing a bad one and restoring it. And that's probably just how much they have into it after restoration, no profit in the sale.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 3889958 by Steve S All shells were chrome, except for a small run of aftermarket items. Slats were always painted from the factory but there have been aftermarket ones made in the past, and some owners chromed their originals. If you mean a perfect, as new shell then be prepared to spend several hundred at least. Chromed slats in perfect condition, probably around $100. I see them at swap meets now and then in used condition, usually not sold. There isn't much of a market for them.

Chrome slats were found on MKII cars I believe. In addition the slats on the TD 1250 were clearly chromed and not painted. Let me know if you find a nice set as they are no longer produced. I don't see the owner sending these out for plating but he would like to keep it as close as possible to the way it rolled out the door.

Attachments:
IMG_3395 (3).JPG    53.7 KB
IMG_3395 (3).JPG

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889956 by TD4834 I thought the PO meant the slats...not the shell. Now I’m confused

Misread. Perhaps slats (grill).

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Steve S Avatar
LaVerne, I think you're right about the MKii coming with chrome slats. I forgot about that. Admittedly I'm not an expert on TD minutia!

erikxpag Avatar
erikxpag erik van hardeveld
Elst (Utr.), Utrecht, Netherlands   NLD
1938 MG TA
1952 MG TD
Hello,

I don't know if you are looking for the slats or for the shell.
New shells are available from Compound Curvatures in Nottingham UK.

www.themgk3.co.uk

Regards from the Netherlands

Erik van Hardeveld

gerard3 Silver Member Gerard Hengeveld
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
1953 MG TD
I have a set of chrome slats for sale. they came with a project . The owner had them chromed and I must say that has cost a hell lot . At present the slats are dismantled as you would aspect.
If you are interested let me know .I need a private email address for pictures.

Price including shipping from Porthill ID 83853 USD 185,--

Cheers,

Gerard

gerard3 Silver Member Gerard Hengeveld
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
1953 MG TD
Here is the picture from the slats,

Gerard

Attachments:
100_1949.JPG    52.7 KB
100_1949.JPG

jgood67mgb Avatar
jgood67mgb Jim Goodwin
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
1948 MG TC "Cash Eater"
1952 MG TD "Pick Pocket"
1957 MG MGA 1500
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Old Reliable Healey Killer"    & more
Laverne, I don't know about the slats in your picture but I'm pretty sure that's a TC Grill shell with the open bottom hole for the hand crank Jim

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 3890333 by jgood67mgb Laverne, I don't know about the slats in your picture but I'm pretty sure that's a TC Grill shell with the open bottom hole for the hand crank Jim

I agree Jim and I'm pretty sure that's what came on this early TD

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster