Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

what kinds of gear reduction starters are you using in MG TD motors?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

craig.cootsona Avatar
craig.cootsona Craig Cootsona
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Hello all,
I’m looking at gear reduction starters for my XPAG motor (120 tooth MG TD flywheel) and there are options ranging from about $114 to almost $300. I understand you often get what you pay for but I thought I would see what people recommend. Those made by High Torque seem to be recommended by many around the $200 range. Barney’s MGA Guru Page on reduction gear starters

Thank you,
Craig
TA2962

Craig Cootsona
1938 MG TA #2962 ("bitsa" special)
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I have a high torque starter that came from British Starters, with a NipponDenso motor. Easy to fit and works really well. I think its the same as they sell for the later MG Midget. Currently $179.
Dave H

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
I got mine from British Parts Northwest. The first one I received from them was put on a restoration project that didn’t get used until two years after purchased. A case separation caused a failure in short order. I called them up and explained my delemna. No problem, they sent me a new starter and a replacement ring gear at no charge and free return shipping of the old starter. Very accommodating given the starter was well beyond the warranty period. I have had excellent service from the replacement starter on my hi compression XPAG.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Remember about polarity; not all hi-torque starters work on positive-ground systems.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
That may be true Tom IDK. My car has been converted to Neg earth. Contact the vender to be sure.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Michael C Michael Calvert
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia   AUS
Craig,

You might like to consider the Powerlight 801 gear reduction starter. It is more compact than the others and being basically cylindrical, without the piggy back arrangement, looks neater and more in keeping with the appearance of the original Lucas.

I looks to me as though this is the unit Peter Edney uses on his high specification motors although I cannot be absolutely certain.

Another advantage of this starter is its light weight. Mine weighs 3.1 kg as compared with the Lucas unit at 5.21 kg.

My rebuild is not complete so I cannot report on the starters usage.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments:
starter.jpg    13.2 KB
starter.jpg

craig.cootsona Avatar
craig.cootsona Craig Cootsona
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Thank you all for your suggestions. Time to do some reading and shopping around.

Craig Cootsona
1938 MG TA #2962 ("bitsa" special)
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster