Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Taz.d Steve B
Worthing, UK   GBR
Did a final check to make sure everything was tight after fitting newly rebuilt rear axle to my TD... runs smooth and is very quiet..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Look'n pretty good!

Skygod Avatar
Skygod Gold Member Brad Purvis
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
Today was a bit of a bust. I sanded the paint off of the left front frame rail hoping to find the chassis number. No joy. So this started me thinking; are early TCs stamped like the later ones? There seem to be significant differences between the very early TCs (mine is the 526th made), and those produced later. Maybe the stamping locations are different, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place(s).

I also removed the badge bar, only to discover the rubber pads under the mounts have turned to goo. Neither Moss nor FTFU offer replacements. I'm looking for a suitable substitute in order to make my own. Right now I'm leaning towards cork as it will be the easiest to work with.

The dash assembly arrived at the Whitworth Shop on Friday, so I'm waiting to hear from Craig what the damage will be to my retirement fund.

If you don't know where you are going, any road can take you there.

Brad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Check with an industrial rubber supply house. They will have many types and thicknesses available.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
While getting a break from our much needed rains a friend and I took our TDs for a 220 mi spirited drive through the city of Woodland, the Capay Valley, Rumsey Canyon over towards Clearlake and into Calistoga for lunch. We made the return trip through the northern end of Napa Valley and turning east along Lake Berryessa, the towns of Winters and Davis and back to Sacramento. The traffic was light which allowed us plenty of room to run the cars WOT for much of the day

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
Any suggestions as to who?

Brad

MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
In reply to # 3881673 by Skygod Any suggestions as to who?
You could start with McMaster Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber

https://www.mgexp.com/registry/TA2566
https://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN3L108333

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Brad, I’m not in your area so I have no recommendations. Here, I have Sacramento Rubber Supply. Which sells sheet rubber, belts, conveyor belt material, hydraulic and pneumatic hose, fire hose etc. look in your local directory under “rubber “ I didn’t look but maybe Grainger might carry something you can use. If not they surely could point you in the right direction or a tractor supply. You just need a thin piece rubber gasket or diaphragm material to protect your paint surfaces, right?

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
In reply to # 3881750 by MRoadster
In reply to # 3881673 by Skygod Any suggestions as to who?
You could start with McMaster Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber

Thanks for the link Jim.

Brad

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
In reply to # 3881755 by TD4834 Brad, I’m not in your area so I have no recommendations. Here, I have Sacramento Rubber Supply. Which sells sheet rubber, belts, conveyor belt material, hydraulic and pneumatic hose, fire hose etc. look in your local directory under “rubber “ I didn’t look but maybe Grainger might carry something you can use. If not they surely could point you in the right direction or a tractor supply. You just need a thin piece rubber gasket or diaphragm material to protect your paint surfaces, right?

Thanks, Bill. Yes, It's just a piece to go between the badge bar mount and splash pan to prevent metal on metal contact. We do have a Tractor Supply down the street. I'll have to drop by and see what they have.

Brad

Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
Brad you can find the rubber at Ace Hardware in the plumbing section. It comes in 6X6 piece. Cheap.

Joe

Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
I bought rubber sheet from Woolies in the UK, only to be told by a friend that he had used worn out Tyre Inner Tubes.

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
In reply to # 3881898 by Hawkmonster Brad you can find the rubber at Ace Hardware in the plumbing section. It comes in 6X6 piece. Cheap.

Joe

If Tractor Supply doesn't have it then I'll motor a few more miles down to ACE. Thanks, Joe.

Brad

TD Tickford Avatar
TD Tickford Douglas Robinson
Scottsdale, AZ, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
For future reference, maybe not necessary here, but there used to be a place called Metro Molded parts (Illinois or Minnesota IIRC). I'll look for my VERY old catalog. They had all types of rubber parts for just about anything automobile. I got the rubber moldings that fit between the landau irons and the top for an MG SA Tickford and then some windshield rubber seal material that was made for a Delorean (or a Bradley?) They sent me several samples of different cars so I could design the windshield frames for my TD to Tickford conversion. However, that was about 25 years ago so ?? if they ae still in business. If they are still selling, I'd almost bet that some higher end vehicle used a special design "grommet" or whatever!

Doug MGTD DHC (in the Tickford Tradition)

Attachments:
Bradley.JPG    65.9 KB
Bradley.JPG

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Had one of those Brain Fart moments today. Took the engine out some months back and had it setting in the corner of the garage while I got the frame and suspension done. Today, I was cleaning the engine on an engine stand to get it ready for paint. Perfectly clean, but the pan had a lot of peeling paint on it. So, before thinking, I turned the motor over on the engine stand to work on the pan. Yep, I forgot to drain the oil. A really nice mess on the garage floor, and now I have to clean the entire motor again.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster