Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jborkman52 Avatar
Jborkman52 Jim Borkman
Clarence, NY, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1959 MG MGA 1600
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Hootie"
1979 MG MGB "Charlie"
I accidentally drilled a hole through into the block trying to remove the engine number tag. Can I well the opening or other ideas welcome. One thought is to thread and use a brass machine screw. Or maybe the twisted rivet will hold with a lock tight sealer. Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Jim. As I remember, the rivet goes all the way through. I remember tapping the rivet out from inside the block.

As others have said. A little jb weld will seal it.

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3866341 by Jborkman52 I accidentally drilled a hole through into the block trying to remove the engine number tag. Can I well the opening or other ideas welcome. One thought is to thread and use a brass machine screw. Or maybe the twisted rivet will hold with a lock tight sealer. Thoughts?

See this thread Jim:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?46,3865420

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
Fixed my door hinges today. Ordered 8 of the 3/4" bushings from McMaster. 4 of them were used on the center lugs. Splited the other 4 into 8 pieces for upper and lower lugs. Worked out prefect. Only bad part is shipping cost is as much as the parts but no complain.

Attachments:
Door hinge.jpg    28.6 KB
Door hinge.jpg

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Phase one of my re restoration on my 1950 TD is done. Frame is finished. Got the wheels on and got it off the rotisserie.

Next step, cleaning the motor, replacing clutch and throw out and getting the drive train in the frame.

Attachments:
20190107_172719.jpg    38.9 KB
20190107_172719.jpg

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Looks nice Bruce! thumbs up PJ

Skygod Avatar
Skygod Gold Member Brad Purvis
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
I (loosely) hung the new exhaust system today, and the question arose; how far should the exhaust pipe extend? The tip in line with the end of the frame rail, or longer/shorter?

I don't understand the downpipe to muffler gasket. Why isn't it designed to fit the entire flange instead of just a circle, which is a royal PIA to keep in-place while tightening the fittings?

If you don't know where you are going, any road can take you there.

Brad

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
I hate it when I lose my nuts. I was going to complete the exhaust system installation today; however, when I went to look for the down-pipe to muffler nuts, they appeared to have walked off. I know a set came with the system from Abingdon Spares, and I have a receipt from Doug Pelton's FTFU for the same specific nuts, but do you think I could find them? F^@# no! This resulted in about a 90 attempt to organize my workspace to see if I could find them. No joy.

Otherwise, I managed to reconnect the steering column mount and the starter cable, which need a bit of trimming and adjustment for the new starter. Not bad for a couple of hours work on the last warm day for a while.

Oh, and thanks to John James of Totally T-Type2 for posting Doug Pelton's article on starter switch adjustment, and thanks to Doug for said article.

BTW, I've decided two inches past the license plate is the right looking length of the tailpipe to extend out the back. I look forward to your comments.

Brad

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
I've been spending more time on #0777 lately after a few months of ignoring her completely. My intention today was to pull the instrument panel out and ship it off to Craig Seabrook at the Whitworth Shop for refurb. The further I got into it though, the more bodged work I discovered hidden behind the panel. The wiring is atrocious. Crappy crimp splices, mismatched wiring in gauge and color, wires to nowhere, and systems like the low fuel warning lamp and a number of lamps not even being connected. Hell, it took me until today when I removed the Slow Running Cable from the dash to realize the damn thing wasn't even connected to anything. Go figure.

Sooo... I decided to remove the entire facia & instrument assembly and send to the Whitworth Shop for refurbishment. It will take a lot longer and cost a fair amount more money, but at least then it will be done right.

Orrr... I could try to do it myself, but the panel seems so bodged up, that I hesitate to take that on. Besides, I don't have woodworking tools, machines, etc., nor do I have the expertise, especially when it comes to veneer.

I'm not even sure the instrument panel I have is a TC panel. First off, it's painted bronze, and there is a shaved post on the back where somebody obviously modified it to fit. I'm not sure when all this was done; however, I know the turn signals were put in by a "professional mechanic" in South Carolina a number of years when owned by a gentleman prior to the gentleman I bought #0777 from. This so-called "professional" did a real slap-dash job of it, but I don't think he is responsible for the bodged wiring behind the dash. That, I have to attribute to the shop that supposedly restored the car in the U.K. sometime in the '80s, and supposedly before it came stateside for the first time. Of course, I have no documentation of that, only word of mouth passed down by the two previous owners.

It might be tough to get #0777 ready in time for the spring driving season. I may have to rely on Cissy (TD/C21325) for that, assuming she is back together by then. That may be assuming too much.

Brad

Attachments:
BdUSPDetRUqPfFMpwosKjA.jpg    62.2 KB
BdUSPDetRUqPfFMpwosKjA.jpg

O8CsY5AgS2e8%uqMNPGxrg.jpg    38.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rufnek66 Gary McGovern
Hartwell, GA, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
This past weekend, I installed the Abingdon Spares LED tail lights manufactured by Lew Palmer on my TF and all I can say is WOW. They are now at least twice as bright, maybe more, than the original bulbs. The brake lights and turn signals all work perfectly without the need for a different turn signal flasher unit, or a relay, although the instructions did say that might be required. Thank you Abingdon and especially Lew Palmer for making this quality product available. Great work guys. The TF is now much more visible.

Gary McGovern

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Just got nine and put them on the shelf until oai ting is done

In reply to # 3870103 by Paul J Looks nice Bruce! thumbs up PJ

ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Len, just wondering how the shoulder is doing? I had my left rotator done couple years back....no fun at all. For me, it was considerably more difficult than my previous hip and knee replacements. All I can tell you is don't rush it, it does take time. Unfortunately, I fell a couple weeks back and tore the other cuff loose, the doc said it needs rebuilt...or try just shots if mobility and pain level allows. We'll see. Just take it easy, and good luck!
Rich7771

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Rich Today was the 1st of PT 2 days a week, probable 6 months before I have full strength. A lot of progress in mobility since Dr. said I could remove the sling intermittently, on the 14th!
Praying for others who have serious health issues!
Thanks!
Len

Skygod Avatar
Toano, VA, USA   USA
1946 MG TC "#0777"
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
I finished reinstalling the muffler on #777 today. I managed to find the proper nuts for the new stainless steel exhaust system at ACE Hardware, of all places. My one conundrum was how to keep the pipe to muffler gasket in-place while I tightened it down, and then I had a brain wave. Why not spray some adhesive on it to hold the gasket in situ while I tighten everything down? Works like a charm.

When I pulled the steering wheel the other day in order to remove the facia, I found the felt bushing was now only a shadow of its former self. Hopefully, it will be obvious how it fits onto the column and its relationship the spring cover assembly.

Brad

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Thanks! Throw my wife in there: she just had ten hours of scoliosis surgery at age 70.

In reply to # 3880318 by crankjournal Thanks Rich Today was the 1st of PT 2 days a week, probable 6 months before I have full strength. A lot of progress in mobility since Dr. said I could remove the sling intermittently, on the 14th!
Praying for others who have serious health issues!
Thanks!
Len

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1952 MG D Type Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links