Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Today I pulled the core/Welch plugs on my 50 TD that I am restoring. This motor has about 3000 miles since it was rebuilt. Plugs came out easily with a small slide hammer. Almost too easy. Two of the plugs were leaking as was evident from the stains on the block.

But, I guess I am doing something right as there is very little corrosion or signs of rust in the water jacket passages. This motor has sat for about 3 years, and was only run for about 4-5 months out of the year due to the Wisconsin Winters back where we used to live.

So I cleaned the edges and will be installing Tom' Lange's wonderful brass plugs. I am also building a tool to install the plugs better. Also will use JB weld just for a little extra piece of mind.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190202_163703.jpg    24.2 KB
20190202_163703.jpg

20190202_163904.jpg    28.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190202_164343.jpg    16.9 KB
crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Loctite has a core plug sealant but very expensive in a BIG bottle.Here is a more reasonable priced and sized one!

https://www.vibra-tite.com/retaining-compounds/vibra-tite-550-core-plug-sealant-retaining-compound/
Len Fanelli
Abingdon Performance Ltd.

Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
I purchased a second hand block for a TA and it must have been standing some time with an early type of anti-freeze in it. There was an inch of sludge or more inside the bottom of the block. A lot of it came out when turned upside down, the rest came out in the soda bath. I suggest the you put a hose in one core plug hole and see what comes out of the other before you replace the plugs. It may be that it was cleaned 3000 miles ago and was drained every winter so you will see nothing untoward.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Thanks Len. Was not aware of that product. This is what makes this forum so great.

Thanks Tim. Was planning to flush it. Still says a lot about the anti corrosion properties of today's coolants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 11:10 AM by cunhab.

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
What am I doing? NOTHING till my rotator cuff surgery PT is done! Then re installing the cylinder head with Nissan 38 & 35 MM valves! Oh and with Manley Fords' custom head gasket with copper fire rings!
Len Fanelli
Abingdon Performance Ltd.

Attachments:
Manley head gasket.jpg    32.3 KB
Manley head gasket.jpg

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Still recovering from rotator cuff surgery, BUT I just received a Classic Sport Ignition Distributor with a vacuum unit to connect with my AH 100-4 / MGA carbs on my TD. 16 special advance curves for the XPAG! I was able to purchase it direct from them at a good price to the trade and because the big box store does not offer this unit.
Len Fanelli

Attachments:
abingdon performance business card 3.jpg    45.2 KB
abingdon performance business card 3.jpg

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Installed a set of Tom Lange Welch plugs in the TD today. Built an installing tool that really made it easy. Trying a new product (new for me). Permatex core plug adhesive. It looks like their red thread sealer but is for use with core plugs also.

Attachments:
20190208_154954.jpg    29.8 KB
20190208_154954.jpg

20190208_173451.jpg    23.6 KB
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Rainy weather this week in Northern CA. Just the thing for a day in the shop. Got the manifold prepped and coated with POR high Heat Aluminum. I like this product in that is holds up really well. The only issue is if you get oil on it, it will stain. Have to make sure to seal the rod that holds the air cleaner on so it does not leak.

Attachments:
20190216_154432.jpg    38.9 KB
20190216_154432.jpg

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Very warm here today, for February, so decided to fix a potential issue on the heater set-up. The two hoses pass through the front bulkhead just under the battery box, but rubber hoses through holes in sheet steel could lead to chafing of the hoses and an eventual leak. Also its yet another route for fumes to go from under the bonnet / hood into the cabin. I found that a couple of Classic BL Mini bulkhead grommets fitted the hoses and the holes perfectly. Now all back in place and the hoses are protected from chafing.
Dave H

TF4EVER Avatar
TF4EVER Marja VdH
Boulder Creek, CA, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
A week after receiving 15 inches of rain our roads are finally clearing up and the weather was pleasant enough (low 50s w/sun) to take my TF for the first drive of 2019.

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
David, I used a bulk head pass thru from a MGA. Hoses connect to both sides.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Attachments:
Heater3.jpg    41.5 KB
Heater3.jpg

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Yes, I have one of those as well, just in case the grommets proved troublesome to fit, but the job turned out easier than
I expected.
Dave H

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster