AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chasloew Charles Loew
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
I've not found a replacement temp gauge for my TF-1500 so I'm sending the remnants off for repair. From what I've found w/ search and seen on the car, it looks like the bulb threads into a casting below the thermostat. (This is shown as a plug: Moss part #328-040) From several posts I've seen, it looks like the bulb is a 5/8 dia fine thread. An internet search has led me to Bobsspeedometer in Michigan for repair, and they tell me that the ends are pretty much standard. Can somebody please stop me if this is wrong, or reassure me if it's right? Thanks in advance, -- Chas

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
If you have an XPEG 1500 engine, look at the thermostat housing on the left side and there should be 2 holes, front one is for the heater and rear one is for the temp gage bulb. PJ

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 05:57 PM by Paul J.

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked Paul J for this post
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I believe that each has a different thread.
Dave H

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked Buckdendave for this post
Paul J Avatar
In reply to # 3908258 by Buckdendave I believe that each has a different thread.
Dave H

I think your right Dave, but it's been a while since I've had them open I can't remember for sure. PJ

+1 Yes No Thank
chasloew Charles Loew
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
Here's what I'm referring to. The white plastic plug is what was put in by previous owner. The other side of the housing has a hose that connects to a wye and then to radiator bottom. The car previously had a heater and I expect to add one. Thanks for the input! -- Chas

Attachments:
tfthermostat.jpg    36.6 KB
tfthermostat.jpg

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Charles, is that an XPEG engine? The thermostat housing on mine has 2 threaded holes, one for the heater and one for the temp bulb. What is the engine number? How about the number on the head.
The thread, according to Dave Dubois, 5/8 UNF or National fine. PJ

+1 Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
You might want to source the later thermostat housing if you are planning on a heater. What you show is the early housing with the single outlet. If I have time today I'll try and dig my housing out of the bins and see if I can determine the thread size.

Attachments:
IMG_7309.JPG    42.7 KB
IMG_7309.JPG

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked LaVerne for this post
Paul J Avatar
LaVerne, did the early 1500s have that single outlet housing?

Yes No Thank
chasloew Charles Loew
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
Thanks for solving the mystery. LaVerne, you're spot on. The car number is HDC46-7927, but it has an earlier XPEG engine # 798. I assume it was changed out long ago. The PO told me that it looked like there was a heater at one time. Perhaps with the original engine? I bought a heater with the hope of installing it, but a temp gauge takes precedence for now. If you have an extra housing -- I'd be interested of course! I read that some TD's had a sensor in the radiator, but don't see one there either. For now, I'll install where the plastic plug is. Moss lists an adapter, which is probably what I need.

Thanks again for the help. This is a great bunch. I've had several MGB's, but this is my first T series -- though I've wanted one as long as I can remember. -- Chas

Yes No Thank
Lonnie Cook Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Paul,

According to the TF Service Parts List AKD804:

"Water outlet elbow" Part Number AEG102 with one threaded opening for the temperature gauge probe was used in XPAG and XPEG TFs until XPEG/1001

"Water outlet elbow" Part Number AEG123 with a threaded opening for the temperature gauge probe and a second threaded opening (presumably for a heater) started with XPEG/1001.

"Connecting pipe - pump" Part Number XEG103 with no threaded openings was used in in XPAG and XPEG TFs until XPEG/1001.

"Connecting pipe - pump" Part Number XEG124 with a hex brass plug and washer (presumably for a heater) started with XPEG/1001.

I don't know the chassis number in which the first of the newer elbows and pipes were used. Engine numbers higher and lower than XPEG/1001 were installed in TFs on the same day that my TF7211, engine XPEG/977, was built (23-Sep-1954) and continued the next day. Parts may have been swapped during the change over.

Lonnie
TF7211

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 12:11 PM by Lonnie Cook.

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked Lonnie Cook for this post
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I do not have another double opening thermostat housing....just the original single that came on the car. When I was looking for a double somebody offered one up at a very good price but I do not remember who. I had already purchased one before that offer. They can be found.

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked LaVerne for this post
chasloew Charles Loew
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
Thanks Lonnie! Is the service parts list you quote from available online? -- Chas

In reply to # 3909185 by Lonnie Cook Paul,

According to the TF Service Parts List AKD804:

"Water outlet elbow" Part Number AEG102 with one threaded opening for the temperature gauge probe was used in XPAG and XPEG TFs until XPEG/1001

"Water outlet elbow" Part Number AEG123 with a threaded opening for the temperature gauge probe and a second threaded opening (presumably for a heater) started with XPEG/1001.

"Connecting pipe - pump" Part Number XEG103 with no threaded openings was used in in XPAG and XPEG TFs until XPEG/1001.

"Connecting pipe - pump" Part Number XEG124 with a hex brass plug and washer (presumably for a heater) started with XPEG/1001.

I don't know the chassis number in which the first of the newer elbows and pipes were used. Engine numbers higher and lower than XPEG/1001 were installed in TFs on the same day that my TF7211 was built (23-Sep-1954) and continued the next day. Parts may have been swapped during the change over.

Lonnie
TF7211

Yes No Thank
Lonnie Cook Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Link to downloadable TF Parts List. Download icon in upper right corner … downward pointing arrow with bar across the tip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxisXBEpc-IWbzBTM1RpTDB1ZEk/view?usp=sharing

Lonnie
TF7211

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

+1 Yes No Thank
  chasloew thanked Lonnie Cook for this post
Paul J Avatar
Lonnie, Here's a pic of my cars reg. Bought new in California and owned by a doctor up until I bought it from a gent in Alabama where it was stored in the doctors garage for over 20+ years. I don't believe anything was ever changed. It is a number matching car. Nothing was ever changed since he owned the car, so I'm curious why a low number engine would necessarily be classified as an early model when this engine came with the car when new. Only thing done to the car was it was re-painted?? PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 12:28 PM by Paul J.

Attachments:
MG-TReg.jpg    70 KB
MG-TReg.jpg

Yes No Thank
chasloew Charles Loew
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
Hi Paul,

Let me see if I can guess this one right: I think the serial # is for all TF's, but the engine # is for XPEG 1500's which started in '54. -- Chas

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster