TD / TF gearbox support rubbers very hard

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

automobile Glenn W
Newcastle, UK   GBR
Had a new pair of TF gearbox mount rubbers which were purchased several years ago ,but never used .

Also had a new front engine mount ,which is considerably softer & more flexible when compared to the gearbox ones.

Very recently purchased another new pair of gearbox mounts from Moss & they are as hard / inflexible as the older ones.

Have no experience of TD/TF yet , but I had been thinking that if the rubbers are too hard / inflexible , that engine vibration will be transmitted to the chassis.

Interested to hear other peoples' experiences.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
Yes, the new offerings are hard and almost impossible to install. They have to be trimmed to fit by trial and error. I gave up installing mine and put the originals back in as they were still serviceable. I would love to hear of the "trick" to get these installed.
... CR

Yes No Thank
GB3 George B
Winter Haven, USA   USA
These rubbers have been hard and oversized for many years. They usually need to be trimmed or ground down to fit. George

Yes No Thank
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
It is probably cheap Chinese crap as usual and they didn't consider the shore grade. We had the same issue with Morris Minor engine mounts for years until somebody finally woke up. You can always pop the originals in the washing machine with plenty of fabric softener (Lenor) and they come out lovely. Send the "lady of the house" to walk the dog beforehandgrinning smiley.
Regards
Declan

Yes No Thank
automobile Glenn W
Newcastle, UK   GBR
Thanks guys for all the suggestions , including the plug for Lenor & how to avoid detection !

Seems a pity that no one makes softer ones , have to think that the hard ones must transmit vibration into the car.

What shore grade should they be ? Suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to make a couple from a lump of the correct stuff !

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
The only thing that needs to be done is a very slight radius on the lower outside edge. Be glad they are hard. If they were soft they would disintegrate in a very short period of time.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Bill,
I'm not inclined to agree with you on that. I would not anticipate premature failure if they are made to the right specification. I would think about 70° shore would be about right. I have a set (repro) in the garage somewhere and will measure them on a durometer.
I had terrible problems with resonance on my Morris Minor and it took me years to find the problem. I replaced the propshaft, wheels, tires,dampers etc, a rather costly experience and in the end it was tie-bar bushes which were too hard. I ended up making my own (60°shore) and have had 8 years peace and quiet since. The repro bushes on the market are still wrong to this day and I am not the only one who had such problems.

Glenn,
You can also drill holes in the rubber to increase the flexibility (in case you haven't got a dog)cool smiley

Regards
Declan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 12:26 AM by Declan Burns.

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
If, like me, you were not replacing originals but were installing new ones on a blank canvas it is quite easy to (attempt to) fit the rubbers in several orientations, only one of which is actually correct. Ask me how I know....
Chris

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I didn't have much trouble installing the new mounts in the TF, but I put the engine and transmission in a bare chassis which made it easier mounting the rubbers. I agree the new ones are harder than the originals, but quite an improvement over what I took out. The front was a no brainer, the back mount took more time getting it oriented correctly. I don't notice any difference in engine dampening from the old ones. I think the MGB was more of a pain on the back mount. PJ

Yes No Thank
GB3 George B
Winter Haven, USA   USA
It is important that the new rubbers fit well down enough into the steel mount box so that the through bolt does not end up overtightened. I have seen a couple without trimming that would not even expose enough thread to catch the nut. Overtightening will cause vibration. Also check the mount box carefully for cracks. George

Yes No Thank
automobile Glenn W
Newcastle, UK   GBR
Thanks all for the input , some good tips !

Had considered drilling holes alright Declan , incidentally no dog here , was adopted by a cat several months ago ,it walks unaccompanied smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
TF3819 Avatar
TF3819 Ian J
Drysdale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Chris, nothing to do with this topic,

but are you going to enter our 50th National Meeting at Redlands this Easter? You should be ok for the rolling chassis section of the concours. Ian.

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
1954 MG TF
Hi Ian,
I am looking forward to being there for some of the Easter gathering but I doubt if TF 2071 will be making an appearance. The chassis and tub have been away for some time having a roll bar/head restraints/seat belts designed and fitted. The fabricator runs a very busy shop and I am in no rush to get it back as the extra space in the workshop is making the preparation and painting so much easier.
Chris

Yes No Thank
Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
Chris,

Your seat belt mods sound very interesting, many of us would love to see some photos when done, can you post some?

Cheers

Mike

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
1954 MG TF
Most definitely Mike,
Fabrication will be of race spec material but not to race standards as I believe a 3 inch clearance over the driver’s helmet would be a bit out of place. 3 point seat belts will be certified - as required by our nanny state - and the head restraints should keep the passenger, who suffered a whiplash injury in her youth, happy.
I visited the shop last week to finalise the design and I believe he has ‘very nearly almost started’ the fabrication.
Photos when there is something to see!
Chris

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster