AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TD,TF fuel filter
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Curious as to what filter inserted into the fuel line is most desired? I've been looking into the archives, however there does not seem to be much info on this subject....at least I've not found much. I'd like to go with one that is period style, but first and foremost it must be practical and functional. Any thots?
Rich7771

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Rich there are already three filters in the system. 1) at the tank fuel line fitting. 2) the bottom fitting on the fuel pump. 3) at the carb inlet. If your continually getting a lot of crud requiring frequent cleaning of the float bowls then it’s time to pull the tank and descale the rust and then seal the tank to prevent further decay. Once that has been done you shouldn’t need to worry about adding yet another filter. You can always fabricate screens with a much finer mesh. You can buy a filter from Aeroquip and others with micro screens that can be serviiced. Microscreens however will plug up faster and still require maintenance and will be more problematic in the long run so long as your tank is decaying.

It’s not the answer your looking for but it has been my experience

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

+1 Yes No Thank
ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Bill.

Yes No Thank
ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Gold Member Archie McAllister
Cleveland, TN, USA   USA
Rich, as Bill has stated, originally there were three filters in the fuel delivery system. They are all still in place in my TF but I did add one of those glass in-line filters just before the carbs. Allows you to see if any trash is getting to that point in the fuel line and is easy to clean. Not original for sure, but I like the added bit of info and ease of cleaning. I did the tank cleaning/treating/cleaning routine years ago and have not had any issues since. Good preventative maintenance, in my opinion, even if you are not seeing much trash deposited in the filter screen. If you are forced to use ethanol blend gasoline due to the lack of 100% gas in your area, coating the tank becomes even more important.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

+1 Yes No Thank
  ping45 thanked ArchieMcAllister for this post
Oneshoedbandit Avatar
Oneshoedbandit Chase Conrad
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
Do you have a photo of the filter setup you have? I too would like to replicate, but i want it to look semi-professional and have correctly size fittings on the end. I fear that finding the right ones may prove a costly venture. My thought was purchase a new line and chop it up and put the filter inline.

Yes No Thank
ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Gold Member Archie McAllister
Cleveland, TN, USA   USA
Chase, the TF fuel pump is mounted back near (above and forward of) the rear axle so my set up is quite a bit different. Although you cannot see it in the attached photo, the little inline filter is just upstream of the fuel delivery hose going to the rear carburetor. All I had to do was cut out a portion of the fuel line and insert this glass "see through" filter using two short pieces of fuel hose, which I thinik came with the filter. This type filer is available at most auto parts stores and is not very expensive. Problem with the TD is the line between the fuel pump and rear carb is very short but perhaps you could still fit one of these filters in the space available.

Archie

ps Thank you for your service!!

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

Attachments:
DSCF1857_LI.jpg    41.2 KB
DSCF1857_LI.jpg

FuelFilter.jpg    16.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Saying these cars came with filters in the system is misleading, they came with screens, which only keeps out rocks, dead birds and a mouse or two! Get some rust dust from a fillup at a station with steel tanks and you will see that screens don't work worth a hoot! Put a filter in the line, just make sure it's after the pump, not before. My 2 cents. smoking smiley

Yes No Thank
Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
My twopeneth,

I would fit a modern inline canister type filter, after the tank before the pump, in a position easily accessed.
I am not a fan of the glass ones, there is only a very small filter area, which is fairly coarse and in my experience can rapidly block. Only advantage is that they are visible.

I might ( not got that far yet) fit a modern solid-state pump, cheap and generally reliable, out of sight, and remove the internal valves from that (in my experience) troublesome old SU pump, leaving it in place for appearance only.
Mike.

Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Mike - if you fit the filter as you propose, between the tank and pump, you run the real risk of burning out the fuel pump. If the filter becomes even partially clogged the pump will strain and strain and eventually overheat and burn out. Better to put the filter after the pump to avoid this possibility.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

+1 Yes No Thank
Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
Good point Tom, do solid state pumps burn out in such a manner?
Not sure.
Mike

Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
I'm not sure, and our dear Dave Dubois, acknowledged expert on the subject, as passed away.

My guess is that it would since the windings would overheat, and they are not solid state.

As for removing the SU valves, I don't think you need to - I think the FACET (or other) replacement pump pumps through it just fine.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Yes No Thank
mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Good day Rich. Many years ago I went to a Gof in Colorado, during that I drove up to Independance Pass 12,000 feet, and had lots of problems from vapor lock. What I did when I got home was build an adapter that fit on the fuel tank (I don't like to cut things) that allowed me to put on an auxilliary pump and filter. It pumps thru the SU and has enough pressure to keep the points open on the SU. However if the Auxillary pump fails the SU takes over. The pictures are of the setup on my Y. One is complete, the other is with the output disconnected so you can see the adapter attached. Right now I'm in the middle of making a batch of 6.

Butch

Attachments:
IMG_0665_s.jpg    45 KB
IMG_0665_s.jpg

IMG_0670_s.jpg    43.8 KB
fuel tank adapter sm.jpg    19.8 KB
Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
You can put another pump in line with the SU and it will work fine, or you can have a parallel system. An additional filter is a matter of choice, but if you fit one it must go after the SU pump. It also has to be said that anything that goes through the existing filters will either settle in the float bowl or go through the jet, the cylinders and ultimately the exhaust. MG didn't think a finer filter was required for this reason, but its a matter of choice.
Dave H

Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Hi Butch,
I do not understand how you did your installation ????
Can you help me please ?
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Yes No Thank
mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Hello Thierry. First you disconnect the fuel line from the tank and screw the top side of the adapter to the tank. Then the fuel line to screwed to the bottom of the adapter. The side that attaches to the tank comes out to a hose fitting, a length of hose is attached which then goes to the pump, from the pump another length of hose is attached which goes to a filter, from the filter another length of hose then goes back to the other side hose fitting on the adapter which feeds output side to the fuel line going forward. I ran a wire from the SU pump back to the electronic pump so when you turn the key on both pumps start. The SU only clicks once or twice then the pressure from the electronic pump keeps the points open so the coil in the SU is not energized. The original adapter is still on my TD. I didn't show a picture of it because it is rather oily and dirty after so long, I've turned the odometer over 3 times.

Butch

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster