T-Series & Prewar Forum

TD/TF Convertible Top Front Header Rail

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Townsend, TN, USA   USA
Finally at the point where I'm ready to start work on the top frame for my Victor TF. I found a frame on ebay that's in pretty good shape, but the wood rail at the windshield has a couple of cracks in it and I think I need to replace it. I notice that there's a listing in the Moss catalog and also one in Abingdon Spares. They're both about the same price, but I'm wondering if there's a difference in them. The rail is curved, both horizontally and vertically, and is routered for the locator pins and windshield. Has anyone had any experience with either the Moss or Abingdon rail? Are they routered properly?

Oh, and a couple of pictures as it sits today:

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 11:55 AM by Mickey Richaud.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
0205191246.jpg    35.1 KB
0205191246.jpg

0205191250.jpg    32.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I bought mine from Moss and it worked out perfectly. No trimming whatsoever. I don't know, but both Abingdon Spares and Moss probably sell the same one. PJ

Applegator98 Silver Member J. D. Cellars
The Villages, FL, USA   USA
Mickey: Looking good! Have you had it on te road yet? Just got my tub back from the paint shop. yesterday so now the final work begins. To address your question, I bought both of my head rails from Moss. JD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Townsend, TN, USA   USA
Thanks, Paul and J.D.

Haven't driven it yet, but very close. Still need to address an issue with the throttle return spring before driving it. Then I have to recheck all the suspension bolts, etc. Will have it on the road very soon!

Finally got it titled. It's officially a "1977 Home-made TF-1". Not my nomenclature; the great state of Tennessee came up with that. Don't really care, as long as it's legal!

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Paul J Avatar
In reply to # 3886539 by Mickey Richaud Thanks, Paul and J.D.

Haven't driven it yet, but very close. Still need to address an issue with the throttle return spring before driving it. Then I have to recheck all the suspension bolts, etc. Will have it on the road very soon!

Finally got it titled. It's officially a "1977 Home-made TF-1". Not my nomenclature; the great state of Tennessee came up with that. Don't really care, as long as it's legal!

Didn't change the car any Mickey, it's a wonderful car, great job on restoring it, best wishes and I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment out of it! thumbs up PJ

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
PJ, I can just about bet that the timbers from A/S are not from the same manufacturer as Moss. A/S timbers, for the most part, are a much better quality and their plywood in particular is excellent. I can’t say “The Best”, but certainly much better than Moss

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Townsend, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3886565 by Paul J
In reply to # 3886539 by Mickey Richaud Thanks, Paul and J.D.

Didn't change the car any Mickey, it's a wonderful car, great job on restoring it, best wishes and I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment out of it! thumbs up PJ

Thank you, Paul. It's certainly been a challenge! I've done a ground-up, nut-and-bolt restoration on a TR3, an MGB, and a TR8. Also finished up an MGB GT and dropped a 3.4 V6/5-speed in it. I went at this Victor thinking, "It's a kit car; should be a piece of cake." WRONG!

But it's gonna be worth every bit of it!

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Townsend, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3886566 by TD4834 PJ, I can just about bet that the timbers from A/S are not from the same manufacturer as Moss. A/S timbers, for the most part, are a much better quality and their plywood in particular is excellent. I can’t say “The Best”, but certainly much better than Moss

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate your input.

Mickey

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Paul J Avatar
All I can say is, the excellent quality of the wood, the cut and finish of the piece I got from Moss was perfect. Exact match as the original. I have no idea how anyone can make one better! I guess I live too deep in the woods. smoking smiley

Reno Avatar
Reno Reno Cassar
Zabbar, Malta   MLT
Good morning

One question. It is a nice small project why don't you do it yourself?

I am asking since I need one and am in the process of thinking how to do it.

Regards
Reno Cassar

Townsend, TN, USA   USA
Hello, Remo -

If I had the proper woodworking tools, and a bit more experience, I might try it myself. But I don't have a router, and I'm not sure I could cut the wood to match the two curves. The bow is ~only~ $50, so by the time I sourced everything I need to do the job, I'm pretty sure I would spend more.

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Reno Avatar
Reno Reno Cassar
Zabbar, Malta   MLT
Good afternoon

I have to agree with you it is not worth it.

You need a belts saw, router and belt sander.

The wood to make one costs 20 euros in Malta.

It is not worth it.

I will follow your road but I will order it from mgbits.

Regards
Reno Cassar

MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, OK, USA   USA
I made mine....but I had to build a jig to bend it after soaking it in the pool. Thanks to PJ for sending me his old one to use as a pattern. One end was sorta gnarly, but the other end served as the pattern for both ends. Granted, it would've been much easier to order one from Moss, as PJ did, but I have all the woodworking tools, shop, etc. I just couldn't resist making it and the cap pieces for the tub surround. Whatever floats your boat!
Frank
TF 1891

Townsend, TN, USA   USA

Well, dang! Already ordered. But at least the order was with some other stuff I needed, so might make up some cost difference with combined shipping.

Thanks anyway, Dave!

Mickey

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster