AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
Use zip ties to hold calipers in place so they won't pop loose.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Sorry, but stupid here is still stupid. I see that you have zip ties holding the slave pistons in place. My question is why? Maybe if I explain what I usually do, then you can help me out with why putting zip ties around the pistons helps...

I plan to get my wife to help me with what I call the "press and hold" method: she puts pressure on the brake pedal, I loosen the bleed nipple, she continues pressing while fluid is pushed through the system and out the nipple, and she continues applying slow, steady pressure until the pedal will go no further and then shouts, "OK!", as I then tighten the nipple and then respond with "OK!", at which point she lets up on the pedal and we repeat the process over and over until I see no bubbles exiting the nipple with the fluid. Then we move on to the next slave cylinder.

So, how does putting zip ties around the slave pistons help with bleeding the slaves ("bleeding the brakes"winking smiley?

Richard

C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
First, in my own defense, I did admit that I may not be paying attention. So, I re-read your post - you are bleeding before installing the braking components to be assured that the slaves are working. Got it.

Just ignore me - most people do.

Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Stan explained it on another subject.
It is to facilitate the purge of the hydraulic circuit.

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

Franz Tenbrock Avatar
Waltrop, D, Germany   DEU
1937 MG TA "Fritzi"
Banjo Bolt removal

if the round head banjo installed at the wrong place

http://www.mg-tabc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=919&p=5278&sid=15ede5055d6026b2989d6a051fd97ac1#p5278

Sorry for my bad english, School is 40 years ago, and in my job i don t speek English, with the TA it will be better in a few month

Attachments:
Spezialnuss .jpg    15 KB
Spezialnuss .jpg

Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph 7h Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   DEU
???

Sorry, Franz, there are some more easier) ways to skin that cat…

Ralph

TD 19435

Franz Tenbrock Avatar
Waltrop, D, Germany   DEU
1937 MG TA "Fritzi"
????
https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?46,3827008,3827570#msg-3827570

Bill Casser :
That would be a good one to add to the tool thread above

Sorry for my bad english, School is 40 years ago, and in my job i don t speek English, with the TA it will be better in a few month

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I wanted to remove the crank pulley and replace it. The crankshaft pulley bolt / starting dog on a TF is 5/8 Whitworth, but if you don't have one 1 1/8 AF will fit - its a conventional RH thread. Difficult to access without removing the radiator, etc., but can be reached from underneath. I used a 5/8 Whit socket with a short extension bar fed through the starting handle hole from the engine side, then a socket set u/j on the rad side to a rachet handle. All lined up nicely, but it took a few taps with a rubber mallet to loosen it.
Behind the head of the bolt is a washer, but exploded diagrams also show a shim. Am I right in thinking that the shim goes behind the pulley, to provide fine adjustment of the alignment with the water pump pulley, etc? I can't see any other logical purpose, even though it seems over the top.
Dave H

Have since learnt from the other T type forum, that the shim(s) go in front of the washer to bring the crank end of the starting handle into a favourable starting position. This can also be seen on the exploded diagram in the WSM, though there is no proper explanation there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 08:46 AM by Buckdendave.

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
My wipers always HANG a third way down on my windscreen. Quite annoying. I made a clip out of thin aluminum. No more peek thru them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-23 08:30 PM by ML320X5.

Attachments:
Clip1.jpg    47.9 KB
Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg    39.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3830677 by ML320X5 My wipers always HANG a third way down on my windscreen. Quite annoying. I made a clip out of thin aluminum. No more peek thru them.

When the motor is turned off, the other lever is pulled and rotated to lock into the switch. That action “parks” the wipers off the main part of the screen.

Probably in the drivers handbook.

Peter

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
When installing piston rings push the piston out over the deck and use the jubilee hose clip from the top radiator hose (TD) as a piston ring compressor. Then tap the pistons back down into the bore.
Regards
Declan

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
Mine was parked and fully engaged in the slot but still hanging. I also noticed many TD were the same. Unless I missed something on the adjustment.

In reply to # 3831442 by peter14222
In reply to # 3830677 by ML320X5 My wipers always HANG a third way down on my windscreen. Quite annoying. I made a clip out of thin aluminum. No more peek thru them.

When the motor is turned off, the other lever is pulled and rotated to lock into the switch. That action “parks” the wipers off the main part of the screen.

Peter

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3831560 by ML320X5 Mine was parked and fully engaged in the slot but still hanging. I also noticed many TD were the same. Unless I missed something on the adjustment.

In reply to # 3831442 by peter14222

Peter

Are they keyed onto the shaft or just a screw to locate them wherever you want them, I was just looking at a TD last week and they were snug up against the top of the screen.

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Try locking the switch arm on the motor in place. Then loosen the nuts holding the wipers in place and rotate them in to where you want them to be when the wiper motor is shut off. Re tighten the nuts. Worked for me.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
Hoods stay open in dual positions:

Method one is quick and dirty (rubber pads method),
RTV rubber pads on the leading edge of the tool box.

Method two (stay open rods)
Get a 39.5" long 1/2" tube. RTV a round rubber pad on one end such that it will fit inside the hood latch round metal ring. RTV another rubber pad (old brake caliper cup seal works best) on the last firewall mounting bolt ( the one before it goes beyond the fender). I even put a piece of string on each rod to serves as a secondary safety feature.

Beyond that it's all upto your own imagination.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 07:17 PM by ML320X5.

Attachments:
1540741387712.jpg    40.6 KB
1540741387712.jpg

1540741587118.jpg    35.4 KB
1540741631864.jpg    27.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster