AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
As requested, here's a sticky thread to discuss homemade tools, modifying tools, using tools or other things in ways not intended, workarounds, substitutions, etc

This thread is intended for short tips, to post a longer article please click "Start New Topic"

Thanks!
Skye

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.
Franz Tenbrock Avatar
Waltrop, D, Germany   DEU
1937 MG TA "Fritzi"
i need an adapter for the tacho, the new replica is a little bit different from my old replica
so i designe it with freecad, print it use it,

not realy ready, perhaps i have to change something, but this will be easy

i want to refurbish the old replica and perhaps i will use it again, so i don t want to change the cable

now the adpater fits perfect, 3 for the bottle 1 for my car ;-) i love my printer

i need some pictures of the tacho for a MG TA from the backside, i want to print an orginal like case

Sorry for my bad english, School is 40 years ago, and in my job i don t speek English, with the TA it will be better in a few month

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-13 03:04 PM by Franz Tenbrock.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
adapter freecad.JPG    35.6 KB
adapter freecad.JPG

Speedo alt.JPG    38.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Speedo Replica Ma├če.JPG    42.6 KB
rowinghuge Avatar
rowinghuge Silver Member Hugh Pite
Sidney, BC, Canada   CAN
Here are a couple of pictures of,wIhat I think, a TA case. It is identical to a TC case but has a different drive for the cable. I have a number of these cases for sale both new and used as well as all the parts for the mechanism including complete mechanisms.
Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm that this is a TA tach case.
Cheers, Hugh

Attachments:
ta tach case1.jpg    22.3 KB
ta tach case1.jpg

ta tach case2.jpg    24.7 KB
Franz Tenbrock Avatar
1937 MG TA "Fritzi"
fast and dirty from a freecad beginner ;-)
the measerment isn t ok in the moment, but that is easy to fit
just to show what is possible for everyone ...
i have change the picture, some more details ;-)

Sorry for my bad english, School is 40 years ago, and in my job i don t speek English, with the TA it will be better in a few month

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 02:13 PM by Franz Tenbrock.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
case.JPG    22.6 KB
case.JPG

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
Whenever installing a cotter pin, put a small narrow masking tape strip or something similar on the threads end flat surface to aid in alignment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-15 08:50 PM by ML320X5.

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
On my 51 TD there was a small rotten spot on the tank backboard. I didn't want to remove the body sheathing so I decided to fix it this way. I removed the bottom rail. I then cut the bolts holding the backboard to the metal framework and removed the nails holding it to the sheet metal. I then pulled the backboard out of the bottom of the body. I put T Nuts in the new tank backboard and slid it back into the rear of the body. I used screws into the T Nuts to attach the backboard to the frame. I then reinstalled the bottom rail. The critical issue was getting the screws long enough to fully engage the T Nuts but not too long to hit the sheet metal. I've put about 1,0000 miles on the car with no visible or mechanical signs of deformation. Not the solution everyone would agree with but it worked for me.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Franz,
The speedo thread on the TD is M12X1mm. Yours looks the same. I don't know if the TA is different or not. Most Jaeger and Smiths speedos and rev counters use the M12x1mm thread.
Regards
Declan

Franz Tenbrock Avatar
1937 MG TA "Fritzi"
that problem is solved ..
the adapter works wonderful,
yesterdays the weather was great so i go to Dortmund with the car.

in the moment i try to designe a new full parametric case

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30914&sid=e2a4c3dbf84aac5acbc34258cd528a96

is nearly parametric now, but only nearly ;-)
a little mistake is left

Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
MPJG Pump removal. Similar to a XPAG one.

I spent 3 evenings trying to remove the oil pump that was well jammed.

On the third night, I sat and looked at the problem again and advice that the tube was sticking came to the fore. I had achieved a 5mm gap with a hammer, flat metal plates and a flat taper. I then used some 6mm bolts with very flat nuts and washers to lift the pump. Once I have done this and run out of length, I put a bigger 8mm set in. I removed the pump with spanners rather than a hammer.

This is a picture of the second set. The washers on the left are to protect the block face and are too small to let the 8mm bolt pass through.

Same technique worked in removing the rear flange from the gearbox.

Attachments:
oilpump.jpg    51 KB
oilpump.jpg

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I love it when someone comes up with an ingenious idea to solve a seemingly difficult problem. Good show Tim! thumbs up PJ

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
I've found that Spray and Wash will safely remove grease marks from the Stayfast top/hood, tonneau and side curtains. I spray a little on a microfiber towel and scrub.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

ML320X5 Avatar
ML320X5 Stan Y
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB
2002 BMW X5
I know I posted it here before but I want to grouped it so we can all share some helpful tips.
Its not like A's or B's that have more people involved which helps a lot.

Idea is to bleed hydraulic without the hassle of installing hubs, bearings, shoes and find out it's still leaking.

Attachments:
brake bleeding wo hub back on.jpg    35.6 KB
brake bleeding wo hub back on.jpg

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Stan, never thought of that. Brilliant!

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Great idea Stan! thumbs up PJ

C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Stan,

Judging from the feedback, it seems that you have a great idea. I am getting ready to bleed my brakes, so I am interested. I hate to be the one to stand up and say, "I do not get it", but that is my unfortunate status on this one. Can you explain a little of what you are trying to achieve and how you are achieving it so that the dummy light in my head will come on? Thanks.

Richard

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster