AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
Napier, New Zealand   NZL
1953 MG TD
Sorry l posted the same picture twice

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
F957B93E-2287-40E5-A2D3-5BE151AFC8EA.jpeg    52.4 KB
F957B93E-2287-40E5-A2D3-5BE151AFC8EA.jpeg

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
No. The rear of the valence is hIdden by the radiator shell. The bonnet side panels when closed hide the wing inner edge. There is also piping that is sandwiched betwee the valence and wings

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
1953 MG TD
Thanks, for your replies,that’s exactly what l needed to know.
Have a safe and Merry Xmas to you all.
Paul Boylan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Just finished replacing these strips on TF 2071 and realised what a potential rust trap has been ‘designed’ into them. Has anyone thought of putting a fillet of seam sealer on both sides to keep some of the muck out of the crevices? Or has anyone any good ideas for keeping them rust free?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
You would certainly think so, but I don't think its one of the major rust traps on these cars - as water can readily run off. You wouldn't want sealant to be trap it there. Sometimes they are missing, so I assume they have rusted away, leaving the wing intact or maybe replacement wings don't have them attached.
Dave H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 06:07 AM by Buckdendave.

boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
1953 MG TD
l replaced all mine and have painted them with several coats of etching/rust primer before the final colour will be applied, the edges l removed were 65 years old, the new edges will be around a lot longer.

Paul B

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Though expensive intitially I nowrpoxy powdercoat all my sheet metal as my base for paintwork. I needed to reform some of the sheetmetal on the rear quarter panel along the top rails with repeated blows from a 4# hammer. The powdercoat didn’t chip, crack or flake off. It is permanently sealed and will hold up to any road debris that could likely be throw at it.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster