AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion
  This topic is about my 1951 MG TD
c.allen7500 Avatar
c.allen7500 Charles Allen
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
Bought the TD at an auction and would like to convert the oil filter so it's easier for me to do oil changes myself. Problem is I can't decide which conversion kit I need. The engine serial number on the plate indicates I should get the one for early model TDs (which mine is), but the pictures on installation instructions for the newer version (14224 and up) look exactly like what's in the car now. Restoration was done several years ago so perhaps they put in a later model engine at that time?? I'm no mechanic, but I think I could handle the conversion if I can figure out the right kit!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Charles the early tds had verticality mounted oil filter while the later (after engine No. 14224) had horizontally mounted oil filters. Verify your engine number by checking the brass tag on the right side of the block. FWIW I have the early style and purchased my adapter from Roland Taras. The installation was easy.

c.allen7500 Avatar
1951 MG TD
Thanks for the quick response. The engine number on the plate indicates it should be the earlier (vertical) version, but it's definitely horizontal so I guess something happened during the restoration. I really needed someone to confirm for me what SEEMED to be obvious so really appreciate it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Charles,
It might be advisable to post up a few photos just to be sure and on the safe side. You will be well advised on here.
Regards
Declan

jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Charles, just wondering does the engine number on the plate on the tool box match the brass tag on the engine?

mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Hello Charles. I've attached a photo of three types of oil pumps. The one on the left is for TC's, The middle one is used on early TD's. and the one on the right is the one used on late TD's and TF's. That said some people have changed the early style pump on a TD to the later style. The oil lines will fatigue and break if the early oil filter is not kept tightly attached. Take a look at the second picture, see where the oil pipe attaches to the block look and see if there is a plug in place to close off the hole. PS I make both types of oil filter adapters.

Butch Taras

Attachments:
09050002.JPG    26.2 KB
09050002.JPG

early oil filter 4.jpg    50.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
c.allen7500 Avatar
1951 MG TD
Now why didn't I think to check that?? No, they do NOT match ... so mystery solved, I think,

c.allen7500 Avatar
1951 MG TD
Yep, there is a plug on the block. Is there a website or something for you, Mr Taras?

c.allen7500 Avatar
1951 MG TD
Pretty hard to get clear pictures, but I know for certain it's horizontal!

mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Hello Charles. No, I don't have a web site. There are a couple things I do on the Y web site. Contact me off site at mgyowner@yahoo.com and I'll send you a list of some of the things I do.

Butch

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Charles. Sounds like you have it worked out. But if it turns out you need the vertical one, drop me a PM. I have an aluminum one that I will be getting rid of.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster