AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Some MGTD dash lighting questions
  This topic is about my 1953 MG TD
Fenner Avatar
Fenner Ferman Wardell
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
As I replaced four regular dash bulbs with LED bulbs I noticed that there is wiring for five dash lights. I put two LED lights into the speedo and two LEDs into the tach. The speedo and tach are nice and bright now. That left one light, which I fit into the temp/oil pressure meter. In doing this I tried to bypass the dash light rheostat, which was shot. Connecting the two rheostat red wires to the single red with white wire (i.e., bypassing the rheostat) did nothing; however, connecting the red wires to one dash light lighted up all dash lights. I'm trying to figure why the bypassed rheostat wires didn't activate the dash lights. Any ideas?

On a related subject, my turn indicator light on the dash has yet to work. The turn signals work just fine. I tried changing bulbs, but nothing - actually couldn't get the new bulb in. It appears to be forced and held in by screwing the lens cap. Any good tricks to get the bulb in?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Your dash lighting problem is a ground. When you bypass the rheostat you lose ground.
Wire one of the screws to ground.
As for the other, you can un-screw from the front to replace the bulb.
They make a tool, but if you are handy. Make it your self.
Use a pipe the same size as the front chrome and file down the end leaving 2 sections that fit into the slots on the chrome.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 09:02 PM by AZTD.

+1 Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
You don’t mention what your working on. But there isn’t a turn signal indicator light on a TD that I’m aware of.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank
AZTD Avatar
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Sure there is. Mine is red

1953 MG TD TD23816

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Mike where is it located? Red dynamo. Green fuel. Late cars have i hi beam indicator in the speedo. Is this a late TD?

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank
AZTD Avatar
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
53 TD dash

1953 MG TD TD23816

Attachments:
DASHLIGHTS.jpg    45.1 KB
DASHLIGHTS.jpg

Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
In reply to # 3906009 by AZTD
They make a tool, but if you are handy. Make it your self.
Use a pipe the same size as the front chrome and file down the end leaving 2 sections that fit into the slots on the chrome.

Maybe it's this tool that you want to describe
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Attachments:
Clé pour écrou du tableau de bord I.jpg    30.7 KB
Clé pour écrou du tableau de bord I.jpg

Yes No Thank
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Or the one's that I make for the lamp bezels.
Regards
Declan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 01:45 AM by Declan Burns.

Attachments:
Bezel_removal_tool_MGTD.jpg    73.3 KB
Bezel_removal_tool_MGTD.jpg

Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Declan yes, that's the class!
On Moss ref 384-960
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 01:50 AM by MGTF1500 Ardeche France.

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Ugh. Mike thank you for pointing this out. I forgot that the late dash panels indeed had a third light fitted for directional. I even have one of these as spares hanging in my garage.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank
Fenner Avatar
Fenner Ferman Wardell
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Update. The dash lights (2 each speedo and tach LEDs, oil/temp gauge incandescent bulb, and ignition warning) are all working nicely - finally. Tried the ground with the rheostat but no change, so ran wire from double red rheostat wires to instrument wire "chain." That did it! Man, those LEDs are nice.

Now, what's still not working is the turn indicator dash light. The turn indicators themselves work well at all four corners. The flasher turns off automatically. There is voltage from the flasher (terminal "F"winking smiley to the dash indicator lamp. The lamp ground is good. I've tried several bulbs, but I'm thinking the wrong bulb might be in there. I noticed on Moss that there is a special bulb (Moss # 142-201) for these lamps and another (# 171-000) for other dash lamps. Mine looks similar but is different color base (silver, not brass). One other thing: when activated, the flasher clicks loudly on the first flash but then is quiet for the remaining flashes. And the flashes seem to be more rapid than I would expect. Thoughts?

Yes No Thank
jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Had a similar problem. When activated the flasher would click loudly and start flashing however the speed of the flashes would progressively get faster and faster. Replaced the flasher and all was fine. I had ordered a flasher from moss but it was defective and didn’t work. Went to the local auto parts store purchased a flasher off the shelf and it worked perfectly.

Yes No Thank
AZTD Avatar
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
I used an EL-13 flasher. Works fine

1953 MG TD TD23816

Yes No Thank
Fenner Avatar
Fenner Ferman Wardell
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Update: replaced the flasher with an EL-13, which solved that problem. - thanks, Mike! Of course it took 2 hours with me under the dash on my back, but, hey, I enjoy the tinkering.

Now, for the non-working turn indicator light on the dash. I determined that it does get a signal from the new flasher; however, the bulb doesn't light. I swapped bulbs from the ignition light (which is working), and still no turn indicator light. Poking around in the turn indicator light socket with my volt meter revealed no voltage to the bulb. Result: bad lamp socket. Just ordered new one from Moss. With this replacement all lighting will be working - yay!

Now, on to the next project: lifting that passenger door so it latches properly.

Yes No Thank
Fenner Avatar
Fenner Ferman Wardell
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Received my new Moss turn indicator dash lamp socket - with bulb. Tested it with a 12v source, and it lights nicely. Had a devil of a time installing it into the dash without removing the dash - not sure it's possible. So, I removed the chrome ring and spring and installed it with a plastic "squeeze hose clamp," which worked reasonably well. It still took an hour or so - and my back is sore from lying across the hand brake lever . . .

OK, so that's done; HOWEVER, the light doesn't work! It's connected just as shown in the wiring diagram with the light green wire from the center post of my new EL-13 flasher and a good ground. When I tested the flasher output, the voltage varies with each blink, but it doesn't register anywhere 12v. All advice appreciated.

Attachments:
Squeeze hose clamp - 1.jpg    41.6 KB
Squeeze hose clamp  - 1.jpg

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster