Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
Folks;
Does anyone know how best to retain the geometry of a TD with the doors removed or is it a real problem. I want to take the tub off the frame and turn it over to get at the underneath surfaces, I.e. prep for paint as the PO who did the work before just shot paint over the original color without prep and it is now flaking off. I have the tank back off and thought this would be a good time to get this little job out of the way. Thoughts?

Stephen

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
With the interior panels off you need to attach a steel bar across the top of the door opening on the inside - attach with screws to the wood frame on either side. Then you can remove the doors.
Dave H

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
As such,

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Tub braces.jpg    35.8 KB
Tub braces.jpg

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
Got it. Thanks to all for the info.

Stephen

Paul J Avatar
I removed the sheet metal from the frame to check the wood, clean and refinish, not shown here but the braces kept everything in line when I removed it from the chassis. PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 12:16 PM by Paul J.

Attachments:
TF wood frame 3.jpg    46.1 KB
TF wood frame 3.jpg

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
Did you take the tub off the frame and, I presume, the metal support was strong enough to maintain the alignment or did you risk it. As I said in my previous post, I am only considering taking the tub off the frame to get at the underneath side. Perhaps it might be more appropriate to keep the tub where it is and do the best I can with the removal of the flaking paint and subsequent repaint. I am not trying to make a show car but rather a nice driver. The car came from Texas and has no rust or body issues. It's a numbers matching car so, one day someone will be able to make a real show piece but not me. Did you use tacks to reattach the sheet metal or some other method?

Stephen

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Don't dismantle more than you need to. I had to rebuild the wood frame as many parts were rotten and had to be replaced. To remove the metal I levered up the edges and pulled out the tacks. Those metal panels that could go back were replaced, edges knocked back down and new tacks hammered in. I've been trying to get the doors just right ever since!
Dave H

Paul J Avatar
Stephen, I re-assembled the tub as per factory, using the proper nails. I had to replace the gas tank backboard and the cross brace under it, along with some firewall wood. Not a hard job, just time-consuming. All the metal on the car was taken down to bare metal, repaired, leaded in any defects then primed. No Bondo on this car! Here's a pic of the right rear after cleaning it up. PJ

Attachments:
TF Right Rear.jpg    43.6 KB
TF Right Rear.jpg

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
Paul:
That is absolutely beautiful. Do you have any other pics you would care to share. It does my heart good to see those who have gone down the journey and come out the other side. Thanks for the pic.

Stephen

Paul J Avatar
In reply to # 3886518 by Stephenwolf Paul:
That is absolutely beautiful. Do you have any other pics you would care to share. It does my heart good to see those who have gone down the journey and come out the other side. Thanks for the pic.

Stephen

I have so many pics would get shot if I tried to post them all!grinning smiley If you need a certain picture of a particular area,just ask, no problem. Here's the finished product. PJ

Attachments:
Tulsa Show.jpg    57.8 KB
Tulsa Show.jpg

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
I love the paint. Did you do it yourself? That is incredible. I will certainly keep you in mind as I struggle with my little TD.

Cheers and thank you for you suggestions

Stephen M

Paul J Avatar
Stephen, I'm not a TD guy, but a lot of drive train and chassis work are very closely related between a TF and TD. No, I didn't paint my car, a custom body shop did it for me in pieces, the rest I did myself. PJ

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Stephen. I have done two TD full tub restorations. Contact me offline if you get hung up.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Richs TD Farm Richard Cameron
Columbia, KY, USA   USA
I just used some electrical conduit pipe from Lowes. Smashed the ends and drill a single hole on each end for a dry wall screw. Worked well and I've reused them on another car.

Attachments:
100_0282.JPG    56.8 KB
100_0282.JPG

jddevel Jan M
Trevigro,Callington, Cornwall, UK   GBR
Fabulous car Paul J. I`d be cautious about driving it about the highways and byways of the UK so none of mine will ever look like that. You`ve obviously put in hours of hard work.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster