AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rebound rubber buffer
  This topic is about my 1954 MG TF
chunck01 Gold Member Chuck Branick
Prescott, AZ, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
On 54 TF can the rebound buffer be replaced without any disassembly of other front end stuff like springs, control arms, etc.
Looking at it makes me unsure of what is connected to each bolt. Could not find any info in archives.
Thanks in advance, Chuck B.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
It's been a while, but as I remember you just have to jack up each side of the suspension to relieve the pressure of the top link on the buffer rubber, and it's a bit awkward. A machine screw and two bolts - do you have the aluminum spacer there already? If not, the new buffers need the spacer, and longer bolts.

I hate to say it, but if the buffers are bad your a-arm bushings are also probably bad, as well as the seals. And then check the shock condition, and the condition of the tubes and bushings in the links. Lots more to say, but don't want to overwhelm.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

chunck01 Gold Member Chuck Branick
Prescott, AZ, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Tom,
Had complete front end overhaul, shocks,control arms, tie rods , seals & bushings and bumpers were replaced and all still looks like brand new... however the rubber bumper on driver side seems to have been ripped at the base so I was able to pull it from the location. The bumper on passenger side is fine. , but thought I should replace in pairs.... yes I purchased the spacers you asked about with new bumpers, but was hesitant about starting the work until I know what is going to come apart when I start unscrewing stuff.
Thanks for your help and input. Regards.
Chuck B.
Prescott, AZ.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
As long as there is weight on the lower control arm to counter the spring the load will be off the snubber. As Tom relates you will then be able to remove the two bolts on the spacer and the bolt at the top of the snubber and will then come straight out

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster