rear leaf spring dimension

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

darbas Darryl Bassett
Forest Lake, QLD, Australia   AUS
I have the fun job of working on my bosses 55 tf mg. What i need to know is what is the dimension between the center of the eyes on the fear leaf spring. The reason i ask is he is complaining that the shackles don't swing back under load but swing forward when loaded. When the vehicle is unladen the springs are virtually flat and do not swing past the top shackle center. point which means when loaded the spring will arc up shortening the distance between the eyes hence the shackles will then move forward. Is this normal or are his springs to short as he had the springs replaced a number of years ago. The measurement of the springs of the car is 41" between the eyes and when flat is 42.2". The only thing is the front spring eye mount position and top shackle piviot point on the ca is 43. Any help would be helpj

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I do not have the measurements you seek but if there is no load on the springs they should have some arch as shown. When fully assembled and resting on it;s wheels the TF springs will be nearly flat.

Attachments:
for bud 135.jpg    57.3 KB
for bud 135.jpg

for bud 107.jpg    42.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
It appears your TF springs are weak. There should be 2.85" of free camber. Springs flat at 397 pounds load, nil camber when installed. Length given as 42-1/2", leaves width 1-1/2" , 7 leaves at 7/32" thick.

Many people fit TD rear springs to give a bit more lift. These are 4.1" free camber, length 42" ( less because more camber I guess ) , leaf width 1-1/2" , 7 Leaves, Working load 500 pound at 1/2" positive camber.

I would replace springs with TD units as any luggage on a TF makes the rear springs sag as they are too weak for the job.
But what do I know? I don't own a TF , I had a sad TFrestoration project once but sold it off ASAP!! Bob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Hi Darryl, my TF came with TD springs which, although the material dimensions are the same (as Bob points out) they have more curve and are thus shorter between the eyes. My problem is with the length of the rebound straps. I have been warned that, if they are left off or are too long, it is just possible for the 42 in between the eyes to shorten so much under rebound conditions that the shackles ‘invert’ then flip upwards and damage the rear mudguards.
I realise this is not your current problem but it’s a warning that if you do get replacement springs, or have the originals reset, it’s not necessarily a trouble free upgrade.
Apart from replacing or re-arching your springs it might also be worth looking at the pads between the leaves. If they are worn or too thick they can also affect the arching of the spring.
My chassis isn’t at home so I can’t take any pics but Laverne’s show a healthy angle between the shackle and the springs.
Chris

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
TD and TC. Sorry no TF springs.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Attachments:
SpringSPECs.jpg    17.5 KB
SpringSPECs.jpg

TC springs Spec.JPG    55.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Two years ago, I changed my spring blades with new ones I took at Moss. Blades for TF.

And indeed, they seem a little too flexible and heels from time to time. Especially on our gendarmes lying ... "French expression" Historically, the policeman is the one who controls speeding. The metaphor here refers to a speed bump, or a speed bump, whose purpose is to slow down speed. So the police watch, but lie down.

Would not it be possible to add a blade between the second and third inferior?

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

darbas Darryl Bassett
Forest Lake, QLD, Australia   AUS
Thanks for your replies it gives me some information to work with,we did find another problem today and that is the axle travels so far up ( it does have axle bump stops installed)that the nut on the end of the shocky arm that connects the link to the spring carrier has been hitting the inner guard quite badly. would that indicate the spring to week and over travel even though it has bump stops or are the bump stops to short. This is the first time I have even seen one of these cars and all new to me

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Some pics would help ID some of your problem.

1953 MG TD TD23816

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
It might be worth noting at this point the the locating lug for the axle is not centered on the leaf springs. If you removed the springs for refurbishment it is possible to mount them incorrectly. The shorter length should be towards the front of the car. A picture or two would go a long way to help sort your issue.

Attachments:
IMG_4927.JPG    57.4 KB
IMG_4927.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster