AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Charles94 Avatar
Charles94 Chip L
Matthews, NC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Little T"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Little Red"
Power cut in half riding down interstate. Noticeable fuel on top of one float bowl. Fuel sprayed under engine cover. I’m thinking float needle valve. Fuel has evapped in pic. Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
E251B401-90EE-4A29-94B2-C453C0F13636.jpeg    43.7 KB
E251B401-90EE-4A29-94B2-C453C0F13636.jpeg

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
If some grit has gotten in the needle valve, rapping the side of the float chamber will often re-seat the needle and close off the overflowing fuel. If necessary remove the lid, make sure the fork isn't jammed down, remove the float and clean everything up - you could have sprung a leak in your float.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

chuckmosher Avatar
chuckmosher Gold Member Chuck Mosher
Minneapolis, MN, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1961 Ford Ranchero
1962 MG MGA MkII "Othello"
1968 MG MGC GT "Tordos"
X2 on the float leak, Tom !

I've had that create the same issue for me on a couple of my MG's. It's not to hard a job for the garage amateur like me. The fix I used was to drop the float in a pot of boiling water and look for bubbles coming out of pinholes. Half of my spares wouldn't pass this test ! Cleaned up the bowl and fork, replaced the needle and seat when they looked worn, checked the up and down positions of the fork, and I was back in business.

Chuck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I had a float go bad a long ways from home which was a bummer because I had several more in the shop at home. Easy to tell if it's the float...take it out and shake it. You can tell if there is fuel in it. To repair one on you need to drill a hole to drain the fuel and the patch the hole.... in my case with some JB Weld. After that I carried a spare float for a number of years but I have since removed it from my tool kit as I replaced the brass float with a nytrophil float.

Lonnie Cook Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
One of the float bowl lids cracked on my TF. Sprayed gas everywhere including the windshield. I shut off before I could tell if power dropped. Road home (125 miles) on a roll-back.

Lonnie
TF7211

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
When brass floats leak, it is not worth repairing them, as they will more than likely fail again before long. Close inspection may well reveal mamy micro cracks. Best to replace with plastic floats as LaVerne has done.
Dave H

Charles94 Avatar
Charles94 Chip L
Matthews, NC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Little T"
Look what I found on the flat bed after unload...

Attachments:
B3CB60F6-E2DB-4F5F-821B-9B0B0EEBD42B.jpeg    25.6 KB
B3CB60F6-E2DB-4F5F-821B-9B0B0EEBD42B.jpeg

5E7382FB-2604-415E-A5A8-37E00CFA3E69.jpeg    68.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Put that back in the carb and you are good to go. Never seen one fall off before.

Charles94 Avatar
Charles94 Chip L
Matthews, NC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Little T"
Shame on me for letting these carbs get in such bad shape. Every external bolt was loose. Runs better than ever now! Thanks all!

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888580 by Charles94 Shame on me for letting these carbs get in such bad shape. Every external bolt was loose. Runs better than ever now! Thanks all!

When the clocks change - on that weekend I make liberal use of a floor jack, a flashlight and a set of wrenches.

While inspecting a newly acquired E-Type I found this clamp's break (brake fluid res. to M/C) with my finger. It looked tight and was dug into the rubber, but as you can see wasn't doing any work.

I don't take driving a 60 year old car lightly, even the ones I restored.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Attachments:
Hose clamp.jpg    40.2 KB
Hose clamp.jpg

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
A good argument for solid hose clamps! I don't like those corner store kind.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Is that your house behind the trees. ??????

In reply to # 3888532 by Charles94 Look what I found on the flat bed after unload...

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Richs TD Farm Richard Cameron
Columbia, KY, USA   USA
I have been thinking about T series carbs and still don't recognize the plug you found on the flat bed, and show in the photo. Is it a standard TF part, and where does it go?

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
It says NAPA: or is that a "Sour Grape" Reply ??????

In reply to # 3889417 by Steve S A good argument for solid hose clamps! I don't like those corner store kind.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
No, it's just my feelings about the typical cheap hose clamps most retailers sell. They cut into the rubber and fatigue easily. And the threads are terrible. I shop at Napa weekly but I don't buy worm drive hose clamps there. Maybe I'm just a hose clamp nerd but I find a quality clamp much nicer to use and far better looking, eepecially to the kind of people who notice such things. Not everyone cares though, and that's ok.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster