Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

"Q" Special, Front fender stays/Harford mounts, sneak peek.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Pardon the interruption, posting for a fellow traveler in need of a few pictures.

These are of the front fender/headlight mounts for a "Q" Special build. Note: the shock bolts are available with differing offsets so the shock can be mounted closer or farther from other structures.

Plus - a little preview of the body as it will look when completed.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Front 3.jpg    69.3 KB
Front 3.jpg

Front 2.jpg    49.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Front 1.jpg    52.5 KB
Gas caps 1.jpg    58.6 KB
rustytriumphsrule Avatar
rustytriumphsrule Just The Brit
Get a map, MN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Tabatha"
1957 Triumph TR3A
1960 Sunbeam Alpine "ALFIE The ALPINE"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Terence"    & more
thanks Mitch, that's exactly what i was thinking! i am working on the rear shock mounts today, but looks like i will need to cut off the front fender stay brackets as well,

thanks justin

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3885258 by rustytriumphsrule thanks Mitch, that's exactly what i was thinking! i am working on the rear shock mounts today, but looks like i will need to cut off the front fender stay brackets as well,

thanks justin

If you're installing Hartfords in the rear (exposed, outside the body) I can post a few pics of the mounts I made too.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 12:07 PM by Mitchman2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rustytriumphsrule Avatar
Get a map, MN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3A
that would be great, i am thinking they need to be the same as the bar that holds the originals, just mounted the other way around, thanks Justin

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3885315 by rustytriumphsrule that would be great, i am thinking they need to be the same as the bar that holds the originals, just mounted the other way around, thanks Justin

I flipped the lower shock mount/spring shackle upside down and side for side and welded a bracket to it to be able to clear the spring with the bolt head AND to lower the bolt and open the shock a bit (it got a bit crowded). On the frame, the pics show the brackets I fabricated, prolly a bit over stout for the purpose.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Attachments:
Lower mount 1jpg.jpg    61.5 KB
Lower mount 1jpg.jpg

Upper mount 1jpg.jpg    50.9 KB
Upper mount 2jpg.jpg    51.3 KB
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Cool Car Mitch
I built a set of those shocks to 3/4 scale for my "Miller CycleKart"
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Attachments:
PB261521.JPG    47.1 KB
PB261521.JPG

PB261524.JPG    50.9 KB
PB261520.JPG    38.2 KB
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3885329 by Woodysrods Cool Car Mitch
I built a set of those shocks to 3/4 scale for my "Miller CycleKart"
Brian

Cool. Looks like a lot of work. Are parts available? Chassis, suspension, etc, or do you have to fabricate yourself. There are still plenty of fellas that fabricated '32 Ford hot rod frames from scratch. A bit past my abilities.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

craig.cootsona Avatar
craig.cootsona Craig Cootsona
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Great ideas! it’s fun to see the different solutions to these designs.
Here is another option I used on my car to attach Hartfords to the rear. I made angled brackets like those used on some MMM MGs and attached them using bolts in the pattern of the rivets that held the flat steel crossmember. I should add that some MMM cars flipped that flat crossmember around for Hartfords but added a little jog to clear the differential. My crossmember was a little bent so it had to come out for straightening and to drill lightening holes anyway. The lower link of the damper mounts to a Hartford stud bolted to the original spring plate (stud not yet installed in second photo).

If you mount them inboard, the positioning up/down, fore/aft and side to side is important if you have a pointed tail body built. You want to tuck them in as close to the axle as possible in order to clear the cutout in the bodywork. The position on the dampers on the bracket needs to be such that the arms are high enough to clear frame at full range of motion. In these pics, there is no weight on the rear suspension so it is at the extreme of the range, and I have 1” lowering blocks all round which exaggerate that angle even more. It was a close fit!

Craig
TA 2962

Craig Cootsona
1938 MG TA #2962 ("bitsa" special)
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 01:28 AM by craig.cootsona.

Attachments:
9E388B15-07D6-4384-8756-14BE81541920.jpeg    49.7 KB
9E388B15-07D6-4384-8756-14BE81541920.jpeg

E70DF769-49D3-42CB-845A-D106BD28A782.jpeg    48.1 KB
4489CA4F-28E7-4609-B344-AF1EE0E2A95B.jpeg    43 KB
rustytriumphsrule Avatar
Get a map, MN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3A
i think you approach is similar to mine, i have a spare cross plate that i am going to cut up to make the two brackets, i know Chris Blood in England makes these to original spec, but i don't think he has any available right now,

good to see that the shocks clear the brake fittings on the right, i was concerned about this,

did you have to make custom bolts/fittings for the front axle to achieve the inch drop?

Mitchman2 Avatar
Is your exhaust under the car? Mine's along side so maybe a 1" drop might be something to think about. Fenders will be fitted next month, it's never too late.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

craig.cootsona Avatar
craig.cootsona Craig Cootsona
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
I just used longer grade 8 bolts to secure the front axle, and made up some 1/2" thick aluminum block spacers that stack together to give me two options for lowering. I have a whole collection of longer bolts because I kept adding things and increasing the distance. I added the lowering blocks, then added an anti tramp cable and bracket kit. Thankfully, the rear axle is slightly shorter so I just moved the too-short front bolts to the back! I didn't use the special (expensive) leaf spring bolts with the female threads at the top for the rebound plate because the axle already has a boss there to meet with the rebound buffers. However, they could be welded up without too much trouble if someone wanted them.

My exhaust exits from the side so ground clearance was not an issue. The lowering was recommended by Steve Baker to improve handling.

Craig
TA2962

Craig Cootsona
1938 MG TA #2962 ("bitsa" special)
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster