AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Gents. I'm looking for ways to improve on my 53 TD oil pump so if I have to prime it, it will be very easy to do. The pump I currently have does not have the oil fill plug and hole in the cap. So maybe I could drill and make one. Maybe I could plumb into this hole one of these modern oil fill systems like the drag racers are using. Available from Summit or Jegs. All your ideas and thoughts have been very helpful to me on my past inquiries, so while I have my engine torn down I'm always looking for more great ideas. THANKS

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190107_103915.jpg    37.2 KB
IMG_20190107_103915.jpg

aoil pump td.jpg    39.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
You are pre-anticipating a problem that you have not had yet, I assume.

Priming oil pumps has been discussed many times here with various methods offered. I've had success by turning the engine backwards after trying the 'pour oil into the pump' method and failing.

I would not advise altering the pump. They work as-is, after priming properly that is.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks Mitchell! I understand. But I'm pushing for some new technology input. There has got to be someone out there that has tried some of the new hardware on any kind of engine or even an XPAG/ XPEG. I may even just have to try and find a new oil pump cap piece with the priming port.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Gents. I spent some time today examining my TD oil system and can see what looks to me as a good reason why all the prime oil is lost back to the pan when the engine sits for a long period of time. Using a straw to blow thru the many passages and ports from the oil pickup filter, thru the block and into the pump, there are no points of resistance. It also appears that when pouring oil into the priming port, one will need to crank the engine very soon after or that oil will just drain back to the pan. I forget the name of the principal, but with gravity pushing on all the oil area in the pan, It seems like a certain amount of oil would stay in the tube to the pump. Apparently this is still not enough to hold the prime. What am I missing? I also discovered that the hex plug on the lower right side of my pump head piece would work to prime the pump with a garden sprayer type pump system. Filling from the top of the cover still seems like a better idea. Just trying to prime your minds to educate me. By the way, I can see why the Vaseline works so good for creating the needed vacumm. Thanks Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 07:24 PM by Suntea4two.

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
As said, many methods of priming the pump have been proposed. I tried most of them but in the end found a converted pump up sprayer to fill the galleries with oil worked best.
Since then I fitted a conversion kit for a spin-on filter and fill the can with oil (not quite full) before fitting. Not needed any other method since.
Dave H

skibum12g Avatar
skibum12g Silver Member Erik G
Clifton Park, NY, USA   USA
1952 MG TD MkII
1979 MG MGB
I attached my vacuum pump to where the oil gauge is connected and pumpted it up.
Erik
TDC20596

Erik

'79 MGB
'52 MG TD MK II

Suntea4two Bob Rosa
Kawkawlin, MI, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Now that is very interesting Erik. I like the idea of doing it that way. Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links