Who sells a plastic MGB type fan already modified to fit a T series. PJ

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Rod782 Avatar
Rod782 Silver Member Rod Jones
Port Charlotte, Ex Pat now in Florida, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
I believe Declan Burnes can provide those.

Rod

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/t-series-and-prewar-forum.46/7-blade-replacement-fan.3861331.3861387/#msg-3861387

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 05:12 PM by Rod782.

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
My engine doesn' run hot, even in slow traffic as the engine cooling system was perfectly cleaned out and radiator re-cored, but I'm not too sure of the durability of the old original fan. If a new metal fan was made out of quality material, I would prefer to stay with the stock look. I can only guess where the new replacement blades are made but have a fair guess. eye rolling smiley PJ

Yes No Thank
jagervasi Avatar
jagervasi John Gervasi
Trenton, MI, USA   USA
Hi Paul, Moss Motors sells the fan will bolt right in. I have one on my TD. John

Yes No Thank
jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Paul I recently installed the Mgb 7 blade fan in my td. It was purchased from moss. Since the mounting holes in the fan were larger than the mounting bolts I fabricated sleeves using 1/4”copper tubing. Cut the tubing to length and reamed with a drill bit to accept the mounting bolt. The 1/4” tubing sleeves fit nicely into the fan mounting holes. Everything tightened up nicely. Seems to work fine.

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
You could always paint the plastic fan black so no one would easily notice. That said, I don't recall ever seeing a T-Type fan break from fatigue so I've never really worried about it. The MGA and MGB metal fans that break usually do it at the base of the blade, near the circular center, and come to think of it the plastic ones seem to break there also. Since the T-Type blade is of a different design, where the blades are all one straight piece, I'm guessing that's why they seem to hold up. I have a broken MGA fan here from my A, and upon inspection you could see stretching in the metal at the arc between center and each blade. I should have seen it sooner, very embarrassing. But I've never seen that on the T-Type blades. I even have one here that was hit so hard, the blades are bent about 150-degrees and the metal is still sound.

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Had one on a friends TD break while he was in my nearby town...which was good as he was only going about 15 mph and low rpm. Put one I had in it and later the MGB fan. They pull a lot more air....much lighter weight which should help with water pump bearing life as well I'd think. I paint mine black so they don;t stand out like a sore thumb myself.

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
That's the first I've heard of one breaking from fatigue. It would be interesting to know its history.

The weight of the fan shouldn't make any difference to the bearing so long as it's balanced. But a lighter fan will take slightly less power to bring up to speed when you accelerate, similar to running lighter weight wheels only to a lesser degree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 12:24 AM by Steve S.

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
The blades n TF2071 were quite distorted when I started the rebuild and rather than risk increasing their fatigue by trying to straighten them I opted for the yellow option. One of the threads in the mounting boss was stripped so rather than a repair I rethreaded them all to 1/4 bsf so I didn’t need sleeves to achieve a perfect fit with the new fan. Not as noticeable for the traditionalists as the yellow fan.....
Chris

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Thanks fellas, a little more to think about. To put the plastic fan on I'll have to move the rad forward as I can't get my fat hands in there to remove the bolts, if you have a TF you know what I mean, not a pleasant chore I'm looking forward to. Do you think the new paint they have out for plastics will hold up as well, or better than the plain enamel that's been around forever? I'm not keen on a bright yellow fan. PJ

Yes No Thank
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Paul,
On my TD I have about 4cm between the fan and the rad. Not much but enough with my skinny fingers. I have only heard of (but not encountered, because I ask) problems when the old Hi-Gear Engineering 5 speed kit was installed which required the engine to be moved forward by 10mm. I have sold a lot of these fans ready sleeved and no complaints.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
MGB_7_blade_fan_for_TDTF_8.jpg    50.8 KB
MGB_7_blade_fan_for_TDTF_8.jpg

Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
It can be done - I have the Hi- Gear kit installed. They provide a shortened mounting block for the fan, which I used, but owing to the thickness of the plastic fan I mounted it in front on the rad side. I had to make a special tool to get at the bolts, but I managed it.
Dave H

Yes No Thank
briallpro Avatar
briallpro Brian D
Wilmette, IL, USA   USA
Five years ago I painted mine with a Rust-Oleum product for plastic. No flaking. HUGE benefit in air flow across the radiator when driving in parades!
Mine is a TD so there was a bit of clearance for my hands.
Brian, '53 TD

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
In reply to # 3908634 by Buckdendave It can be done - I have the Hi- Gear kit installed. They provide a shortened mounting block for the fan, which I used, but owing to the thickness of the plastic fan I mounted it in front on the rad side. I had to make a special tool to get at the bolts, but I managed it.
Dave H

Dave, how did you keep your knuckles from getting tore up on the rad fins? Use a piece of cardboard?

Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
No, but my hands might have suffered less if I had!
Without going out and looking in my tool box, I think it was a short 1/4" drive socket and a custom made compact square drive (length of 1/4" square bar with the end at a right angle).
Dave H

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links