Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Ian, I think you may need to check the Australian Design Rules. My understanding is that if seat belts were not fitted when the vehicle was new then it is not mandatory to fit them. However, if fitted, they must be certified and a modified compliance plate fitted. Also, if fitted they must be worn.

Steve, I am having some difficulty understanding your reasoning. My understanding is that in a rear collision the biggest risk in our vehicles would be from whiplash. The force of the collision would be transmitted to the body via the seat which, as it is ‘secured’ by a couple of 5/16 bolts one of which is only mounted through the floor ply, would soon give way. The seat would then come into contact with the front of the side screen box. Both actions would tend to act as do modern crumple zones but neither would offer any protection from whiplash. In a frontal collision the lower limbs would suffer most from ‘submarining’ but you have that rigid steering column to protect the chest and the windscreen to protect the head!

My solution is to have a roll bar professionally designed that includes lap/sash mounting points and head restraints. It will be certified for road use but not for competition. It may also add a little to the side impact strength. I will provide photos of the construction when they become available. I know it will cost an arm and a leg but hey, what are they worth?

We have a retired professional motorbike racer in our club who now drives a TF1500 and he describes its safety features as slightly better than his old Norton....

Chris

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3906640 by Ctwidle My understanding is that in a rear collision the biggest risk in our vehicles would be from whiplash.

I fully agree, and did mention that also in my last post! There is an article somewhere from about 10-15 years ago in a brass car magazine that discussed the danger of body shift. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 11:40 AM by Steve S.

Yes No Thank
binky Bill Blick (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
I would fit whiplash protecting bucket seats before a roll bar. Most whiplash from relatively low speed impact.

Yes No Thank
Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
In reply to # 3906640 by Ctwidle My understanding is that in a rear collision the biggest risk in our vehicles would be from whiplash.

That and the gas tank rupturing and spilling its contents everywhere.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster