chuckmosher Avatar
chuckmosher Gold Member Chuck Mosher
Minneapolis, MN, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1961 Ford Ranchero
1962 MG MGA MkII "Othello"
1968 MG MGC GT "Tordos"
Good Day, Gentlemen !

I finally took the plunge and purchased a 1953 MG TD. Made the year I was born !
I have a long history with MG's (I also own a 62 MGA and a 68 MGC), and enjoy working on all things mechanical on these cars. Body work and trim not so much ;-)

I am purchasing the car from the original owner, and it has not been restored. The car is structurally and mechanically sound, but has been in storage for at least 20 years. I'll learn more as I go along, but this looks like a real gem in terms of originality. I am not sure of the paint history, but the interior is original with a great patina. My plan would be to keep it in original condition, but with enough maintenance to make it a driver for fun and club events. I'd appreciate any opinions on whether this will be possible, and on what elements of the car I should think about for maintenance and repair. I try and do much of the mechanical work myself, but have a good shop nearby that can provide machining and body work as needed.

Let me know what you think I should consider - I will post pictures and other history as I proceed.

Best regards,
Chuck Mosher
Minneapolis, MN

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Welcome! You will find this and the mg-cars.org.uk sites to be real gold-mines of information.

Do you have any pictures?

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Stephenwolf Stephen M
Lakewood, WA, USA   USA
Welcome:
I am sure you will find this forum invaluable in your adventure. I also have a C but its a 69 and am working on a 51 TD. Must be something in the water. Commissioning a car can be tricky. Was there any fuel in the tank or fluids in the engine when it was stored? Is the original owner still available regarding history and are there any records, anything that would give you an idea as to what the car has been through all these years. I applaud your desire to keep the car as original as possible and just as a driver but know there is always pressure to make it better and before you know it you will find yourself embarked on a restoration which is a whole new dimension for the wallet. My C was a garage find from California and had been sitting for 36 years. It had had two previous owners who had both passed away. The car had just under 98,000 miles and with the death of the last ower been stuffed into the garage, as is, fuel in the tank and all. Not good. There are some great threads here on getting a car that has been sitting for a long time up and running again and the first thing I would suggest is addressing the fuel system including the tank. I would also ask how you know the wood is in good shape. As you probably know these cars have wooden substructure and it is one of the areas that can go bad but unnoticed. Thankfully there are suppliers out there with replacement parts I would check that out as well. Checking the wood can be done fairly simply by carefully pulling the upholstry around the tub. Its nailed together as is the sheet metal onto the wood. I'm really a rookie here and so will just back off and let the professionals give you their take. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Stephen

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Marshfield, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
You're in the right area Chuck. A lot of nice TD's in Minneapolis. Great club there also

If the TD was stored well, you should have no issues getting it on the road.

Obviously, hoses, belts, and tires will need to be changed. Look at both front and rear suspension rubber to see how it held up. New rubber is mostly junk and does not last long, so if you do need to replace it, you may want to consider poly bushings.

Clean the fuel tank and fuel lines. I would recommend using a flexible camera to check out the inside of the tank for any significant rust. There is a filter in the bottom of the tank where the fuel line attaches to the tank. Taking this out would be also advisable to assure the screen is clear.

Brakes will need going through. The TD has steel pistons inside aluminum slave cylinders. These tend to get dissimilar metal corrosion over time.

Shocks will also be something to take a look at. Worldwide Auto in Madison WI. is one of the best shops for getting your shocks rebuilt.

Dave Braun would be a person to get to know in your area (if you don't know him already). http://www.dbraun99.com/

Lonnie Cook Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Welcome Chuck -

Spend some time wandering around Chris Couper's website devoted to MG TDs. His info will show you what is needed to keep your new TD in original condition.
https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/mgtd/

Lonnie
TF7211

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
I'm driving a '52 that I bought from the original owner's family a year ago. It had been driven enough and well-maintained so I believe I got a winner. One repaint which still shines. Best of all after updating the ignition it runs smoothly. Age worn parts such as bushings are being replaced (to remove the bumps and grinds). It only has 14K original miles. I added the badges.

Attachments:
IMG_2563.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_1361 2.JPG    53.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chuckmosher Avatar
chuckmosher Gold Member Chuck Mosher
Minneapolis, MN, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1961 Ford Ranchero
1962 MG MGA MkII "Othello"
1968 MG MGC GT "Tordos"
David,

Wow - that's a beauty !

My find has a lot more warts, I will have to spend some time thinking about what to refurbish and what to leave alone with the original "patina" as we like to call it ;-) I've been down the slippery restoration slope a couple times and learned the hard way "it's only original once ... ". On the other hand, doing a complete restoration with tasteful upgrades is a lot of fun as well. I've gone that route with my soon-to-be-completed MGC - 6 cyl, overbore, head work, triple carbs, suspension and steering upgrades, new paint and interior, etc.

But I think I will try and stay true to the original on this one. We have a big car show up here in Minnesota called "Back to the 50's", with over 10,000 cars and 100K visitors. I used to be a fan of complete restorations, and had that desire for my old cars as well. This particular show has a large category of "unrestored" vehicles, which I have grown to appreciate more and more over the years. Maybe because I fit that description as well spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Here's a few initial pictures - I've decided to let Mark at Classic Coaches here in Minneapolis go over the suspension and get it rolling at least. Then I'll take on the engine and see what I can sort out there. I plan to leave the interior and exterior as is, warts and all, for now at least !

Chuck

Attachments:
IMG_0873.jpg    17 KB
IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg    21.8 KB
IMG_0870.jpg    12.3 KB
IMG_0871.jpg    10.8 KB
IMG_0874.jpg    16.7 KB
simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Congrats Chuck it does look like the interior is well worth trying to preserve. The following link will let you enter the chassis number and get the exact build date. I think it is likely a 52 that was first registered in 53. https://www.mgcc.co.uk/t-register/registers/t-type-factory-production-records/ this site will confirm. Based on when the change to the round tail lights came in, your car would have been pre Oct 52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 08:29 PM by simon1966.

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Marshfield, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Totally agree with keeping it as original as you can. I did not have that option on my 1950. It is on it's second restoration right now and this time I am trying to get it back as much as I can to what it would have been from the factory.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster