Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
In the UK the usual way to upgrade the gearbox is to fit a Ford Sierra 5 speed box.

As these are becoming rare and hence expensive, I was just pondering what other boxes might fit.

Mazda MX 5 boxes are very cheap at present, starting at around £45 on the auction site. Even 6 speed boxes are available, at more cost, maybe an over-kill.

Has anyone considered this mod?

I realise the bell housing is part of the cast case on these boxes, so the box would have to be mounted using an adaptor plate, I have done this in the past, fitting a Renault 30 box to a Rover V8 ie the
ex-Buick engine.

Something to ponder over the dark cold winter months.

Cheers
Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Mike,
There will be brand new T9 gearboxes produced in the UK in the coming months so they will not be scarce. I will not disclose who told me that but it was a reliable source. I have no idea on the pricing.

Regards
Declan

Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
thanks, will have a look out

though I fear they will be sadly-dear.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3852566 by Declan Burns Mike,
There will be brand new T9 gearboxes produced in the UK in the coming months so they will not be scarce. I will not disclose who told me that but it was a reliable source. I have no idea on the pricing.

Regards
Declan

Must be someone with some muscle, it's a Ford-owned part.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
I wouldn't be surprised if BGH were involved
http://www.bghgeartech.co.uk/
or Quaife.
https://www.quaife.co.uk/
That is only a guess! I don't actually know who is involved.
Regards
Declan

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Doesn’t Quaiffe already build standard T-9s outside of their high performance gearboxes offerings?

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Both Vitesse and Frontline would be up for it.
Dave H

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Vitesse have been producing a kit for putting an MX5 box into the MGA for some time. I contacted them about the possibility of a T series kit and got the response, as far as I can remember, that they were interested but that the market was quite small and that they were looking at it as a possible future project. In other words ‘don’t hold your breath’.
I decided to get my project TF box reconditioned figuring that would at least get me up and running and I could switch to a T9 or MX5 later if they became reasonably priced. The MX5 box does come with a good reputation from friends who drive them but I believe the T9 conversion kit producer is looking for a new owner as he is wanting to retire.
Chris

Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
Chris,

Many thanks for this, the Vitesse site gives some usefull info, rather expensive but they sell a brand new box with new front casing, so to be expected.

I will pursue my own solution using a used box as a winter project.

Cheers

Mike

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Looking forward to the write up of the results Mike!
Chris

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
Mike I too would be interested. I've done a T9 in an early Morgan and it is good, but sure not as good as a Miata box. There is always a way...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster